PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..
Register Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
KirkLorange

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi, fellow Ted Greene enthusiast. My name is Kirk and I only recently 'discovered' Ted's videos online. I have, of course, heard about him for decades and his books, but his actual playing just blew me away. What a master, and the way he carries on conversations while playing is ... well, astonishing. I've been playing for 53 years and I still talk 'in time' if I'm playing.

I'm not a jazz player as such, I'm more of a blues slide guitarist, but I've always heard jazz. The tune below I would heard from the womb. My dad was a huge big band fan. I arrange these by ear and you'll hear that I rarely get too frilly about them, my chords are for the most part pretty straight forward.  At 64, I'm keen on learning more through Ted's material. 

Here is Begin the Beguine

PaulV

Reply with quote  #2 
Hi Kirk, 
Welcome to Ted's Internet "family."
I enjoyed your video - nice tone and feeling.
Thanks for sharing.
Hope to see more of you around these parts.....

Reply with quote  #3 
Thanks, Paul... you wouldn't be a Montrealer by any chance, would you?
KirkLorange

Reply with quote  #4 
Thanks, BLC. I do love these old tunes and I love coming up with different fingerstyle arrangements for them. My late dad's all time favorite was Stardust Melody and I had fun one afternoon a while back doing this 'self-quartet'. Again, this is just my hearing of the chord structure. I usually listen to a couple of versions -- the ones my dad had in his vast record collection -- and sort of work out a hybrid arrangement that way, listening for chord flavors, bass lines and harmony lines. I wish I'd watched the meters a bit more closely and tidied up some of the takes, but when you video, you can't drop in on any mistakes. I had to get four takes right through. The main thing for me is the feel and I'm fairly happy with that.

PaulV

Reply with quote  #5 
Nope, not Montreal, but I have some relatives in MN, NY, NJ, and VT.

Reply with quote  #6 
Aha...avery French Canadian name ... so is Lorange, of course. My dad was from Montreal, brought up in Detroit. I moved to Australia in 1975.
omobob

Reply with quote  #7 
Sweet music - I love how you honor your pops...
TLerch

Reply with quote  #8 
I like the solo piece very much, the melody is given its due and the inner lines and time feel are really well done, thanks for sharing.

all the best 
 Tim
DanSawyer

Reply with quote  #9 
Kirk, that is a gorgeous, singing sound you get out from the Dobro!

Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanSawyer
Kirk, that is a gorgeous, singing sound you get out from the Dobro!

Thanks, Dan. It's a beautiful warm resonator, that one. It was hand made by a friend of mine down here in Oz by the name of Michael Palm. It was his first attempt at a resonator. He also made the acoustic I strum in the video, another gorgeous instrument.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE