PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..
Register Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
PaulV

Reply with quote  #1 
Hey everyone,
The July Newsletter and new lessons, etc. is now up and ready for you.
Enjoy!
http://tedgreene.com/news/default.asp

Reply with quote  #2 
Has anyone been working with the "Diatonic Chord Scales, Forms for Building in Major Keys" page?
One thing that I just recently starting doing is to play the chords in order, but mix up the order of the rows.  By that I mean, try playing one of the E (I chord) from one row, then skip to an F#m (or F#m7, or F#m9, etc.) from a different row, then back to the first row for a G#m, and so on, and kind of make a zig-zag pattern out of it.  Or mix it up with different sequences, or do 2 or 3 in one row, then some in another row, then on and on.  If you make good selections it can be very melodic and a great way to get to know the fingerboard.

Reply with quote  #3 
That new chord scales pdf is excellent! Great idea with mixing it up, I'll play with that today.

Reply with quote  #4 

Thanks for sharing that great idea, Paul.  Some very nice melodies do in fact seem to appear.     

Reply with quote  #5 
I'm very pleased to see the arrangement for Li'l Darlin' by Neal Hefti. I have played this occasionally with a swing band, it's a beautiful song and it's great to see a chord melody arrangement for it. I have been enjoying working on it for the last few days.

Thanks again.

John
PaulV

Reply with quote  #6 
Hi John,
Glad you're digging into "Li'l Darlin'"
Have you created an arrangement for the missing bridge section?
Anything you might want to share with us?

Reply with quote  #7 
Hi Paul,

I think you may have very generously over-estimated my creativity. It's difficult enough for me to play somebody else's work never mind create something myself. With the complexity of these fantastic arrangements I have to grind away simplifying and practicing until I can find a way through it that is reasonably fluent. Having made my excuses, I should add that I don't think I have heard the bridge section, it doesn't seem to appear in the (instrumental) big band arrangement that I am familiar with or any of the Basie performances I have seen on YouTube. Or maybe it isn't different enough for me to have distinguished it from the verses. In any case I am grateful for your work in making this beautiful melody and harmony accessible.

John
DaveAnno

Reply with quote  #8 

Hey John,

The bridge is played in this clip of Basie, but it is played pretty liberally like a solo, (around 1:48) :

I did see that the bridge is omitted in many cases though.

Reply with quote  #9 
Hi Dave,
Yes, thanks for pointing that out. The solo section is the bridge. Since the melody is interpreted loosely during the solo and there is no key change or rhythmic change it all just runs together seamlessly as you might expect. Beautiful.

John
James

Reply with quote  #10 
And here I thought "Little Darling" was just a name Bob Marley used for his chef.
PaulV

Reply with quote  #11 
Yeah, I didn't know this song either. It's a very nice jazz piece.
I thought it was in reference to the Beatles' "Here Comes the Sun"  [smile]

Here comes the sun, here comes the sun,
And I say it's all right.

Little darling, it's been a long cold lonely winter
Little darling, it feels like years since it's been here
Here comes the sun, here comes the sun
And I say it's all right.

Little darling, the smiles returning to the faces
Little darling, it seems like years since it's been here
Here comes the sun, here comes the sun
And I say it's all right....

Reply with quote  #12 
Paul, as the 'bridge' mentioned above is really just the first 16 bars of the 2nd time through the 32 bar form, my guess is that the words and written melody for this section were perhaps added later (probably by another artist) and based on the trumpet solo we hear above. What was your source for this section?
DaveAnno

Reply with quote  #13 
Aha goldglob I'll bet you're right. According to this site there were two sets of lyrics written:

http://www.jazzstandards.com/compositions-2/lildarlin.htm

The version Paul used was the second set of lyrics. I think the bridge is cool too though and I may try to arrange it. [wink]

Reply with quote  #14 
Oops I seem to have generated some interesting discussion with my Li'l' Darlin' comment. Having been working on it for a couple of days and looked at the bridge section in question, it does seem that the melody is less than interesting, sitting on an A note for nearly 8 bars out of 16. And it's always a solo in the live performances that I have seen on YouTube. So what I intend to do is play the chords as written in the posted chart with a very basic walking bass line if I can manage to play that as slowly as it needs to be for this very slow song. Thanks for all the interest. John
PaulV

Reply with quote  #15 
Here is the lead sheet I used when writing up this page.
This page is in Eb, so I had to transpose to F for Ted's arrangement.

Attached Files
pdf Lil_Darlin,_Lead_Sheet.pdf (348.59 KB, 16 views)

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE