PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..
Register Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 4 of 5      Prev   1   2   3   4   5   Next
Marcoszarevich

Reply with quote  #46 
Hello everyone. My name is Marcos and I'm just an amateur musician (guitarist and drummer) from Madrid recently moved to Menorca. Thanks already for the wonderful stuff I,ve found in your forum. I've played drums for like twenty years now and began studying guitar a bit ago. Being a lover for baroque and jazz music I discovered Ted Greene some time ago and your forum just today! Abrazos from the MediterrĂ¡neo and please excuse any faults in my english.
PaulV

Reply with quote  #47 
Welcome, Marcos!
Glad to have you join our family of fans, friends, and students of Ted.  
I hope you discover what you're looking for in the Lessons, Audio, and Video sections, as well as make good use of the resources from the pool of knowledge and experience of other guitarists in our Forums.

Reply with quote  #48 
Hi all. Have been coming here for years to read about Ted and you lucky ones who knew him, studied with him and loved him. Thought I should finally register and say hi. Have been playing for 20-something years - though not always with much discipline, mostly as an adjunct to work and family life. The last 2 years have seen me retire from my career as a firefighter in Sydney, Australia and rededicating myself to music, and specifically guitar. I am making a living as a guitar teacher of mainly beginner and intermediate students, while I continue my own study of the guitar. I have been taking private lessons with Steve Brien from the Sydney Conservatorium, and occasional lessons with the great Australian jazz guitarist George Golla. Just found out I was not accepted into the Conservatorium jazz program, which was a blow to the ego, but may be a blessing in disguise. I don't really aim to be a bebop-style soloist in a band, but love the chord melody approach, and thoughtful accompaniment of a singer or melodic instrument. My partner is a classical cellist, and we do duo gigs in restaurants and weddings, playing romantic standards and things like Ave Maria etc... I am now planning to spend the next goodness-knows-how-long working methodically through Modern Chord Progressions. I do love playing solo guitar, in whatever capacity I can manage at the moment, and have been listening to Ted and reading whatever I can find out about him for a long time. What a remarkable, inspiring yet humble man. Thanks to all here for sharing their stories and experiences of studying with him.

Sorry for the long introduction.

Dean

Reply with quote  #49 
Having just joined the Ted Greene forum today, I want to thank all the contributers and especially Paul and Anders not only for making Ted's lessons available but for taking the time to transcribe them into charts for people like me who were not lucky enough to know Ted personally. Over the last few months, by studying the charts posted on the website I have been able to master 'Georgia On My Mind'. It's by no means note perfect and significantly simplified to allow me to get my fingers around it since I come to Ted's arrangements late and with many ingrained habits and pre-existing shapes locked into my muscle memory developed when I was still using a plectrum to play blues and R'n'B. I am currently working on '(Somewhere) Over The Rainbow' - again somewhat simplified, and the 'Satin Doll' arrangement from the Nick Stasinos lesson is a long term project since the walking bass, ghost notes and percussive decorations make my brain go into rhythmic melt-down.

I first became aware of Ted (I hope it does not offend anyone that I use his first name like this, I feel as if I know him) when I bought his Modern Chord Progressions book I think back in the 1980s. I wanted to understand more about harmonising the major scale, although at that time I could not have used those words to frame that question. The book would have answered my questions (starting on page 17) and much more but I found it overwhelming at the time - still do, and sadly for me I did not have the sense to seek out a good teacher, or the focus/aptitude/work ethic to figure it out for myself . I vaguely remember Ted's name subsequently being mentioned in an article in Guitarist magazine (published in the UK) about Telecaster playing Jazz guitarists when Yamaha brought out the Mike Stern signature Pacifica model, during the 90s. I had no idea that he had recorded an album.

I read of Ted's passing, also in Guitarist magazine and some time later I noticed the videos on YouTube. The first one I saw was the jawdropping GIT/MIT Autumn Leaves improvisation.

Anyway, drawing this very long first posting to a close, I am grateful to Ted for the rigour that he applied to documenting his research and teaching, and to his students for sharing their lessons and for taking the time to pass on what they learned in a form that makes it possible for those of us who were not there to learn and benefit. Thank you again.

Sincerely,
John
PaulV

Reply with quote  #50 
Welcome, John!
So glad you found this site and that you're taking advantage of Ted's lesson material here.  It makes me happy to learn that people are finding the transcribed pages helpful and is bringing some beauty into your life.
We all just call him Ted, and after listening to all the recorded audio lessons (particularly Mark Levy and Kevin Griffin's tapes) you'll feel like you know him as an old friend.
Please don't feel overwhelmed with the truck-full of lesson pages....and more each month....no one is gonna be able to absorb it all.  I don't think there's enough time in this life....but we can pick those things we love and delve into them. 
Please join in the threads in the Forums, and if you have any requests for particular lessons or songs or subjects, just let us know.  I'm always happy to cater to anyone's wishes/desires...so long as Ted has something in the lesson archives that fits the bill.
If you love this site, tell a friend, and go to Ted's Facebook page and "like" us.  [wave]  [thumb]

Reply with quote  #51 
Hello everyone. My name is Roy and I'm not a guitar player. I play the Chapman Stick, and after watching some Ted videos I've decided to become Paul to his Jesus if I can get away with it.

Y'see, there's no one I know of who is doing four-voice textures on the Stick that sound like Ted's arrangements of songs. I really want to sound like that. 

I've been playing for 27 years, not that you'd know from my playing. I've taken lessons from other Stickists, but mostly I've just gone my own way. 

I'm working through Chord Chemistry right now. The Greensleaves arrangement on p. 79 is mind-bendingly difficult! I think I'm growing a whole new brain just to be able to play it! 

Anyway, I really like this forum and I hope that Ted lights up your brains the way he's lit up mine. 

Thanks, 

R

Reply with quote  #52 
Hi Roy,
Welcome to the TG.com !  Very cool that you play the Stick.  I assume you can read Ted guitar chord diagrams, and I hope that the notated versions that we post help in the translation to your Stick playing.
Good luck, and stay in touch here.

Reply with quote  #53 
Hi Roy

Welcome to the forum.
When I first saw a stick, I immediately liked the idea behind it. I never tried one myself, but I would really like to hear some of your playing. May be you can post some stuff someday?!

regards
Christoph
wierdOne

Reply with quote  #54 

so.. I stumbled across a YouTube video of Ted late Tuesday night, which led me to a 40 minute clinic video where he is basically improving (on guitar and talking)....  I'd heard his name mentioned with other jazz greats that played a telecaster (from the TDPRI forums), but hadn't initiated the research into his playing... Wednesday i printed off his workbook for the "sessions with the stars", and made it halfway through the video last night.  The triplet over quarter note feel exercise is blowing my mind... Today (thursday) I ordered all 4 of his books off of Amazon... and joined this forum.

I have no idea how to explain how incredible his mastery of music appears to me, but.. i've listened to SOOOO many players over the years, and... well... whatever "it" is... Ted had "it"...

There doesn't appear to be any real guitar playing "gimmicks", hint of sloppiness, or even ego in his playing... from what i've heard, it seems to be music... just perfect music.

to be honest, i haven't read any single post on this forum... yet... but... I know that in the very near future, that will have changed..

Reply with quote  #55 
Welcome William!
So glad you found this site.  You're in for a wonderful journey exploring Ted's music and teachings.
Visit the Forums regularly and share your discoveries, insights, comments and questions.
You'll find a great group of guitarist here willing to support and help in any way.

Reply with quote  #56 
What Paul said, plus you might enjoy the "My Life With the Chord Chemist" book for even more insight into Ted Greene. (link at top of the page)

Reply with quote  #57 
Hello all. I'm a newbie to this site. I was looking into Mr. Green's life and found my way here. I have nothing original to say about this great guitarist that hasn't been said, so I'll just say that I'm awed by his gifted talent and his dedicated fan base that continues to express and pass along his music to others. In a sense - you breath for him. 
I'm a guitar hack with many years at the plank. Sometimes I think I can play, then I hear Ted, or Joe or any of the masters and realize that I'm still a hack after all...but I love to play and I'm inspired to continue with hope of some day meeting this man. I can't prove it, but I hope there's a gigantic hard drive with a file marked "Ted Greene" in a safe place in God's library.

PaulV

Reply with quote  #58 
Hi Synovio,
Welcome aboard!  
I guess we all feel like hack when compared to Ted and the other greats.  I find it's more productive to compare myself to the way I played one, two, three years ago.  If I see improvement then I know I'm getting better. When I took lessons from Ted, he was quick to compliment me on anything I did well...whatever or however small a thing it was.  He had the ability of making you feel like you were a good guitarist.  I don't know how I could have played in front of him without that support he gave.  I normally would have been frozen with fear, nervousness, and in awe of his enormous talent.  I hope this site provides you with some access to that gigantic hard drive you mentioned, and a taste of Ted. 

Reply with quote  #59 
Thought I'd say hello. I've been playing guitar for a few years now; bluegrass led me to gypsy jazz, which led me to Ted. I've come to understand I will never be a spectacular lead player; but I've found chord progressions to be for me, almost meditative, and I'm able to get lost in the tone and sound. I've recently started taking lessons with Tim Lerch and am enjoying the journey. Thanks for all the resources everyone has made available through the forum and website.
DaveAnno

Reply with quote  #60 
There's plenty of "meditations" here, that's for sure. [wink] Tim Lerch seems like such a nice guy, you're lucky to have lessons with him. Welcome and happy holidays!

Quick Navigation:

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE