PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..
Register Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
ProfMoriarty

Reply with quote  #1 
As much as I want to do the dual humbucker thing in a Tele, I'm incredibly intrigued by the sounds Ted got from the single coil pickups in the 1993 seminar video. Does anyone know what kind of wiring is going on in that guitar? I can assume that he didn't keep it stock, but I'd certainly like to start by imitating that guitar and working on my next Tele later down the road and going crazy on it when I get closer to achieving a good sound!
LeonWhite

Reply with quote  #2 
I might be able to help you, but I have to look and see which guitar your referring to.  stand by.
L
ProfMoriarty

Reply with quote  #3 

This is the guitar. I've listened to that clinic over and over again these last few years and I love the sound Ted was getting. (I love all the sounds he got)
LeonWhite

Reply with quote  #4 
Well, you made my answer easier . . . [smile]
That is a stock vintage telecaster black guard.  One of the originals from 1950-54.  I can't recall but that guitar may have been called "Lulu"  or "Layla."  It is probably a 52 Tele.  Dicey on the kind of bridge pickup - could have been wound with 43 OR 43 guage wire.  That's not because Fender made them that way, but Vintage Tele's could change from time to time when ted experimented. The 43 guage is mostly a broadcaster pup (and the earlier pedal steel pups) And the amp being a stock fender (Twin Reverb?)  there's not much else to know, I think.   And heavy guage strings likie 13 -56.

L
LeonWhite

Reply with quote  #5 
I thought of one more thing.  The older blackguards also had a blend control in place of a tone control.  The wiring can be found on the internet.  It is a clever approach, for 1950-ish, and on the 52 I had it could produce incredible pedal steel type sounds - very thick warm higher range. Very 'smooth' sounding - not harsh, not much 'spank' but sweet and round - good mids and balanced bass.  Again with heavy gauge strings.  It would sound thinner with lighter gauges I imagine.  Noting the number of times he reaches for the controls I think perhaps he might have been adjusting that.
Going along with that - you should remember that there can be tone changes with volume.  Part of it is your ear reacting to the air pressure changes, but part is the electric sound actually changing. Lowering the volume on older stock wiring set ups can reduce highs. (You see the treble bleed circuits now to avoid that.)  But - in the right hands those sounds are useful - and Ted definitely new about all this and used it to get the sounds he wanted.
ProfMoriarty

Reply with quote  #6 
Thanks Leon. I know there's another post on here, but the pictures don't show up. You don't happen to have any photographs of the routing behind the pickguard, do you? I've already had one luthier look at me like I'm crazy for asking about it.

Are you good with wiring? I have a few things I wanted to do but I'm not sure how to do it. You can shoot me an email at oakwoodnchvac@gmail.com
Thanks for the help!
-David
LeonWhite

Reply with quote  #7 
That guitar, if it is the one I'm remembering, had original routing only.  i.e. it had a route for the bridge pup, one for the neck pup, and that separate angled route from the neck to the controls. (pix are on net).
Nothing else.  I'll contact you via email.
L
PaulV

Reply with quote  #8 
Ted would have probably appreciated this:
http://www.stewmac.com/Pickups_and_Electronics/Components_and_Parts/Capacitors_and_Resistors/G-HUB.html?lac_guid=19458be9-8bb1-e611-80ce-ecb1d775572a&utm_campaign=m5065&utm_medium=email&utm_source=EPA&utm_content=m5065_C_20161123

Reply with quote  #9 
Thanks for posting.  It is very nice.  At that price it would have been affordable back in the era of CC and MCP, and SNS I and II as well. 

Reply with quote  #10 
A sweet passage from Ted Greene's memoir. Here he details a gig for an art exhibition opening with his Tele- Lulu. I am reminded of his great humility and never ending sense of wonder.

"Lulu and the Peavey - nothing else had worked, I turned up the mid-range a little and went for the 'On Broadway' fantasy, also the 'Tequila' fantasy. Then suddenly after rejecting this due to boredom, I suddenly found myself going into a soulful "Georgia on my Mind" in Db, Ab, F, E with Lulu just soaring, singing to a hushed crowd. This was magic even able to thrill myself, Barb and everyone. This was not unlike some of my experiences 30 years at the very beginning of my solo guitar career. Lulu suddenly springs to life, sounding and becoming the soulful purveyor of great beauty that she is. Lulu, born in 1952 celebrating turning 50 this year, the finest stock Tele I've ever been allowed to be the custodian of, WAS THE STAR."
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE