PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..
Register Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 3 of 5      Prev   1   2   3   4   5   Next
Larree

Reply with quote  #31 
Thank you, Paul!  I will definitely take you (and the rest of the community) up on that!

Reply with quote  #32 
Hey all, I'm Michael Clancy and I'm a guitarist based in London.

I studied a degree in Music at Tech Music School in London and an incredible teacher and guitarist named Femi Temowo (if you are not aware of him check him out) mentioned Ted Greene in my first year of study.  Needless to say I found this website and here I am now.

The amount of material here is daunting but so exciting - I'm currently developing my solo jazz guitar with walking bass and the walking bass blues sheets are fantastic.  Are there any more resources like this which may be of use in developing this style?

I look forward to exploring the amazing world of Ted's knowledge.

Michael
PaulV

Reply with quote  #33 
Hi Michael,
Welcome to Ted's site!  
Glad you are finding the abundance of material here.  Yes, it can be overwhelming, but taken bit by bit you'll find many refreshing pools of knowledge in which to bath yourself musically.
For more on walking bass, be sure to check out the lessons in the "Blues & Jazz" section, and there may be other related pages in other areas.
I'll hunt for more unpublished pages on walking bass and put them on the "to do" list.

Reply with quote  #34 
Hi Michael,
You might find that the "From Students" section has some good stuff on walking bass.
Check this out:  http://www.tedgreene.com/images/lessons/students/PaulVachon/SatinDoll_WalkingBassStyle_TedGreene1977-08-15_NotesGrids.pdf

Reply with quote  #35 
Fantastic, thanks very much! So grateful to have access to such an amazing resource.

Michael
PosterBoy

Reply with quote  #36 
Hi  I'm Matt

Though I'm not really into jazz but I do like chord Melody, Ted's music surpasses everything and his way of communicating and educating is 
done in such an enthusiastic and loving way, you can't help being drawn to him.

As someone who plays power chords 70% of the time, I just hope I can find some basics to start with here, to get me going on a lifetime journey with Ted 
LeonWhite

Reply with quote  #37 
Matt,
WELCOME!  Playing power chords a lot . . . we've all done it (or do it) so that shouldn't be a problem - Ted's daunting array of pages - that can be daunting.  Lot's of people to help here.  Just speak up!

It might help you understand Ted to remove the "Jazz" label from his playing. His playing contains so much more. (No offence gang).  He saw a lot of movies.

-Leon
GlennThompson

Reply with quote  #38 
Hello All,
Hope I'm posting this correctly and in the right place.

I'm a new member and an old Ted Greene fan. My first books that led me in what I consider to be the right and a good direction were - "Chord Chemistry" and "Modern Chord Progressions". I still have them and use them in rotation regularly within my music library, as well as recommend them to students and other guitar players. I have the old printings for both. Chord Chemistry has a beige cover with a picture of Ted when he fashioned a beard. Modern Chord Progressions has a picture of him sitting on the grass surrounded by mostly modified Telecasters and ES-335 style guitars. 

I've visited the Ted Greene website... and wow! An overwhelming amount of information and knowledge awaits one's perusal. Also the TedGreeneArchives channel on Youtube is fantastic. I will definitely be of supporter of all these sites when I can.

I'm a guitar player and music teacher living in Montreal Qc., Canada. Looking forward to settling in with all this great stuff in tribute to a real master musician and educator - Ted Greene.

-Glenn
bobdullam

Reply with quote  #39 
Hello all, name is Bob Dullam. Am a special effects artist (bobdullam.com), and a guitarist. Been doing it off and on, most of my life. I had heard the name Ted Greene, and the Chord Chemistry book, but I never really gave it much thought, or realized how good, and what a great teacher he was.

About a week ago I stumbled onto some YouTube vids.  I knew that there was something really missing from my skills musically. I've bought a lot of instructional material, a lot of it fusion stuff, and I have a decent understanding of scales, chords, etc. I can hold a jazz gig down. But this discovery of Ted Greene has so much of what I consider to be ness., for all musicians, and I've never seen it taught this well, and his arrangements are best I've ever heard, and I've heard a few. Wow... glad to be here.

One thing which impresses me the most is that as far as I can tell, he never played just to show chops (i.e. shredding). He was always impressive because the music was so well put together. But in this world you have to push, push, push to get recognition. I started watching some of the seminar vids on YouTube, and couldn't stop watching. I've seen a ton of guitarists with all kinds of ideas, techniques, some I'm sure you all know of. But Ted was, in my opinion, THE most musical.

Reply with quote  #40 
Hello all,
I've been lurking around for about a year and would like to introduce myself, and express my gratitude to the contributors to the legacy of Ted Greene.

I picked up the guitar about 15 years ago, and Ted's name via independant study came up frequently. While being young at the time, the significance of his material didn't immediately register. Subsequently, I didn't look into his studies/books.

Starting last year I decided to study the instrument more seriously as a lifelong endeavor. Ted's name was the first to come to mind. After a few youtube views, Ted's instruction became paramount, and my journey began at this website.

Today, I still consider myself a beginner, but I'm a better player than I could ever have imagined thanks to Ted's and the forum member's works.

To me, this website represents what the internet is meant to be. It's a beautiful thing. A collaboration between students/enthusiasts without any agenda other than spreading the teaching of a master.

Thanks again from a noob,

Matt

PaulV

Reply with quote  #41 
Welcome, Matt!
Glad to have you here.  A lot of visitors here consider themselves beginners, but that doesn't mean you can't participate in the discussions.  Someone recently suggested that we create a thread on  "Getting Started for Beginners" or something like that. Because Ted can get very technical and write chords that seem impossible to play doesn't mean that his music and teaching is only for advanced players.  Ted stressed beauty and feeling in music above the technical and intellectual aspects, so if someone is playing a simple melody or chords with great feeling that can be more musically satisfying than hearing someone just hacking out some complicated chords that sound stiff and mechanical.  Ted was able to balance both - the complicated stuff played with great feeling and beauty.  We're always trying to improve, and that's what this site is about.

Reply with quote  #42 
I'd like to welcome and say hi to all the new members above, i encourage you to enjoy the fruits of the website and feel free to post in the forums if you have questions, revelations, feel lonely practicing for 8 hours a day in your tiny cold water flat or just to chime in on something someone else has posted..
you found a good spot to go deep.
all the best
 Tim
AndersG

Reply with quote  #43 
Hello all.
Big TG fan. Chord Chemistry is a bible for me.

lovemytele

Reply with quote  #44 
     Hi everybody.  My name is Bob Meager.  Just wanted to say hi and that I'm glad I found this site.  I have to say that I have learned more in the last month (on this site) than I had in the previous 2 years.
     I have played fingerstyle guitar for about 15 years, pretty much learning songs note for note and not really thinking about what was actually going on musically.  I can't believe it but I'm actually enjoying learning the theory behind the music!  Between Ted's lessons, youtube and your help I hope to become a more knowledgeable musician.
     Looking forward to meeting everyone.

Take care,
Bob
Mechanicville,  NY

PaulV

Reply with quote  #45 
Welcome Bob and Anders!
There's a lot of info on this site and it's easy to get overwhelmed.  But don't!  As Ted often advised, "Just focus on those things you really love and excite your ears, and really dig into them."  The other things can wait and sometimes will become more attractive to us at at later date.  Please use the resources on this site and all the wonderful guitar experts here in the Forums to help you on the musical journey.
I'm constantly learning stuff each month.
And please don't feel shy about asking anything or making requests for the monthly new items.
This site is for you.

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE