PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..
Register Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
PaulV

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi guys,
The May Newsletter and New Items are now available:
http://www.tedgreene.com/news/default.asp

The Forums have been very, very quiet in the past several weeks, and it would be nice if some of you guys could drop in and say hi or whatever - to let us know that there is a pulse out there. [wave]
Barbara Franklin and I talked a few times about the subject of how the Forums would dry up for long periods of time. We wondered why it would happen.  Her thought was: "Well, maybe they've got so much lesson material from Ted to work on, that they're busy on their guitar and not the computer."
Maybe so.
Anyway, we'd love to hear from you, provide a little feedback, tell us what you like and don't like. Talk about what's going on in the guitar world ("Hey, did you see that Allen Holdsworth passed away.") etc.
If we were on Facebook here I'd ask you to "like" us. [comp]

Reply with quote  #2 
Hey Paul,
Just wanted to thank you for the work you've done here and whomever else may have worked on the various PDFs (adding notation to Ted's lessons, etc). I've been relooking at the Baroque improv stuff again. My hand is still not perfect for long periods of gripping but it's so much fun. I get sad when I think of Ted and in particular Barbara as we had been chatting about this area before she passed. I hope to do some videos discussing my ideas about bach improv and my interpretations of the transcriptions I did of Ted. Speaking of transcriptions I have part IV from years ago not fully transcribed but I think more than the existing one on this site if interested. 

I have a few corrections of a few baroque lessons and minuet transcription, if interested, let me know and I can try to remember where I saw them lol. As far as the quietness goes I've seen a general slowdown in forum activity and blog post comments as well in favour of Facebook as people are usually logged in and doing everything in one place (and getting lots of in browser notifications to keep them hooked), versus going to lots of websites. [smile]

Reply with quote  #3 
Hi Will,
Thanks for the info.
Yes, any corrections to posted material is always welcome. Ted was a stickler for details, and he would definitely want us to "do it right" with his materials.
Yes also for your transcriptions of Ted's stuff. The Transcription section is growing and becoming a wonderful resource for learning to play "exactly like Ted."
Whatever new stuff you have - or old stuff to replace - please forward to me and I'll make it happen.
Thanks again!

Reply with quote  #4 
Howdy Folks

keep up the good work - for me its trying to find the balance between reading the web about guitar against actually playing it - I could say the same about visiting guitar stores...

I also have being trying to get through Chord Chemistry and start looking at the Modern Voicings book.....so much material to cover...

One thing I'd like to be pointed towards is the incorporation of the lessons into building ones own arrangements - any advice on this or can you point me to an article?
Thanks
D
spelgrift

Reply with quote  #5 
Hi Paul and everyone else on the TG.com team,

I just wanted to post to thank you for all your great work keeping Ted's legacy alive and making his lessons available for all of us. My guitar playing has improved significantly since I discovered Ted and began studying his material. Please know that all your hard work is greatly appreciated!

All the best,
Sam
PaulV

Reply with quote  #6 
Hi denaliman,
Thanks for your post. I hope you have a copy of the "Trail Guide to Chord Chemistry" - for that will help navigate through it and give it a little better perspective.
Regarding how to start making your own chord-melody arrangements, one way is to simply learn a bunch from others and really study them, analyze what was done. Look at the lead sheet and compare the basic changes to the embellished ones. 
In the "Chord Studies" section of the tedgreene.com site, there is a series of lessons on "Chords for Chord-Melody Playing" (in 5 parts).
http://www.tedgreene.com/images/lessons/chords/ChordsForChordMelodyPlaying_1974_Part1.pdf
Use these to harmonize your melody tone.  
Also check out Ted various treatments of the first phrase of "How High the Moon" (in 4 parts)
http://www.tedgreene.com/images/lessons/chords/HowHighTheMoon_HarmonizationOfThe1stPhrase_Part1_1987-03-21.pdf
And other similar pages for melodies.

Also, study Ted's lessons on "Chord Substitution" and also on "Harmonic Improvement" in the "Harmony & Theory" section:
http://www.tedgreene.com/teaching/harmony.asp

In other words, dive into these areas and you'll certainly find plenty of food for thought.
Good luck!

Reply with quote  #7 
Thanks, Sam.
Your comments make my day.  A lot of work goes into writing up Ted's lessons so they're more legible and easier to follow, and it's nice to hear that it's appreciated.
I just want to say for the record: I don't take one penny for this work. It's my donation to make Ted's teachings accessible to anyone who is seriously interested in improving their guitar playing and musicianship.

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE