PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..
Register Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 5      Prev   1   2   3   4   5   Next
Seth4

Reply with quote  #16 
Hi everyone, my name is Seth. Ive been playing guitar for the past four or five years now, and discovered this site soon after I started lessons. I was asking my first teacher before I began lessons what some good books were, and I mentioned I had seen one by a man named Ted Greene. His eyes widened and said anything by Ted Greene is incredible and if you're serious those are the books to study from. I purchased Chord Chemistry immediately and began studying, soon after I purchased the rest of the books. I found this site and have been checking out the lessons the past few years, and recently started checking out the forum as well and decided I should sign up and participate! I never had the chance to meet Ted, but through his books and lessons I can definitely tell he was not only a great guitar player but a special person as well. Thank yall for keeping this site up and adding all the lessons, it is historic!

Seth
PaulV

Reply with quote  #17 
Hi Seth,
Welcome to this site and to Ted's "family" of friends, students, and fans.
Glad to have you aboard and that you're "soakin' it all in."  There's a lifetime worth of material here, and we're posting new stuff each month.  It can be overwhelming if you think that you have to master each lesson.  Pick whatever you love and work on that.  If there's not enough of the material you're looking for....just ask.  I'm happy to hunt Ted's archives for new things to fill in the gaps whenever someone points one out.
The Forums are here for you....feel free to share your comments, observations, questions, requests, etc. 
Cheers!

Reply with quote  #18 
Hey, my name is Amir. I'm a 26 year old musician out in LA. I stumbled upon Ted Greene while listening to a CSUN radio station (88.5 FM) about a year ago. Looked him up and since that day the guitar has never looked the same to me. I wish I had discovered him 12 years ago when I started playing guitar, as to have inquired for lessons to meet him, as he seemed like an amazing man. I've tirelessly watched every video I could find of Ted, working my way through the recordings and audio lessons. I've now begun to study and research his work, including Chord Chemistry and his Solo Books. Thanks so much for keeping his legacy alive and enriching my life with glimpses into Ted's brilliance.

P.S. Do we think the Ted and Lenny tapes will ever be available !? I don't think there's ever been a recording that has inspired more curiosity in me.
LeonWhite

Reply with quote  #19 
Regarding the Ted/Lenny, Lenny/Ted tapes - until Lenny's daughter permits it, they will not be available.  She is rightfully protective of her dad and we respect that.  We can hope though.

Leon
PaulV

Reply with quote  #20 
Welcome, Amir!
So glad you found this site and are taking advantage of all the material.  Ted affected me the same way...the guitar just opened up with infinite possibilities.
I studied with Ted for about a year, but honestly, I think I've learned more in the last couple of years by immersing myself in his lesson material than I did while studying with him.  Heck, that was 27 years ago and I could only absorb so much.  So, anyone can learn from Ted and consider him your teacher, though he's not physically here.
Please let us know in this Forum if there's any lessons you'd like us to post:  general areas, or specific lessons.  We aim to please!

Reply with quote  #21 
Hi all
I 'stumbled upon' Ted through the videos on YouTube, and what a treasure! I've been playing guitar some 40 years now. How I wish I had found Ted years ago. 
I just want to say thanks to such a wonderful group of people here. From reading through some of the forum postings I can tell you are all willing and eager to help those who come along and want to learn. 
I was always fascinated by the chord-melody style of playing, though becoming proficient at it has eluded me these many years. I'm looking forward to working through the material here.
One quick question, if I may: what program are you using to post the compilation pages in the From Students section? I haven't found one so far that you can present staves and chord grids.
Thanks again to all who keep this wonderful site active and available.
Rick
PaulV

Reply with quote  #22 
Hi Rick,
Welcome to the tedgreene.com site.  Hope you find all you're searching for and much more.

Regarding the compilation pages:  I've been making these for several years now, and the process has evolved somewhat.  Some of the early ones are kind of rough, and I'm kind of embarrassed with them and would like to redo them...but I think it's a better use of my time to make new ones.  Currently I'm using Sibelius to create the music notation.  I have several fake books to use as references for lead sheet, lyrics, and changes. I then export the Sibelius pages and work on them with Photoshop.  I usually import Ted's grid diagrams into the new page and do some touch-up work on them to make them easier to read.  When I'm all finished, I save as a PDF file for posting.  I try to retain as much of Ted's original material as possible, and simply line up the grids with the notation.  

One main thing to remember is that the notation I create is only a mechanical reading of the note order from Ted's chord diagrams, sync'd up to the lead sheet.  Sometimes a phrase can be interpreted more than one way, and the one I choose isn't necessarily the one Ted had in mind.  Plus Ted encouraged students to "personalize" a lot of the melodic and harmonic phrasing of the arrangements so they aren't so stiff and unfeeling. Think of the notation as suggestions from which you can take off into other directions. 

Let me know if you have any specific questions about the compilation pages, or if you are interested in any particular aspect of Ted's teachings and lesson pages.  I'll be happy to search the archives and prepare any of his lesson sheets or arrangements if there is an interest.

Happy New Year!

Reply with quote  #23 

Hi everybody,

When I first heard Ted Greene play the guitar (found by accident on YouTube a couple of years ago) I was TOUCHED deeply with the beauty of his music. This was quite a revelation since I am mostly impressed only when I hear great players. Since that day I wanted to know more about Ted and began studying his wonderful concepts through his books, seminar-videos and this marvelous website. Ted has since been a tremendous source of encouragement and inspiration for me to work harder on solo guitar and to become a better teacher myself.

Although I have been a member of this forum for three years now, this is my very first time to post. It seems like I have been waiting to have a valid reason to post…

Well, recently I managed to get my hands on a VHS tape of ‘A Session with the Stars’ from 1980. As far as I know this video is not available yet on the internet for people to enjoy. (I am aware of the earlier posts about it here on the forum but could not manage to watch it so far) So I took a small chance buying it because I was not sure if I could play this kind of tape here in The Netherlands in Europe. Luckily it played just fine and a friend of mine managed to convert it to a digital format which I would be more than happy to share here with everybody. Could anybody please let me know how we could make this work?

Thanks a lot,
Jeffrey Janssen

phrygianmajor

Reply with quote  #24 
Hi everyone, I'm new here but have been a fan of Ted ever since I was first exposed to Chord Chemistry, in 1991. To say I was amazed and in awe just doesn't quite express the impact that this would have on me years late. As a hungry "shredder" I was focused on ways to visualize the fingerboard so I could get from point A to point B, as fast as my playing would allow, which was useful and effective for many years. After studying and playing; 34 years in 2012, I had an awakening. This happened while I was working through, Modern Chord Progressions. My knowledge of Music Theory is pretty strong and I always loved the sound of "drop" voices. I was first introduced to them in school, but never hammered them all out on the fingerboard as I felt that I had a good knowledge of how to construct them and could do them if I really wanted to. Well that time came when I was working on using substitution, secondary dominants and passing diminished chords and happened to be looking at the section on Progressions using substitute chords (major Keys).....the epiphany, as I saw something differently than I had previously remembered, which set me on a quest to really know and understand what goes on within music and all of its fundamentals. My perspective changed drastically as I listened to what I had been missing for all those years...that beautiful! Then came the tears..sadness, from neglecting something ....I had been missing out all those years, and happiness, from the change I was about to make which I knew was going to have a positive effect on my playing but foremost on my lifestyle. This last year has been the most rewarding period of my 35 years playing guitar and it is because Ted Greene opened my eyes and ears to the possibilities the guitar holds for us to explore. This site has the most profound amount of information and lessons, that it would take a lifetime to absorb all of the material; for me anyway, and I thank you all from the bottom of my heart, for making all this information available and keeping the memory of Ted's greatness alive....to Barbara; you have achieved your crown in heaven and you are with your soul mate once again..Thank you!
Brett Wanta
LeonWhite

Reply with quote  #25 
Brett,
Many of us had experiences like that to be honest. . Some earlier then others, but the effect was the same. Although a profound experience, you're not alone, if that helps. Your email was beautifully written. And your interest and passion for all that lies beyond should inspire us all. 

And welcome to the forum and thanks for joining.  There is a great deal of material here as all will agree, but there is also help in navigating it, if you need it.  A question usually get's an answer here, so ask when and if you feel like it. Any guidance or suggestions the senior players here can provide will be like throwing gasoline on your 'fire' for playing.

Thank you for taking the time to write.  If I or others can help, just ask.

Leon White
funkydave76

Reply with quote  #26 
Hey. Just wanted to say a quick hi from the UK.

I've been playing guitar for around 20 years now. I bought Teds Chord Chemistry book not long after I began starting to play guitar and without having a lot of the theory basics in the bank, to say I was overwhelmed is a huge understatement. Although I never really grasped the content at the time, I knew it was something special and kept picking it up every now and then when I felt I could handle another brain meltdown. Unfortunately I wasnt the only one who thought it was special as a second rate tutor I had at the time thought the book would be better in his hands than mine and I never saw it again. Over the years I always looked for the book whenever I was in a music shop but to no avail.

Until... Today

Browsing in a secondhand book shop I couldnt believe it when the front cover was staring me in the face, and as an added bonus they also had a copy of modern chord progressions of which I had no knowledge of. Wow!!!

After a couple of hours flicking through both books and now knowing I have enough basic knowledge to not instantly turn my head to fudge, I cant wait to embark on the journey infront of me.

A very happy. Dave
LeonWhite

Reply with quote  #27 
Re-reading notes from new folks gave me pause.  Ted was a master at di-secting and reorganizing the presentation of his ideas (and others too).  He never stopped trying to find a better way to teach.  Much discussion here revolves around his approach (to whatever the material is) and what the approach is about, or how to use the approach, etc.  That's all good.  But none of that is worth anything if you're not playing music (however you define that).  All this academic and intellectual effort was to get people to see new music, see the connections to what they knew, and incite them to pursue the sound wherever it took them.

Lee Ritenour tells the story of being under the gun for composing one more track for an album, and going to Ted's Chord Chemistry and playing a few things on the opening 2-3 pages.  Bang! the sounds resonated with his musicality and experience, and he was inspired to create the last track he needed.

That is a classical example of applying Ted material.  Go for that! As a dear friend often reminds me "The map is not the territory." 

The simple triad studies (which I met in 1973) still pop up to me in solo guitar, country guitar transcriptions, and when opened up to the 'tenths' voicings, have led me to the theme from the movie "The natural" and the 'americana' sound of that era. And that lead me to the theme from jurassic park - all in the matter of 4 days of "noodling."  That is the joy of Ted - finding our way to more meaningful musical communication of emotion. 

Sorry for the long post, but it's been on my mind for some time, so I 'let it out.'

Leon
LeonWhite

Reply with quote  #28 

There have been some very kind posts here - thank you. When Joe Pass said that quote to me, in his inimitable style, it was "Play Tunes" and I guess it isn't quoted enough or we wouldn't be talking about it.
Persichetti ...sends me back to UCLA.  I'd say he's ok, but I'd take him in the context of his time too.  Sounds a little like he's defending the technical as a way to expand one's personal communication.  When written, perhaps that was needed more.  Now we seem to be drowning in the technical sometimes.  Anyway, Ted quoted Joe, so I'm in safe waters so far.
Leon

Larree

Reply with quote  #29 
Hi all!

I am new to this forum.  I bought my first copy of Chord Chemistry way back in the seventies.  I never took private lessons from Ted (I could kick myself for that.) but did get to meet him a few times in some of the local guitar stores here in L.A.

Anyway, thank you for this forum and the excellent website you maintain.  I appreciate all the wonderful educational material on the lessons and student pages and am thankful that you are keeping Ted's memory alive.

Larree

Reply with quote  #30 

Hi Larree,
Welcome aboard!  Great to have another student/fan/friend of Ted's as part of our little family here.  Unfortunately you also missed Barbara Franklin, Ted's partner for many years.  She was the heart and soul of this website since it's conception, and she was always prompt in welcoming all new visitors and participants in the Forums.  We miss her here, and we try to keep that same spirit of care, concern, respect and sharing that she and Ted both exemplified. 

Even though you never took lessons with Ted, I think you will find in this site more material than you ever would have garnered in private lessons.  The pages and the amount of information can be overwhelming if you take it as such, but if you filter out only what you need and what you love you'll find a treasure here.  Feast to your heart's content...and if you are interested in any subject or song, please don't hesitate to shoot a request my way and I'll see if Ted has something in his archives of lesson sheets on it.

Quick Navigation:

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE