PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..
Register Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 5      1   2   3   4   Next   »
guitar_199

Reply with quote  #1 
To all,  I make this step as carefully as I can.  I do not wish to offend anyone by asking patently dumb questions....but I have a few that would probably fall into that category so I will try to gain a foothold here and grab on as quickly as possibly.

When Ted passed, I had heard of him but only scarcely so. But an interest sparked.   I was taken by the intensity of every member of the fan base that he carried.  I collected a few of his lesson sheets from here and there and bought two books, "Chord Chemistry" and "Modern Chord Progressions: Jazz & Classical Voicings for Guitar".

I have played guitar since I was 10 years old (about 47 years now) but never had any traditional training.  I consider myself better than average but must admit that, to the purist, alas I am a hacker.  While I am "good enough" to support the band I am in now, I am ever on a quest to sharpen and augment my skills. I have to believe that there is much that I can learn from the wealth of lessons that Mr Greene left in his wake....but I think that there is something (perhaps someTHINGS!) you need to know to make the most of it.

For starters...most of his lesson sheets that I have seen appear to be large sheets of chord diagrams.  I usually just sit and try to form the chords but I also believe that there has to be some logical sense to the layout.  Did he intend that we play from top left to bottom right as we would read a book?  Were we meant to follow them vertically....by the column? There are some pages where he has drawn what I (untechnically) call squiggly lines between certain columns from the top to a lower point on the page... seemingly trying to break up groups of columns....but I am not certain of the purpose.

Where can one go to learn  HOW to learn from these treasures?  Surely, if I had the privilege of sitting with them so that he could explain what his intentions were, it would have made supreme sense.  I am hoping for a helping hand, if only to understand how these sheets are intended to "flow".  I have an idea that, once I recognize the flow that I will find out that there is reasoning behind the sequences that he penned.

In any event, thanks ever so much for "bearing the torch" of Mr. Greene's great legacy.

Bob Ruth

PaulV

Reply with quote  #2 
Welcome to the site, Bob! 
Glad to have you aboard with a mind for improving your playing and musicianship (as do we all!).

Yes, we do need to create a section here called "Getting Started" that will answer questions about how to read Ted's notation.  However, you might also check out the chapter in Modern Chord Progressions entitled, "How to Interpret the Chord Diagrams".
http://forums.tedgreene.com/post/Triangles-dots-xs-circles-2322057?highlight=playing+order
http://forums.tedgreene.com/post/Teds-Notation-5690678?highlight=circles
http://forums.tedgreene.com/post/Chord-Charts-2411325?highlight=circles
http://forums.tedgreene.com/post/Xs-on-fingerboards-3759594?highlight=circles
http://forums.tedgreene.com/post/Teds-Notation-5690678
(also look for a thread entitled, "Help!!!-I-cant-read-these-chord-diagrams" in the General Topics" section of the Forums - the link doesn't seem to paste here).
Hope these help (sorry if there is redundancy in the links).

Also see this document:
http://www.tedgreene.com/images/lessons/students/PaulVachon/HowToReadTedGreeneChordDiagrams.pdf

Regarding how to play the lesson pages:  read them like you read a book - left to right, top to bottom.  On rare instances Ted may write something in a column for a specific purpose, but usually he will give some indication about this if it is to be done.

I believe the "squiggly lines" you're referring to are Ted's way of using a "tie" between notes, the same way a tie is used in standard music notation.
Please let us know if you have any other specific questions, there is a wealth of knowledge and experience available with the visitors to this site, so feel free to draw upon it.

I might also recommend that you visit the "From Students" section, where many, many of Ted's lesson sheets and arrangements have been put into music notation combined with Ted's diagrams, which allows you to see exactly how his grids translate into score.
Here is one sample:  http://www.tedgreene.com/images/lessons/students/PaulVachon/OverTheRainbow_TedGreene_Arr_1990-05-06_Notes_Grids.pdf
All the best,

Reply with quote  #3 
Paul, thanks a million for the response... I shall check those references!

As to the squiggly line, it was vertical ... not between notes.... rather it ran vertically and would separate whole columns of the chord diagrams.   If I can describe better....  you would have two full columns ... top to bottom of chord diagrams...then between the second and third column ... a squiggly line would start at the top of the page and go all the way to the bottom.  Then columns 3 and 4... then a squiggly line... then 5 and 6, and another squiggly line...

As if he was separating the columns for some purpose.....

But, again, thanks! You have given me some direction and I will make the most of that .....

Bob
PaulV

Reply with quote  #4 
Bob, can you provide a link on this site to one of those pages to which you refer? Or, if not, do you have a scanned copy you could post here so we can all see what you're talking about?
Now that I think about it....perhaps the squiggly line is one that Ted used to indicate the end of measure.  Check it out and I'll bet that's it.  However, the ones that run from top of the page to the bottom is a different matter.  I'd have to see the page to see what Ted was trying to illustrate.

Reply with quote  #5 

Hi Folks,
Brand new member here. 

Bit of background.... Guitar nut since the 60's. First guitar lesson at age 8, 1965. High school garage bands, bit of classical study, 25+ years of bar bands. 1'000s of hours and $1,000's of dollars and I'm still under the delusion that I can master this instrument!!! My last rock/blues trio folded summer of 2011 so decided it was time to focus on learning to play solo guitar once and for all.

I bought all of Ted's books in the last month or so and have been working through the books and his arrangement of 'The Look of Love'.
I had been aware of Ted Greene for years and had even toyed with a few of his chord studies. With renewed vigor, I'm jumping in with both feet!

Thanks to all for the effort to keep this man's life work and beautiful music available. I look forward to interacting a bit and learning a lot.

Cheers

PaulV

Reply with quote  #6 
Welcome Brent!
Glad to have you aboard.  Dive into the waters here and you'll find a goldmine of material to get your solo playing taking off in new and exciting directions.  There's a great community of very experienced and knowledgeable players here to help whenever and wherever needed.  And we appreciate your feedback and input as well.
Cheers!

Reply with quote  #7 
Welcome! You couldn't have picked a better place to hang out and explore solo guitar. Enjoy
Tim
delboy

Reply with quote  #8 
Just saying hi. Been watching the videos - in awe! - and listening to a few of the lessons folks have kindly shared. More awe! Just started looking at the first of the single-note soloing books...Panic rather than awe....

But most of all just started reading Barbara's book. It's very wonderful! 

Kind regards,
Derek
PaulV

Reply with quote  #9 
Welcome Derek. 
Lots of good things to explore here, many musically exciting places to go...full of awe and wonder.  No reason to panic.
You're in good hands with Ted.  Enjoy!

Reply with quote  #10 

We should have done this years ago.  If you're new to the site, this is the place to introduce yourself if you wish to.
We'll move the older intro posts here, so no need to re-enter.

-Leon
PaulV

Reply with quote  #11 
We're pleased to finally be able to present this document on "How To Read Ted Greene Chord Diagrams."
http://www.tedgreene.com/images/lessons/students/PaulVachon/HowToReadTedGreeneChordDiagrams.pdf

It's posted in my "From Students" section at the top of the list.
Special thanks to David Bishop for his help in proofreading it and adding suggestions, and to James Hober and Mike De Luca for their insightful suggestions. 

We hope this will be a helpful reference page to newcomers and to those with some basic questions about interpreting all those symbols in Ted's lesson pages.  Though it doesn't cover everything, most of the basics are explained - plus there's some nifty illustrations!

Reply with quote  #12 
Paul what great work on, "How To Read.....".  So clear and helpful.  Looks like a labor of love. 
PaulV

Reply with quote  #13 
Thanks, William, that means a lot coming from you.
It was a pleasure to put it all together, and I'm happy that we have a file like this that should answer a lot of the questions that anyone would have when first approaching Ted's pages.

Reply with quote  #14 
Just wanted to say hi to the great community here. My name is Kyle, I'm about to turn 23 and I have been playing guitar for about 10-11 years. I have been browsing the site for awhile now and finally decided to sign up here in the forums. I am interested in many areas of music and hope that this site and the community here will be of great help during my neverending quest for musical enlightenment. I currently own Chord Chemistry and Modern Chord Progressions, both are very overwhelming but I know that years of study will be of immense use to me. Many of the lessons here go a little over my head so I will be asking questions from time to time. As far as what I am interested in learning musically I am very interested in Jazz, I haven't quite learned how to swing yet though but am ready to learn. I am also interested in classical music (The Baroque improv videos of Ted are amazing and I wish to be able to play similar things one day) Blues, Travis picking, Bossa Nova, Gypsy Jazz, Solo Chord Melody, and more. Thank you for keeping this site going and may the Legacy of Ted Greene continue to live on, teach, and inspire forever
TLerch

Reply with quote  #15 
welcome Kyle, have fun.
Tim
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE