PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

VISIT OUR NEW SUPPORT PORTAL
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..

Author   Comment  
bishopdm

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi all:

Kenny Poole, jazz fingerstylist who, like Ted, furthered the Van Eps tradition, lost his battle with cancer on Saturday, May 27, 2006.  Kenny kept a low profile, living out his life in Cincinnati so as to be close to his family.  He was a world-class musician and guitarist.

There are a few video clips of him playing, along with other interesting items, at the Ohio Fingerstyle Guitar Club’s site (http://ofgc.bizland.com/kenny_poole1.htm).

His recording “For George—Tribute to a Master” is a must have for anyone here.

Rest in peace, Kenny.  Another of the quiet great ones passes on.

Reply with quote  #2 

Until a year ago, Ted Greene and Kenny Poole were the two greatest living solo jazz guitarists. It's such a loss that they have both left us. They had so much in common: a love for classical music, van Eps, movie scores, tuning down, R+B music (Kenny spent several years touring with James Brown!) They both played with a heartfelt yearning that melted the ears and hearts of all types of listeners. They connected with people, and they were the only true geniuses I have ever known. For a clip of Kenny playing check out http://ofgc.net/kenny_poole1.htm.

-Andy Brown

Bob
Reply with quote  #3 

What a great site. It looks like my list of must have CD's has just been added to. It was also nice to see Scotty Anderson represented. Ted loved Scotty's playing. He showed me that NAMM video of Scotty and he justed raved.

I'm sorry for your loss of Kenny. I look forward to hearing him.

YoungBlood
Reply with quote  #4 
Wow, I've never heard of Kenny before. I wish I had, I would have loved to meet the guy, and I did a lot of touring around the area he was based out of.
I'll be buying all his cd's shortly, and trying to search out all his stuff.
My two main guys to play and sound like, now.....Ted Greene, and add Kenny Poole to that list.

Leon White
Reply with quote  #5 

Thank you so much for giving us that link to Kenny poole -  wow - what a gift to us all!  He really uses a minimum of motion to get such a sound - so compact in his right hand . . a lot to learn . .

Paul Vachon
Reply with quote  #6 

Kenny is excellent!  I never heard of him before.  He's right up there in the league of Van Eps and Ted.  Check out that video - very smooth, beautiful tone.  I'm gonna order his stuff today. Thanks for sharing this with us!

--Paul

David Bishop
Reply with quote  #7 
I'm guessing that Kenny knew who Ted was, through his publications, if for no other reason, but does anyone know if Ted was aware of Kenny?

andy brown
Reply with quote  #8 

I sat in Kenny's car and we both heard Ted for the first time when someone laid a tape of  Ted's "Solo Guitar" on him after a gig. We went into the parking lot and proceeded to have our minds blown. Kenny was convinced that Ted was playing a seven string, which is ironic considering many people assumed the same about Kenny (who spent all of his time tuned down one or two whole steps).

I only had one lesson with Ted when I was visiting from LA from Chicago, but we had a great time, and I spoke enthusiastically to him about Kenny. Unfortunately he never got to hear him. It has been my pleasure over the years to see many of the world's greatest guitarists (Howard Alden, Gene Bertoncini) stand in awe after hearing Kenny for the first time, and I wish Ted could have had the same experience. I know they would have dug each other so much. I always meant to send Ted a tape of Kenny...I really wish I had.

I can't believe they're gone-and both at the same age (58). It's such a huge loss-the world of solo jazz guitar will never be the same again.

PaulV

Reply with quote  #9 

I finally got Kenny Poole's Tribute to George CD a few days ago.  My goodness, what a pleasant recording!  If I had been given a blindfold test on this CD, I would certainly have said it was Van Eps, no question about it.  Kenny has really got George's harmonic sense, tone, and feel.  He keeps the bass, inner voices, and melody all nicely under control, balanced, and sounding seemingly independent.  He must be tuned down at least a step, for the bass sounds nice and rich, without it being a 7-string.  I've just recently learned about Kenny, and his passing is a great loss to jazz guitarists.  With music like this one can sense something about the player's personality - intelligence, kindness, humility, and humor.  I hope there's more recordings and vidoes of him around.  I'm sure Ted and Kenny would have been fast friends!

Highly recommended for serious solo guitarists!

Reply with quote  #10 
Just Jazz Guitar magazine printed 2 arrangements by Kenny Poole - "Stars Fell On Alabama" and "Gee, Baby Ain't I Good To You."
As I recall, the arrangements were in notation and tab.

bishopdm

Reply with quote  #11 
Also to Kenny's credit, he was a great cat lover and supporter of his local cat rescue society.  He left behind four feline companions who are waiting for a good home.  Check them out at http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/OH352.html

If I lived close by and didn't already care for eight of my own, I'd jump at the chance.

What is it with guitarists and cats, anyway?

Reply with quote  #12 
Oh, don't break my heart. I'd love to have hundreds of cats, but the two I have would be quite distressed if adopted another. Hope someone out there will consider adopting one. Cats are wonderful pets, with completely unique personalities, adorable idiosyncrasies and full of love to give. Ted & I would never be without cats.

Reply with quote  #13 
I would if I could, but Peanut and Nestle kill me.  Barbera, If you take Peanut and Nestle, I'll take the other ones

Reply with quote  #14 

Anyone interested in a DVD of Kenny Poole playing solo can order  "The Deep End of the Poole"  Recorded on Saturday, January 21st, 2006.  Over 100 fans and professional musicians came to pay tribute to and to hear one of the finest fingerstyle jazz guitarists play his last concert. 

The DVD can be purchased for $20.00 at  http://ofgc.bizland.com/dvd_sale.htm

You have to mail them a check.

You can watch a 10 min. sample of him playing "Brazil" from this concert:  http://ofgc.bizland.com/kenny_poole1.htm

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE