PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..
Register Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
sjl

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi mates.
I am demanding your help in order to figure out in his More or Wes Blues.
Is he explaining a blues lick or is about the top note in a chord melody or progression?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Reply with quote  #2 
Hi Sjl,
This sheet seems to be a kind of shorthand for the the melody notes and the timing of the melody, what is mostly left out is the exact voicing that Ted would use. He does give the basic changes and in some instances give a specific voicing. My guess based on a quick glance is that if you pay very close attention to the rhythmic values and the melody that he wrote, and use the most convenient voicing that allows for the melody notes to be reached, you'll be cruising along in no time. There is an indication in the jazz/blues page that More or Wes Blues has a compilation page, I'm not sure who wrote it up but look for it in the from students page and it may help a lot.. If i find it I'll post it here.
All the best
Tim
sjl

Reply with quote  #3 
Thank you very much Tim.
This is such a wonderful site and you all are great.

Reply with quote  #4 
Hi sjl,
Thanks for bringing up this song.  This page somehow got passed my radar of pages we've posted.  According to the asterisk symbol that is next to the name in the "Blues" section, it should have a notated version in the "From Students" section.  But this is not the case.  That's an error that we need to correct.
I'll take a look at this piece and come up with a notation version that can be used as a skeletal outline for playing it as Ted has indicated.  
I should have done this years ago, but for some reason it slipped through the cracks. 
Hopefully I'll have it ready for the December Newsletter/New Items in a few weeks.
Glad you like the site and are tapping into the resources of our visitors/members here.

Reply with quote  #5 
Hi,
I wrote up "More or Wes Blues" last night.  Thought I'd share with you all what I came up with, and not wait to post it for the next Newsletter.  This is a pretty simple but cool piece.  Unfortunately Ted's page is very difficult to decipher, but I think the notation will make it more approachable.  It hasn't been proofread, but it should be fairly accurate.  Give it a go.

Attached Files
pdf More_or_Wes_Blues_TedGreene_1986-01-10.pdf (1.05 MB, 44 views)

sjl

Reply with quote  #6 
I really appreciate your work.

Thank you mate.

Reply with quote  #7 
Paul, you actually had previously posted a More or Wes Blues compilation in From Students.  It's in Blues Lessons. Thought the new one looked familiar.
PaulV

Reply with quote  #8 
Wow, I didn't know that.  Well, I guess we can have two versions - one with Tab, the other grids only.
Sheeesh......I'm getting old....

Reply with quote  #9 
Paul,
err hang on, your new one is Tab (page 1) and original grids (page 2).
The old one I refer to is in From Students/ Contributions by your goodself/ Blues Lessons (Uptown Blues & More Or Wes), where you have (separately) Ted's original grids and your compilation/Tab (one page). Your new tab is tidier.
Yes?
PaulV

Reply with quote  #10 
The new version hasn't been added to "From Students" yet....it still resides solely on this thread.  This new one has no Tab.  
Which one should we keep?

Reply with quote  #11 
Sorry, yes the new one has no Tab..I must be getting old too...I was comparing them one after the other rather than side by side and not homing in on the Tab (or lack of)..which answers your  question about which one to keep from my point of view; I tend not to look at Tabs so wouldn't miss it. But I'm sure it's useful.
Perhaps keep the old one but with the updates (the last chord name and using blue for 'your' chord names). You could leave in Ted's note at the top about using Db dominant sounds in bar two but add an editor's note "with Cb melody" just for clarity. But up to you of course. Just thinking about these tiny decisions makes me realize what an incredible amount of work you have put into deciphering, interpreting and notating Ted's stuff over the months and years. Amazing.
PaulV

Reply with quote  #12 
Goldglob,
(I still haven't figured out the meaning of your moniker!)  Thanks for the thoughts.  I didn't even think to add the Cb melody note option when adding the Db7 chord in measure 2.  Duh!!!
Perhaps we can keep both versions, and maybe I'll see if Dan can re-do this page to separate the "More or Wes Blues" from the "Uptown Blues" pages.
Something that Barbara Franklin asked me to do when posting Ted's pages was to separate the various arrangements, blues studies, comping pages, etc., when he had more than one on a page.
Ted of course liked to cram as much information on a page as possible, but now for organizing and sharing these with the world it makes more sense to split them up.  
Working on Ted's pages is a privilege and I learn so much from doing so, still sometimes it can be a lot of work at the computer instead of on the guitar.  Sigh.
Anyone care to join me with working on some of Ted's lesson page translation/notation projects?

Reply with quote  #13 
Yes, makes sense to separate the arrangements etc. Wish I could contribute to the site, but I'm afraid any spare time I have is spent floundering through ever increasing mounds of 'to do' lists.
Re moniker: I think of musical notes as little globs of molten viscous gold moving through the black silence of space (rather than black dots on a white page)...something like that!
Cheers Paul, and have a great Xmas break.
James

Reply with quote  #14 
Hi all,

I looked at More or Wes Blues today and agree with Tim Lerch in his post above that Ted probably wanted the student to fill in the chord underneath the melody note.  I would go further and say that the most straightforward way to do this is to use V-2 chords, which Ted called Wes chords because they were the kind of chord spacing used by Wes Montgomery in certain situations.  It can also sound very Wes to harmonize SOME of the chords and leave some of the melody notes as single notes.  Anyway this is a great and very musical quiz, testing your knowledge of V-2 chords and your ability to think melody with them.  You can, if you like, write in your voicings directly on Ted's grids.  Or you can just play from either Ted's or Paul's page and complete the chords on the fly.  You can also, of course, use other chords than just V-2, but they are a great start for this page.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE