PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..
Register Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 3      Prev   1   2   3   Next
Hal9000

Reply with quote  #16 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkThornbury

Likewise,  Dm11 to a G7/6( with G on top) to EbMaj add9...very nice.

nice, and after that Eb Maj, you can go to the iv-6 (Ab-6) and common tone the Ab-6 to a G+7 which can take you to the key of C major, or you can keep it going all over according to personal taste

Hal9000

Reply with quote  #17 

oh yeah, forgot to mention, David Foster does that tune in a different key (B major I think) and my analysis is in G (after I transposed it to a easier guitar key for some of my students)...sorry

MarkThornbury

Reply with quote  #18 

Another modulation trick that Ted really liked,  using a similar idea to move down a 1/2 step was as follows:

I  I/5  vi6  #IV7b5b9/3

=V7etc  of VII 

=I of new key 

I realize that this looks ghastly, so in real terms it looks like:

C  C/G  Ami6  C/A#  B (new key)

For the curious, the reason that we have a C triad over an A# instead of a Bb is that the chord is actually an F# 7 b5b9, which sounds and looks identical to a C/Bb.   I remember Ted showing me how he got there by playing the progression, and from the Ami6 he first went to an F#7/3, voiced  A# F# C# E (bottom to top,), then he moved the F# up to a G  to create  an F#7b9/3,  then he dropped the C# down to C,  to arrive at the victim in question.    It really does sound neat.

Reply with quote  #19 
nice, just for fun I used the B as the implied harmony and went to e minor instead of B using the common chord tone method.  I also tried skipping the B and going to e minor with a G in the bass.  Sounded good to me and yes, I'm easy to  amuse 
MarkThornbury

Reply with quote  #20 

I 'm gonna share a lesson that Ted wrote out for me on a blank sheet of paper (actually, on the back of a lesson sheet on 20th Century Harmonic Vocabulary + Progressions, dated 10-21-76,  turned upside down & written on the back of his Telecaster, which was often used as a desk!)

Modulation Studies:

Practice voice leading on iv6 to I ,  vi6 to I

vi6                           iv6

C   Cm6     Eb            C   Cm6     G

C   C#m6   E              C  C#m6   Ab

C   Em6     G              C  Abm6   Eb

C   Fm6     Ab             C  Am6     E

C   G#m6   B              C  Bb6m   F

Reply with quote  #21 

Mark,

These are some great little modulation moves! I would love to see you write a little article for the site with some standard notation pictures accompanying the explanation. Maybe an article under the Theory section? Regardless, thanks again. I definitely appreciate your time sharing the things Ted taught you.

Tim

MarkThornbury

Reply with quote  #22 

Hi Tim,  Leon actually has asked me to do that very thing a few days ago, and I am working on it as we speak.  It is rather anecdotal, and really does need to be presented in the manner that Ted did, which was much more organized.  I just have to work around a few "life" issues, nothing too terrible, but time consuming. 

Thanks for the encouragement,  I am more than happy to share my experiences with Ted, as many others are as well.

Reply with quote  #23 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkThornbury

If anyone wants to see it, I'll PDF it & e-mail it to you!

boy, I'd sure like to see that pdfg!
Dan52tele
Reply with quote  #24 
Hey Mark,

My head is spinning reading all this, if you could mail me a pdf on modulation it would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

Dan

theultrazone@ntlworld.com
DonJohnson

Reply with quote  #25 

Mark - I would love a copy of this pdf too. Thanks for your work here.

don.j@sympatico.ca

MarkThornbury

Reply with quote  #26 

Here's a chord diagram of the intro in question( sorry it took so long!) . I've boxed the modulating chord, and shown it's two enharmonic names, implying it's dual duty here. The notation method will be clear to Ted students and those who have studied out of his books;  for those unfamiliar, I greatly encourage the purchase of "Modern Chord Progressions" by Ted, who explains the chord diagram notation.

Attached Images
jpeg Ol'_Man_River_Intro.jpg (523.60 KB, 310 views)

skotrock

Reply with quote  #27 
Thats awesome Mark- Thank you!
Leeram

Reply with quote  #28 

Oh yeah! Very well done Mark. Thank you. Regards, Lee Ramirez

freakformusic

Reply with quote  #29 

Hey,

just wondering, if there is a comnplete Sheet to OlĀ“ man River.
Tried to figure it out but would love to play it more tedish.

stay tuned below standard pitch 

NickStasinos

Reply with quote  #30 
Do a search in the forums for Francios Leduc.  He has made transcriptions for all of "Solo Guitar" in both notation and TAB including "Ol' Man River".  I haven't played through them yet, so I cannot vouch for their accuracy, but they look very promising.
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE