PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..
Register Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
James

Reply with quote  #1 
I'd like to talk about the sheet: Jazzy Blues Ala Early '60s N.Y. which can be downloaded here:

http://tedgreene.com/images/lessons/blues/JazzyBluesAlaEarly60sNY_TedGreene_2005-06-16.pdf

This is a sheet Ted prepared for an individual student a month before Ted died.  So it's one of the last he created.

If you're looking for Ted material that is not too hard physically, in terms of stretches, then you'll find a lot of it in the Blues category and this sheet is no exception.  The most difficult chord is the first one, where if you finger it the normal way with four separate fingers, involves leaning over the third finger quite a bit so that you minimize the stretch between it and the pinky.  (There are some other possible fingerings for this chord, like reversing the 2nd and 3rd fingers, but I think you will probably do best with the normal 1 2 4 3 fingering, low to high.)  For the second chord, I like using the pinky for both top notes.

You might be wondering what these strange chords are where you play on strings: 5 4 2 1, with a gap on string 3.  These are V-5 chords.  This sheet could go in the V-System V-5 area but since it's a Blues, it's in the Blues section.

If you take the bass note in these chords and move it above the tenor, up an octave, you get a familiar V-2 shape.  You really want to see the relationship between these unfamiliar V-5s and the V-2 friends they convert to by lifting the bass an octave.  Similarly, you can always get a V-5 FROM a V-2 by dropping the tenor an octave.

In measures 6, 7, and 8, Ted string transfers some of these V-5 chords from the the 5 4 2 1 string set to the 6 5 3 2 string set.  Same notes, different strings.  This gets him up the neck so that he can reach the one V-8 chord on the page at the beginning of measure 7.

After you can play this sheet, you'll want to give it a rhythmic feel, like dotted quarter followed by eighth tied to half for some measures and with lots of eighth note anticipations in other measures.

This is also a great sheet to watch and be aware of the invisible root notes.  Every chord on this sheet is a dominant chord and most have the tritone between the 3 and b7 in the bottom two voices.

This is a nice little page for you from Ted that mixes Blues, V-System chords, great sound and tasteful dissonance.  I think you will like it.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE