PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..
Register Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
andybrown

Reply with quote  #1 
Just wanted to let folks know there's a new Kenny Poole solo guitar CD available. It was recorded live over a period of time at one of his main steady gigs. The sound and playing is amazing, its the best stuff that's been released by far. I think Ted would have dug it. You can find it on CdBaby:  http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/kennypoole
PaulV

Reply with quote  #2 
Wow!  Thanks for alerting us about this, Andy.
Kenny is one of my all-time favorites on solo guitar...right next to Ted and George Van Eps.

Reply with quote  #3 
Just ordered my copy!

Reply with quote  #4 
Thanks for the heads up, Andy. Very nice sound on the guitar. Is that Kenny's old guitar or a new one? Some clicking on the pickups too. I often have that same problem and get the humbuckings potted in wax to stop it making that sound.

(The Song is You" is mis-spelled on CD baby.)

Reply with quote  #5 
Beautiful!  Sprinkled with a few Brazilian tunes.  Is he playing 7 string?  He's getting some very low notes.  I just ordered mine!   Thanks Andy for the news on this!

Reply with quote  #6 
He plays a 6 string guitar and tunes down.

Reply with quote  #7 
Hi guys,

Glad you're enjoying the Kenny Poole music, I thought you would. 

Dan, I think he was using a newer Hofner, he endorsed them for a while, and I know he was happy with it. He was like Ted, he played a lot of different guitars. In the time I spent knew him he used a '70's Gibson ES 350 T, an Epiphone Zephyr Regent from the '50's, an Ibanez Joe Pass, a Buscarino that John Buscarino gave him, a guitar made by Cincinnaiti luthier Tim Brockman, and a few cheap solid bodies. I know he used a '57 one pickup Gibson ES 175 for about 20 years, 1970-1990. 

Nick, he's tuned down two whole steps. He did one whole step for most of his life ala Van Eps, but he started the "C" tuning as he called it maybe 4 or 5 years before he died.

I only had one day with Ted, but he reminded me so much of Kenny. Hawaiian shirts, the exact same type of car filled with "stuff," a love of film music, and a devotion to Van Eps. I wish they could have heard more of each other...

I was honored to write the liner notes for this new CD, and am glad the music is being released, it was recorded really well, and the playing is beautiful. 

I just did a short interview for Cincinnati's NPR station about the release. You can hear it here:

Thanks to all involved with this site, its such a treasure!
NickStasinos

Reply with quote  #8 
Hi Andy,

I enjoyed  listening to your interview and have been playing the new CD non-stop. 

On the back of the CD, "Mas Que Nada" noted "Mendes, Carreras" as the composers?  While Sergio with his group Brazil '66 certainly had a hit with it, I think the tune was originally written by Jorge Ben. 

It is great that Kenny and the Heritage Restaurant allowed a live recording setup to preserve this great music!  I really wished there had been audio engineers to set up camp at Spazio for Ted's performances.  Is there more?

Nick

Reply with quote  #9 
Hi Andy:

I'm loving the latest Kenny Poole CD; thank you so much for bringing this to our attention!  What can you tell me about Kenny's method of playing single-note runs fingerstyle?  Did he employ the classical method of alternating fingers or did he use alternating thumb and finger?  Or something else?

Reply with quote  #10 
Hi David,
Not sure if everyone is aware that the Ohio Fingerstyle Guitar Club filmed Kenny's
last concert from January 21 2006. DVD contains17 tunes with the camera on Kenny.
Breathtaking! It's entitled "Deep End Of The Poole".  Any Interest PM me and I will
give you Palmer's info to obtain it. May have been the best 20 bucks I ever spent.

Barry

bishopdm

Reply with quote  #11 
Hi Barry,

Yes, I have that DVD.  It's absolutely fabulous.  I guess I could just watch that to see his right-hand technique, but I'm hoping Andy could perhaps supply some personal insight.

Reply with quote  #12 
I also have the DVD Deep End of the Poole - plus I made a double-CD set of the audio from the DVD, and mp3 files. Excellent.  Highly recommended!

See the thread in previous posted in our Forums: http://forums.tedgreene.com/post/Kenny-Poole-1170221?highlight=kenny+poole

Reply with quote  #13 
Apologize guys for repeating old info, actually Paul and/or Andy may have originally hipped me to this DVD if memory serves me (doesn't much anymore). Though some of the newer members/lurkers may find this legacy valuable.
Off topic, as we usually speak of guitarists, have you seen the Barry Harris/Howard Rees vids. Mr. Harris actually played with guys with names like Monk and Bird as well as countless others and still teaches in Manhattan every Tuesday (classes are 15$/6 hours) Living on the East Coast==Priceless. The Videos are expensive so I got them through an ILL (inter library loan). If you would like to learn more about that style of playing this may be helpful and I recommend it. Please post if you are familiar with him.

Barry

andybrown

Reply with quote  #14 
Hi guys,

Glad you're digging the new Kenny CD, I knew you would. 

Nick, yes there is more, perhaps several more CDs worth. I don't have it, but the producers are hoping to break even on this project so they can release the rest, so spread the word. I want to hear it!!

David, Kenny had a beautiful right hand technique as you've seen on that DVD. He studied Chet as a kid, that pretty much did it. He was a master of all picking techniques-he used all five fingers, thumb ala Wes, pickstyle ala Barney or Johnny Smith-he could do it all. 

I spent thousands of hours being hypnotized by the beauty of his hands on the guitar.

The first time we both heard Ted was in Kenny's old car. I was at his gig and someone gave him a cassette copy of Solo Guitar at the gig. We went out on a break and popped it in. Kenny knew of Ted's reputation as a fellow Van Eps disciple, and the tape blew his mind, so much so that he gave me the tape! He was convinced that Ted was playing a seven string, which is funny because many folks hear Kenny and think he is too....

I had the pleasure of telling Ted about Kenny, I'm so glad his music is finally getting heard!
guitslim

Reply with quote  #15 
re Barry's comment on "Barry Harris/Howard Rees vids" 

Although not guitar per se, I second the recommendation.  Howard Rees's Barry Harris videos are indispensable .
In the late 80's we had Barry Harris take over our jazz program for a week at McGill University in Montreal.  Barry had all the students building idiomatic jazz lines very quickly and knocked everybody, teachers included, with his take on scales, chords and jazz vocabulary.  Learn from one of the last of the masters.
 Greg
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE