PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..
Register Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
PaulV

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi Guys,
Please check out the June Newsletter:
http://www.tedgreene.com/news/default.asp

You're gonna enjoy this month's audio of Ted.
Please share with us your reactions to this recording.
I think it's going to drop some jaws.

Reply with quote  #2 
Listening now, this could also be titled "Solo Guitar, a Live Prequel". Verry very cool thanks so much!

I'm gladly donating $20 to the site, I should have helped out a long time ago. [wink]  

Reply with quote  #3 
Thanks, Dave.  Glad you like it.
Maybe somebody will transcribe it someday.....that will be amazing!

Reply with quote  #4 
Hi Paul,

There is a lot to take in here. I haven't had a chance to look or listen in detail, but it looks great at first glance. I will check it out over the next few days. Thanks for your hard work.
John
earsoup

Reply with quote  #5 
So Ted was in his thirties right ? already so gifted, man it's depressing [smile]
PaulV

Reply with quote  #6 
Ted was 28 at the time of this recording.  Totally remarkable!

Reply with quote  #7 
Mark, Thank you so much for sharing your story and recording with us!  I REALLY love this concert!  Ted in his prime!  Its difficult to think it gets any better than this!

Reply with quote  #8 
Guitarist Andy Brown (featured in our March 2015 Newsletter) wrote me an email regarding the new "Silverman" concert and I wanted to share it here:

Just wanted to say...WOW!!! That Ted recording is so incredible. Been listening to it non-stop. Still can't get over "Girl Talk/ Nice Work." Holy cow!

I've been listening to a ton of Van Eps lately, and when that "Nice Work" kicks in, it's like...wow, those lessons with George Van Eps really paid off [smile]

Just flawless, thanks for making this recording available!

Reply with quote  #9 
This seemed like the best place to post this news.  Webmaster Dan Sindel has retired from supporting the site after more then a decade.
THANK YOU DAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He has a number of other things on his plate, and as life is want to do, these other demands are requiring more attention from Dan.   He did a wonderful job over a long time, and I'm sure all of us are grateful.

Dan will still be around - he's a Ted Greene guitarist for sure, but Jeff Brown will be taking over the regular maintenance.  Jeff was the original builder of the site back 2005 (seems like a decade ago).
So, you'll see a change in the donate button, but it is all good.  Jeff has stepped in several times over the years to backstop Dan when the need arose (Dan unavailable etc.) so he knows the site pretty well.

Good luck Dan!!!  Welcome back Jeff!

Leon

PaulV

Reply with quote  #10 
I also want to extend my thanks to our "humble webmaster" Dan Sindel for all the help he has given for these many years.  
Each month for the past few years I have flooded him with a barrage of emails, each one containing a file for a new lesson sheet and detailed instructions for where to post it on the site, what to name it, or requests for swapping out old versions with new ones. I usually am amazed at his patience with my picky demands!  
We oftentimes rate the month based on our batting average for upload mistakes: "a no-hitter" or "batting 1000" or "three strike-outs."  We always get the job done on time and he does it with a good sense of humor and balance.  
I've never met Dan, but through out contact on this site, a few phone conversations, and some shared audio and videos files of his playing, and the common love for Ted, his teachings and music - we've become brothers.
His life is becoming busier and he feels the need to take a step back from the monthly duties, yet he will still be around.  Dan continues to maintain the Ted Greene Facebook page, and the YouTube video channel for now. 
THANK YOU, DAN!!!!

Reply with quote  #11 
Pardon the gushing, but I've been listening to the concert a lot the last few days, man it's so nice. I was listening to it in the car today and track 17 "On a Clear Day" stood out to me, it's such a beautiful song. I wasn't really familiar with it before and Ted's playing is just so sweet and amazing. Lush harmonies and glorious harmonics. Can't get enough of it!

Reply with quote  #12 
Quite often people here have asked for beginning material.  I'd say the new Blues page released this month qualifies:

http://www.tedgreene.com/images/lessons/blues/12BarBlues_ChordProgAlaWes_LearnStringCrossing_1997-12-11.pdf

It's relatively easy and sounds great (of course).  You'll want to pay close attention to the suggested fingerings that Ted provides.  Often you can keep a finger in place during the switch from one chord to the next.  That's very important.  And "glide" means that you can pretty much slide all the fingers along the same strings to get to the next chord, either audibly or by lifting the pressure enough to slide silently.  There's plenty of places for you to practice the double stop (second finger [usually] placed carefully between two strings so that both strings sound).

Paul's suggested rhythms are very helpful.  However, I play the last four chords with the rhythm: quarter note, quarter, half, whole.  And you can repeat the chords shown as whole notes at the end of phrases, with faster values in a rhythmic groove.  So use Paul's indicated rhythm as a start for your own rhythmic improvisation.
PaulV

Reply with quote  #13 
Hi James,
Yes, when I was writing up Ted's 12-Bar Blues lesson "ala Wes" I definitely heard it as being more syncopated. The first version I wrote had more off-beat punches and it sounded more hip to me.
But then I thought, "Well, Ted's page doesn't have any rhythmic marks, so what am I doing adding them?  I need to write it out simple and straight and then allow others to interpret it however they feel/hear it."
So that's exactly what you did, so my write-up served the purpose of at least putting the bar lines in the right place and laying out the format.
I hope others will enjoy this exercise, be you newbie or veteran player. 

Reply with quote  #14 
Interesting that Ted's tuning on the "Silverman" recordings is tuned down 1 whole step. When he tuned the guitar down I'd only ever heard him tuned down 1/2 step or 1 1/2 steps. I always thought it was curious why he never did 1 whole step ala Van Eps...but here he is doing it!

Thanks again for making this recording available!!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE