PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..
Register Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Slidesorcerer

Reply with quote  #1 
I just discovered a new Lenny recording that is great. It's the Live at Donte's from 84 with solo and trio performances. I think its some of the more aggressive single note playing that I have heard from Breau with him at the top of his game with his pianistic approach. I think that he got closer than anyone else that I know at getting the piano trio thing together with the guitar. There are other guys that play beautiful solo guitar that might be a better but when it comes to getting the Evans/Jarrett thing going on I think that Lenny was the best. This recording can be found for free download on the incredible live music archive site http://www.archive.org.
DaveAnno

Reply with quote  #2 

Hey thanks a lot for the heads up! Great stuff, and interesting to compare to his Bourbon Street recording where he's also playing that seven-string. Cool!

Reply with quote  #3 
Yeah. It's a great find for sure. Bourbon Street is amazing and a higher quality recording but the I think that this is the only recording I have of Lenny's that has an actual swinging rhythm section. The drummers on the Nashville stuff are very stiff but this guy is much more of "jazz" drummer. Lenny is killing even though that their is some amp hum and uneven volume throughout the two discs worth of music. It's free!
kontiki

Reply with quote  #4 
In case some people are not aware of it, there's a newish Lenny live gig that I haven't seen before " Lenny Breau, solo and trio (remastered) @ Donte's, Los Angeles California, USA June 4, 1984  at archive.org   

here are the notes written by the uploader: This is a previously uncirculated recording of legendary jazz guitarist Lenny Breau. I transferred this recording from the master audience cassette tapes. My guitar teacher, Phil deGruy, was a student of Lenny's and he made a number of high-quality recordings of Lenny. He is gradually lending me his masters and I will be uploading them as I get them. So keep your eyes open.

Reply with quote  #5 
Thanks for this. I also have been really digging the 4 disc Lenny masterclass on that same site...are you kidding me?? Its so cool to hear Lenny answering all the various questions, really exciting. I've only made it through a disc and a half, and he's already mentioned Ted three times!

I agree with Paul that some new Ted audio/video would be great, although it would take me several lifetimes to absorb what's already been put up. Thanks as always for all the great info.

This Lenny masterclass got me thinking about how great it would be to hear other masters giving lessons or clinics. Anyone know of any Van Eps masterclasses or lessons that have been recorded out there? How about Ed Bickert? That would be awesome...
kontiki

Reply with quote  #6 
The Lenny master class is indeed great, but I get the impression that there's either hardly anybody in attendance or the attendees don't have a clue as to who their watching! I feel like i would have so many enthusiastic questions for Lenny. Or maybe I'd just sit quietly in awe and not say anything; like these guys.

P.S; I mentioned this before, but it still blows my mind: those master classes were made only a few days before his untimely death.

Reply with quote  #7 
Thought you'd like to know about a new Lenny Breau CD release:

JAZZ CAT RECORDS ANNOUNCES THE RELEASE OF " LENNY BREAU LIVE AT DONTE'S JUNE 18 1984"! 

Jazz Cat Records is pleased to release a double CD of new Lenny Breau material. Recorded live in the last year of his life at Donte's in L.A., CA. 
The performances surpass  Lenny's earlier trio recordings, superlative as they were, as Lenny had achieved total consummate mastery of his 7 string guitar. Thus, they represent the quintessential Lenny Breau Trio recordings.
The Trio consists of: Lenny Breau: 7 string guitar, John Patitucci: Upright Bass, Ted Hawke: Drums.  
This Cd will be available exclusively at Jazz Cat Records on May 1.

You can go to the "Hear or Buy the CDs" page for their samples.
http://www.jazzcatrecords.com/

Reply with quote  #8 
I also just stumbled upon a transcription of Lenny in his self-comping style, here:

http://blog.jonathanbassmusic.com/
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE