PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

VISIT OUR NEW SUPPORT PORTAL
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..

Author   Comment   Page 3 of 3      Prev   1   2   3
klasaine

Reply with quote  #31 
The Ab and B natural are all about the V7 chord (G7alt. to a CM or cm). It's the pull to and from C. Your right though, we're pretty OT at this point.

Reply with quote  #32 
Well, since there's nobody on-topic, a little more off-topic can't hurt.

Ken, I was going to let it lie, since it seemed you proved my point, but I think you misunderstood my point:

In a D dorian context, like So what, or Impressions, surely as a default choice for accompaniment behind a soloist, you wouldn't choose G7 altered movement?! I think just about everybody would expect D dorian (d e f g a b c d ) as material for movement for accompaniment (at least as a default choice). If you play G altered your getting Ab Bb C# (Db)  D# ! that's pretty out. I don't think i'd be too happy if i were the soloist and somebody started playing that behind me without any warning while i was trying to develop dorian ideas...    

G7(9 11 13) is fine but not G7 altered.

By the way, I appreciate you making the effort to shed light on this system which i find, as you said, "murky".

Reply with quote  #33 
I may be completely misunderstanding your post but I think - as we're now talking in Dm7 - that the 'pull' would be to and from an A7alt. utilizing the Bb, C and C# of the Dm bebop scale.
Anyway, that's how I interpret it - alt. V7 going to i (or I) ... and I may be totally wrong about all that, lol!?

Reply with quote  #34 
Well, there's really no ultimate "right" or "wrong", just convention and/or personal taste. Again, I appreciate your responses.

I'm talking more about "D dorian" than just "Dm7". Of course there's a Dm7 diatonic to "D dorian", but just by itself it's a little ambiguous, hence the number of scale choices one could use depending on the context. Now, if i want D dorian, real D dorian, I probably will try to stay with the notes "d e f g a b c d"  as much as possible. The A7 altered, will imply more of a D natural minor, or D harmonic minor, but not D dorian. Of course one could still play A7alt within a dorian context and make it sound good, but it could clash with the soloist or melody, and it will ultimately be going out of D dorian for however short or long a time you play it.

If I may suggest a "movement":
going up or down alternating inversions (systematic or not) of i and ii (Dm7 and Em7), is a very easy and straightforward way of getting the classic dorian sound. for example using V.2 (drop 2):

Dm7  Em7  Dm7/F  Em7/G  Dm7/A  Em7/B  Dm9/C  Dm7

one could just go up and down the fretboard, getting alot of movement, using sysyematic inversions (or not) with this easy formula and get (and stay within ) the dorian tonality.

one could also do the "borrowing-thing" from the next or previous chord if one wants a slightly different set of voicings etc.

Reply with quote  #35 
I think we're talking about two different things here - ?

In this case (modally) when I say Dm7 I'm definitely talking Dorian.
Thinking and playing A7alt/doms as a soloist and chordally behind a soloist is absolutely what post 1940's beboppers did/do. Especially from '58 onward (post Kind of Blue). Implying the tension and resolution - even modally. And that is what I personally surmise from the Barry Harris thing - the inside/outside movement sound. I don't like it when Impressions or So What is called and the piano player just lays down a bunch of modal chords in D dorian. Come on, give me something to work with - please throw me an A7+ at least. And when I solo over those tunes I'm constantly snaking around A7, Bbm7, Fm7, Eb7, etc. 

Reply with quote  #36 
We're getting into questions of personal taste. But I'd like to know what Barry Harris' method is for movement that stays "completely" in dorian? and i mean completely, not adding outside tones. It still is appropriate and desirable in music to stay "diatonic" for however long a time. There are always situations where we don't want to jazz up things too much, at least for me. 

Reply with quote  #37 
Judging by his playing, which I love, I would say 1) no system for keeping solely in one mode, 2) unnecessary to have a system for solely (single) modal playing 3) he's just not about that type of jazz - he's a bopper at heart and is all about the pull/release. Modal jazz isn't his thing.

Reply with quote  #38 

I'm preparing Ted's lesson material for the August Newsletter, and found one page that has an interesting comment from Ted.
It's from his "3rd in the Bass Chord Forms - Introductory Page" 1983-09-28.

In referring to a Gm7b5 chord he wrote:  "Should be called G dim.7th, but...."
And referring to a G dim.7th chord he wrote, "Should be G dim.6th, but...."

This does make sense.  

I think Ted would have liked to revamp the entire chord-naming conventions. 
For instance, he would have wanted:
    Dominant 7/6 to replace Dominant 13 no9, 
    Major 7/6 instead of Major 13 no9,
    /9 instead of add9
    Minor 7/11 instead of minor 11 no9.
    And of course, to include his famous dominant 17th chord - a dominant 11th chord with a major 3 above the 11th.
etc.

I think he wanted clear definitions for chords that did or did not include the 9th.

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE