PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..
Register Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
PaulV

Reply with quote  #1 
Okay, the goods are up for June 2017.

http://www.tedgreene.com/news/default.asp

great arrangement of "Ruby" and a new interview of Ted by Robert C. Jones.

The Blues piece this month sounds pretty cool if you can get the feel/sound of it.
I had Nick Stasinos help me with the notation to be sure I had it right.
If anyone needs an mp3 of the Sibelius output to help get your ears in line with the notation, ask here.

I hope someday I'll hear someone play this version of "Ruby" on YouTube.
When writing up these arrangements I learn to play them, but it's nice to hear when somebody really gets it up to a performance level and adds some feeling and personality to it.  On that same note, it would be great to hear someone play all or even part of Ted's arrangement of "Them from E.T."

By the way, I searched YouTube for "Ted Greene Arrangement" and found a truckload of videos.  Nice to see people digging in to Ted's music. 

Reply with quote  #2 
That's a great interview of Ted by Robert C. Jones.  Ted comes off as very enthusiastic, of course.

I love what he said about Allan Holdsworth near the end.  It confirms what I said earlier in this forum, that Ted had a very high opinion of Holdsworth, which might be surprising to some.

And the interview finishes with Ted's plans for the future.  He did perform more and more after the interview as he hoped.  He did not complete his book about the V-System which he felt was very important.  I hope that what I wrote on this site about the V-System is at least a little of the way towards what Ted would have written himself.
PaulV

Reply with quote  #3 
James,
I've read some comments in other guitar forums in which guys have said the the presentation of the V-System is very good, and that it is explained in a way that is easy to understand. So, I think you can relieve your mind of worries about what you wrote.  I personally believe that Ted would have loved how you mapped it out, and it probably would have got him excited to write more work pages.

Just as a side note about the progress of the V-System lesson pages:  Almost everything of V-1 and V-3 thru V-14 are done.  And most of the V-2 pages have been posted.  Yet to come in the V-2 area:  Dom 7+ chords, Dom 7 altered chords, and various progressions using various V-2 forms.
After those are all up we'll look into some of the other more esoteric pages (often relating to the 43 (or 35) qualities, or work pages mathematically mapping out a zillion chords).

I'm just guessing here, but I think that the V-System - especially the V-2 lessons - are one of the hidden treasures on the tedgreene.com site.  
These V-2 pages are bread-and-butter chords for any jazz player (well, for a player of any genre of music, really).
These are not difficult to play at all.....and most of them can and should be mastered by the serious student/player.

Reply with quote  #4 
I attempted the ET arrangement a couple years ago:

That thing is a beast. Maybe I'll start working on it again and see if I can do it any better now.
PaulV

Reply with quote  #5 
Arsenalca,
That's amazing! Wonderful to know someone is playing it. It certainly is a monster of a piece and you did a great job.
Just curious: did you work directly from Ted's handwritten pages, from the new notation pages we recently posted, or something else?
If you did work play through my notation pages I'd be interested to know if you found any typos.
Keep up the good work -- Ted would be proud of you!

Reply with quote  #6 
I can't remember now if I used Ted's sheet or yours, but I like to play from tab, so I always make my own, and sometimes change some fingerings. I think I remember giving up on trying to hold a couple notes somewhere in the middle of this one.
PaulV

Reply with quote  #7 
Well, Ted encouraged students to change fingerings/voicings if the chord was just too darn hard.
He would tell them to use something that is similar, but more friendly for your hands, but still continue work on trying to get the other chord.
The goal is to make music, not stumble through a bunch of finger-twisters. [wink]

Reply with quote  #8 
Well I had another go at it, I think it's a little better.

I found a few mistakes in my transcription (it looks like I used Ted's original, which is a little hard to read), but none in yours, though I didn't check it as thoroughly.
PaulV

Reply with quote  #9 
Bravo!!!!! [thumb][thumb][smile]
Thanks for the video - great to see your fingerings.

Reply with quote  #10 
Nice!!! Sounds great!! Love the video too... Man, E.T. sure brings back memories I was 11 yrs old that summer... we saw the movie at the drive-in haha! There was also a game for the Atari 2600 out at the time. [wink]

Quick Navigation:

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE