PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..
Register Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
thedeathmetalleopard

Reply with quote  #1 
I picked this up over a year ago, but it's sat in my ever growing pile of "books I will get to" after an initial cursory glance. There are some fantastic licks or motifs in the book which are great for helping you break out of scale runs and stale ideas. While I won't be memorising every passage, I do think this book could be valuable for anyone stuck in the "box shapes" so to speak. It has helped my playing on a more conceptual level, allowing me to visualise and hear much more elaborate lines.

Just a heads up if someone was looking for some new material in this field.

GregB

Reply with quote  #2 
I've had that book for years.  I occasionally work on it.  I even used it in some guitar lessons.  But yeah, it also vanished in my bookcase of music books.

It does have some great riffs in it.  I don't know if it's still in print though.

wolflen

Reply with quote  #3 
i work with it ALOT...my third go through with it..it has changed my approach to solo work dramatically...also playing over altered chords is now just part of a solo instead of trying to figure out what to play over it...

if you are serious to break out of pattern playing...this one will do it...of course it will take commitment & practice...

you can find it online...amazon has it...

highly recommend it...

wolf
wkriski

Reply with quote  #4 
i have that book, right now I prefer his Fusion guitar because he has full solos written out in standard style as well as 'contemporary' using wider intervals. I always like to see practical implementations of the ideas.

Reply with quote  #5 
I also really like his book, "Jazz Blues Styles"
http://www.melbay.com/authors.asp?author=259

Anders

Reply with quote  #6 

Joe´s books are great. I have Intervallic Designs and Fusion.

I think it´s cool that Ted wrote the foreword to Fusion. Did they ever played together?

floatingbridge

Reply with quote  #7 
(As I do with most books of this kind), it has an accompanying CD, take a listen to all the examples and put a star in the book next to the ones you dig and learn those. (I did this with those first 120 some odd examples in the Thesaurus of Scales and Melodic Patterns. Play through it all and decide which are the ones you really dig.
Ampcrazy

Reply with quote  #8 
Yes i have Intervallic Designs as well. Very cool book lot's of ideas using different intervals that really break you out of your habits that you've grown used to.

Coming from the rock and blues guitar background as i do this is a way to really expand your ears and fingers.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE