PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..
Register Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Jarrelles

Reply with quote  #1 
Hello all,

Since I've picked up the guitar I've always wanted to be able to write songs in a kind of indie-pop style, I enjoy artists that can convey the essence of different genres of music through a single song without ever being able to pegged into one genre, (although I'm sure it would just be 'pop'), there are lots of songs and artists i like but here are two that i would consider my goal of being able to compose in the style of, and i would greatly appreciate if you could take the time to listen to them:

I know neither of these artists are TG's level in any way or shape, but i'm hoping through studying teds teachings i will be able to write music with the 'essence' of these styles, which to my ear uses a lot of exotic / jazzy sounds, chord extensions etc. Watching these two videos, these artists are a long way from the level of music I am currently at, while i can play these songs easily from a technical monkey-see-monkey-do perspective, that only helps me slightly in being able to compose in these styles.

I know that to achieve being able to write musical pieces like this and not just blindly play them i will have to undertake a lot of study regarding chord voicings, progressions, scales, soloing, but my reason for this post isn't so much a question as it is hoping that someone at the other end of the road, a more experienced and knowledgable musician, can shed some perspective at what it takes to get where these artists are, what areas would be most beneficial to study etc, especially in the first video with the girl, Tash Sultana.

(I have just bought MCP and Chord Chemistry and am working through them)

Any replies are massively appreciated, thank you.

Reply with quote  #2 
That first one sounds kind of influenced by flamenco, I hear Ebm, Gb, Ab chord progressions because of the tuning and capo but I'd probably play it like Em, G, A chords. You could improvise with the E dorian scale, E F# G A B C# D I suppose...

Reply with quote  #3 
There is the way of knowledge and there is the way of heart.

Ted material can provide you with a lot of knowledge.  Of course, Ted played with heart, too, but you will mostly gain knowledge from his material.

To reach the heartfelt intensity that touches you with these artists, you must dig deep into your own heart.  You must live a lot of time with your instrument in exploration.  Move chord shapes with open strings up and down the neck.  Add fingers and take them away.  Feel your way intuitively.  Pull the feeling out of yourself and the sounds.

Actually, there is neither the way of knowledge nor the way of the heart.  There is only the way of exploration, of discovery.

True musicians learn that practice, living a lot of time in your instrument, is so important.  But nothing is more important than discovery!

Enjoy your deep journey.

tresero

Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveAnno
That first one sounds kind of influenced by flamenco, I hear Ebm, Gb, Ab chord progressions because of the tuning and capo but I'd probably play it like Em, G, A chords. You could improvise with the E dorian scale, E F# G A B C# D I suppose...

The first one is absolutely inspired by Flamenco. Very modal as mentioned with a lot of open strings ringing and chords with no 5.

The second one isn't really that difficult, a few 7's added and some walkdown passing chords but mostly triads. I would suggest you just learn and experiment. You are you, don't try to be them.

The more you play, the more you will learn. Also try to play with others, not just guitar. One of the greatest lessons I learned when I stopped playing guitar for a year to study arranging at Dick Grove was to hear the band, not the guitar player. Ted did that naturally.

Listen to a lot of tunes, even stuff you don't like that much (but respect) and try to do some takedowns. I can't stress enough how your ear is your real instrument. I would rather play with a bunch of guys with great ears than a bunch of guys with great theory.

Reply with quote  #5 
Thanks a lot for listening and answering guys, i guess just more practicing, learning and experimenting! If anyone else has anything to add I'm all ears...
Thanks again!

Reply with quote  #6 
Ted could take any melody and 'walk it' through various musical styles. I heard him do it many times. He was able to do so because he had learned what defined each style to the listener.  I suggest you look into three aspects of the songs of these artists - harmony, melody, and rhythm.  Seems basic, but that is where the sound lies.

There should be certain combinations of these that re-occur. And typically they'll be things that you 'like a lot' as a listener.  Find those, write 'em down, and repeat daily till the rash disappears.  Wait - there should be no rash.  [smile]

A lot of us take this journey - finding the essence of Claude Debussy and other impressionist composers is the same trip, just different landscape.  I've been trying to get that detailed out for myself in my spare time.  I just don't have any spare time.
Jarrelles

Reply with quote  #7 
Yes, i definitely need to do that, i really want to know the 'why' of why i like these sounds, that is why i bought Ted's books, to hopefully understand what it is I'm listening to and why i like it.

Also i downloaded and read through your trail guide of chord chemistry, and it was very very helpful, thank you!

Reply with quote  #8 
Just saw your post. Thanks. I'm glad it was helpful.  Keep your journey going and ask for help.
L
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE