PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..
Register Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
RobertS

Reply with quote  #1 
Have been delving into some recent music and trying to stay "current" to a minimal degree with modern music I came across Jacob Collier -- quite a talented and musical one-man band who is making a name for himself purely based on his musicality and output..

There is a fascinating interview with him on the subject of music theory (Part 2 posted here, Part 1 is also very interesting), where I almost hear a young Ted Greene talking, given Jacob's extensive knowledge of harmony, chord voicings, and rhythms...something tells me Ted would have found this young 21 year old very endearing.

Second link here is Jacob's version of Danny Boy which is a recurring tune of discussion here in the Forums. Thought the Danny Boy fans would find this rendition to be interesting -- very cool chords choices, some cool close harmony, and modern sounds...

Maybe my pre-teen kids will find me more musically "with it", if I talk to them about Jacob Collier, rather than Bach and Ted Greene [smile]

James

Reply with quote  #2 
That's very interesting.  I appreciate his intelligence and enthusiasm.

The idea of using "negative harmony," that is the inversion of familiar music structures flipped around a particular pivot pitch, for the purpose of idea generation, for creativity, is fascinating.

Thank you for sharing this.
dylkerslake_eire

Reply with quote  #3 
Thanks for sharing, I hadn't heard Jacob Collier's music before, his harmonies are lovely
LeonWhite

Reply with quote  #4 
Thank you so much!!!  Like Ted, he has the "beautiful harmony" thing going on, but ck out his stevie wonder arrangements on You tube.  Whew!

I am familiar with his work from some time ago.  The thing I find interesting is that much of his harmony is created with stacks of 5 or 6 notes, but often less.  I don't know if I've got the energy to transpose on to guitar, but I think it would be worthwhile even just for snippits.
6 voices . . .guitar . . . hmmm . . . any takers?

L
bmreeds

Reply with quote  #5 
negative harmony......yikes!......he's a very talented young man!
PaulV

Reply with quote  #6 
Jacob Collier Twitted saying, "I have learned so much from Ted Greene."

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE