PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..
Register Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 3      1   2   3   Next
PaulV

Reply with quote  #1 
Okay the May newsletter & new items are up waiting for you.
http://www.tedgreene.com/news/default.asp

Enjoy!

Reply with quote  #2 
Thank you, great stuff as always.

Reply with quote  #3 
Just a hint.
If you know anyone who doesn't regularly visit this site, but likes Ted . . .
Give them a heads up that June is going to be a spectacular, amazing, never before, fantastic - well, it'll be a great month like always.  BUT,  something VERY special is heading this way, courtesy of Mark Thornbury and our own Wizard, Paul.  Never heard before . . . rare . . . long . . . free . . . You'll be glad you support this site.
It would also be great if anyone who has the opportunity throws a few coins in the bag after hearing it.  I think this is going to be a fantastic summer . . .

Leon
DaveAnno

Reply with quote  #4 
Sweet! Can't wait for June! And btw that recording of Ted and Emily is really worth listening to, hearing Ted soloing single-note style is a treat. Emily and Ted both play some really cool lines in there.

Reply with quote  #5 
K5 means "the 5th of the KEY" (and NOT of the CHORD) in the Bass. Usually used for pedals on the dominant. He uses this because it's the simplest way to write, in roman numerals, chords above a dominant (5th of the key) bass pedal, especially a i° (i diminished). Writing it any other way is difficult and counter-intuitive. By the way he briefly mentions this in one of the audio lessons.

Reply with quote  #6 
Thank you, Kontiki.  I figured it was something like that. 

Reply with quote  #7 
I have to say the audio of Ted and Emily Remler posted this month is truly great.  It's rare to have a recording of Ted doing single note soloing and comping using a pick.  And Emily plays great, too.  If you haven't already, give a listen to this outstanding jam.
PaulV

Reply with quote  #8 
Just curious:  when you guys download the mp3 files, does the artwork show up?  
I'm using MP3Tag to embed the images, but perhaps for Mac and other mobile devices it might not stay. 
Please let me know.  Thanks.

Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonWhite
… spectacular, amazing, never before, fantastic… something VERY special is heading this way, courtesy of Mark Thornbury and our own Wizard, Paul.…

I just want to agree with what Leon White is saying. Mark Thornbury and Paul V. will have an extraordinary treat for us.

Reply with quote  #10 
Not sure where to post this so will start here in the Newsletter thread where this piece was originally presented. This is a handwritten tab version of this "Original Baroque Composition - 1971", not quite as pretty as Paul's version, but hopefully readable and useable nonetheless.

For those who love Cycle of 4ths progressions there are 2 wonderful ones weaved into this piece.

Thank you Ted Greene and long live this site.

RS

Attached Files
pdf IMG_0001.pdf (1.87 MB, 16 views)

DaveAnno

Reply with quote  #11 
Thanks, I haven't looked at this piece yet and now I will. It's interesting to see fingering choices from another perspective. [wink]

Reply with quote  #12 
Thanks.   In measure 4 it appears to me you notated F#'s, instead of F naturals,  in the chord box/grid(s).  I am just curious, yet grateful for what you posted, what was your rationale for doing this?

Thanks

TABA1

Reply with quote  #13 
Wow, Robert, you really got into it!
I should have left more space above the notation so people could add grids.
Ted would have had a blast reading thru your diagrams.

Reply with quote  #14 
I agree with you, Paul, about Ted having a blast with this material shared by Robert. I also am having a blast with this great material. Seeing the shapes, many of which seem to appear more than once, is serving as an accelerant to the learning of this great piece of music. Thanks again, Robert. If you do any more of these in this genre please consider a ready-made audience right here.   [smile]    The only hing that could make this better is if the chord grids and notation in them were written darker.  Happy trails in your Baroque type of travels.  It's a beautiful adventure, thus no surprise that Ted loved this style of counterpoint.        
TABA1

Reply with quote  #15 

Hi and thanks for the feedback.

TABA1: About the F# (at the beginning of line 4)...nice catch.. that’s plainly a booboo in my reading of the notation. The D Major sound just didn’t sound that bad I guess... Have reattached here with that correction and the darkest scan I can get on my printer. I do have several other similar TABings of excerpts of the recorded lessons but they are all so similarly scribbly i'm slightly embarrassed to post them ..

I recall Ted once saying in a recorded lesson with Mark Levy...when faced with so many interests and so many choices to “do what you love” – what great advice. For some reason, I just love working through Ted’s baroque materials, no doubt cause I just love the sounds of Baroque harmonies and melodies on electric guitar, and the space this opens up between my ears. Part of the joy in working through these baroque pieces is also the discovery of “what the heck chord fragment is he putting together here and why?” (eg the E and F played together at beginning of the 3rd line, or better still the 1st half of line 22) and then piecing the bits and pieces together into the melodic flow of the piece (eg the fullness of line 3 and line 22 – what beautiful overall movement). What a great musical mind he had at age 25 to imagine this piece to begin with..

I happened to be working through this baroque piece in parallel with working through Paul’s “tome” on “Diatonic Chord Scales – Forms for Building in Major Keys, 1976-05-05, 1978-08-18.” from the July 2016 newsletter (Paul : great piece of work that is! Geez and thanks!). I ended up noodling with the principles of the Cycle of 4ths from lines 13 and 14 of Ted’s baroque piece (note the shades of Bach’s Invention No.13), and applying these to some of the Root-based chord scales which renders some different Chord Scale variations, and a great way to practice 3rds and 6th intervals, and give ones fingers a good workout (but it can get tedious to the ear after a while)  -- example attached. I much prefer the Cycle of 4ths version from Ted of course !!!

Regards

RS

Attached Files
pdf Ted_Greene_Original_Baroque_Composition_1971_v2.pdf (1.87 MB, 7 views)
pdf Chord_scale_variation.pdf (560.10 KB, 10 views)

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE