PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..
Register Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
barbarafranklin

Reply with quote  #1 
All the new lesson material and video is awaiting you.
http://tedgreene.com/news/default.asp

Barbara[wave]

Reply with quote  #2 
  Hi Barbara, great stuff, those latest vidz are great, and thank you so much for including that sheet, there are some beautiful variations on that 1st progression Ted plays on there, in fact all of those examples on that sheet are the epitome of  lush.  
  Is that John Pisano we hear say "That's worth the price of admission, right there.." I couldn't agree more.

MikeT

Reply with quote  #3 
Hi Barbara, I just did a 'transcription' of Ted's letter to Phil Brown where he answers some gear questions (I'm in gear mode myself right now that's why I was seeking info on what Ted had to say about his findings).
I'll add a link to the pdf below but can also send it to you in an editable format if you wish to change it (or if I made a mistake).

Maybe you want to add it to the original on the blog page, I'm talking about this one:

Anyway, just trying to give back...because I learn so much from Ted's material.
Best, Michael

Here's the pdf:

barbarafranklin

Reply with quote  #4 
Thank you so much, Mike!  I know that was a lot of work.  I will add it to the relative post on the archives blog -  I am sure many others will appreciate what you have done.  Very thoughtful.  Best to you, Barbara

Reply with quote  #5 
Mike,
Thanks for deciphering the letter, you did a nice job. 
I saved a copy of it for my files.

Reply with quote  #6 
Mike T, Your transcription of the letter is now on the post with Ted's original letter in the Archives.  Again, thanks so much.  Barbara

http://tedgreenearchive.wordpress.com/about/something-special-in-the-mail-from-ted/indispensible-information-in-a-letter-from-ted/

It is posted below the original letter.

Reply with quote  #7 
As happens so often in a teaching scenario, I find that an offhand comment ends up being something that sticks with me and opens up a new level of understanding.  In one of  the last couple of seminar videos Ted talks about how important it is to instantly know the letter names of various intervals for every key.  In Bb what's the bVII?  The III ? What's the iii chord of F? What's the VI of Gb?

I've been working on Andrew Green's book "Jazz Guitar Structures" lately and that book starts off with an idea of using m7 arpeggios in your soloing.  The ii, iii, and vi chords form a  m7 arpeggio so every time you calculate a key center you need to immediately know what the ii, iii, and vi chords are for that key center AND where those notes are on the fretboard.

As I'm working on this Ted's words "You must know the letter name of every interval in every key" come back to me.  Because I seem to find connections everywhere I was reminded of Barbara's advice (back when I broke my arm last year and couldn't play at all for 6 months) that it's possible to practice mentally.  Here's a perfect example of mental practice.  So while I'm driving my long commute every day I spend a few moments mentally walking around the circle of 5ths and figuring out the III, V and bVII of every chord in the circle.  The next step is the ii, iii and vi.

The next step is to have absolute confident knowledge of where each of those notes are on the fretboard.  That brought me back to Ted's "Learning the fretboard" lesson sheets. From there I realized that Ted's "Single Note Soloing" book is largely focused on arpeggio based runs and that the entire book is in standard notation so I

A) Need to know the fretboard
B) Need to be able to sight read which re-affirms the letter names of each note on the fretboard
C) And I'm practicing arpeggios which make that triangle link of understanding between the arpeggio shapes, the letter names of the notes, and the sound they make.

I find that I now have a study plan for the next several months and all of this came from one offhand comment.

James

Reply with quote  #8 
"So while I'm driving my long commute every day I spend a few moments mentally walking around the circle of 5ths and figuring out the III, V and bVII of every chord in the circle. The next step is the ii, iii and vi."

That's great! But could you put a sign or a flag on your car so when I see it in traffic, I know to keep away?

Just kidding. Another thing I've done while driving is to sing various intervals, chord tones, scales.

Or you can just listen to pop songs and, in particular the bass, to hear the roman numeral analysis. If you get stumped you can temporarily turn off the radio and sound out the intervals slowly and carefully.

Or you can just relax and put the Lakers game on.
PaulV

Reply with quote  #9 
The April 2017 Newsletter is now posted along with the New lessons, articles, and transcriptions.
Dig into the George Van Eps material and interview transcript.

We're very happy that our Transcription section is growing - with 4 new ones added this month (special thanks to Damien McGowran).

http://tedgreene.com/news/default.asp

ENJOY!

Quick Navigation:

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE