PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..
Register Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
Chordwayze

Reply with quote  #16 
I have a copy Ted's 'Modern Chord Progressions' . It was whilst practicing some of his chords that I damaged my left thumb joint. I have had pain there ever since. Not blaming Ted. Just that some of his stretches are impossible for short fingers. So be careful. Do as Joe Pass suggested. ' If it ain't easy,  I don't play it!'

I think what he meant was, if your hands can't accommodate  certain things, find another way. There are plenty of options on the guitar.

I also have Ted's 'Chord Chemistry'. A wealth of info on chord scales that opened the doors to Chord Melody playing.

Another earlier book, in the same vein and equally as good, is
Ivor Mairants's 'Modern Chord Progressions' (They were modern when he wrote the book!

Happy Fretting.
John

A chord is a stack of intervals... They just have to be the right ones to sound nice.
mark_h

Reply with quote  #17 
A general rule of thumb (no pun intended) is if you start to feel any pain or soreness stop playing.
 I found it hard starting to play some of the shapes from MCP when I first got the book. In fact I still find some of the larger stretches near the back of the book pretty impossible. They do get easier with practise though. Remember when a barre chord felt impossible?
There's a line in there about nature changing your hands if you meet her half way. Also there is a sheet of exercises to improve "stretchiness" that I have seen posted more than once elsewhere on the forum.
mark

Eullrich

Reply with quote  #18 
I'm curious can anyone point me to a YouTube video of somone playing some the progressions from this book? I'm in the early stages of working through the I vi II V section.
PaulV

Reply with quote  #19 
Go to YouTube and do a search on "Ted Greene Modern Chord Progressions"
You'll find something.....

Reply with quote  #20 
I found Michael Semmler's which has a bit. This is really good:
Not enough of it though! So helpful to hear someone with skill make music out of it.
PaulV

Reply with quote  #21 
I recall talking with Tim Lerch one time and he told me that every so often he'll pick up Modern Chord Progressions and play straight through the whole book.
I'm sure he's making some nice sounding music out of it.

Tim - tell us about it...

Reply with quote  #22 
Hi Guys,
I love Modern Chord Progressions. yes, I have been known to play thru the whole book from time to time. (sometimes I'll skip the diatonic cycle of 4th section not because I don't love the sounds but because it takes a lot more brain power than just reading the grids and enjoying the sounds)  it usually takes me a few days to get all the way thru but its worth it. Its very easy to forget about some of the movements and combinations so an occasional refresher is very nice. I don't try to perfect anything but I'll stop and play something multiple times if its particularly tricky or just sounds real good. things slow down a bit in the later section of the book where Ted has tons of things with 3 or 7 in the bass.  (not as easy to grab or visualize these but great sounds)
Its very interesting for me that just when I feel like I've been lulled into a sleepy state by many examples in the same key, Ted changes the key to wake me back up. its even more noticeable when you get a good clip going and the individual progressions are flying by.  I think this is a very important book (and I often weep when I remember that there will never be a Volume Two)
enjoy it slowly or quickly, in small chunks or large, and don't be surprised if when you dive in deeply that Ted appears on your right shoulder and whispers gentle encouragements.

all the best
 Tim
Eullrich

Reply with quote  #23 
Thanks for your response Tim!

I'm working through this book for the first time and have to admit it feels like a daunting task. It took me about two days to play through just the first page of the I vi ii V section!
TLerch

Reply with quote  #24 
Don't despair! I think it took me 20 years to get thru it for the first time and most of that time it just sat on the shelf, just do a little at a time and before you know it that stuff will creep into your fingers and your ears.

all the best
 Tim
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE