PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..
Register Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
James

Reply with quote  #1 
I spent a few hours re-reading my book about the V-System that is posted here:http://www.tedgreene.com/teaching/v_system.asp.

I realized that I never solved why Ted underlined some of the Chronological Voice Formulas, such as TABS and SABT, on the Rosetta Page that he wrote.  I still don't know the answer.   But it is interesting that most of the ones he underlined start with B or S.  So he probably was thinking, start with the bass and then think through the rest of the voices, following the chord tones 1 3 5 7 or 3 5 7 1 or 5 7 1 3 or 7 1 3 5.  Alternatively he would think through voices starting on the soprano and following the other underlined Chronological Voice Formula.

However, there are two underlined formulas, TABS and TSBA, that start with the tenor.  I don't know why.  I speculated that he just liked certain certain formulas.  But I don't know if he had a reason.

I also now think that he primarily chose one Chronological Voice Formula and then rotated the Chord Tone Path (1 3 5 7 and its rotations) through the formula to get the four systematic inversions.  I don't think he kept the chord tone path fixed and went through the four Chronological Voice Formulas for the voicing group.  He knew about the latter but it seems that it was practical for him to use the former.

Anyway, it's funny that years after I finished my chapters on the V-System, I am still mulling over some of its mysteries.

In some ways, I surpassed and enhanced what Ted figured out.  I discovered the mathematical reasons for the number 43 that Ted hadn't.  And in my chapter, How Systematic Inversions Relate To The V-System, I worked out a new, elaborated Method 3 with a brand new table for it.

Yet there are likely ideas about the V-System that Ted took to his grave.

The main thing about the V-System which is revolutionary is that you can organize chords into groups by their spacing.  I don't know of anyone in music history who had done such a thing so meticulously.  Ted was probably the first.  I hope that in the future more musicologists will recognize and acknowledge this.
tresero

Reply with quote  #2 
I've been meaning to get more into the V system, but it is so complicated and I'm not sure it's worth my effort since guitar isn't my main instrument anymore. I will give it another look with fresh eyes.

Reply with quote  #3 
Well, tresero, if you have any questions, favor de preguntarme.  You can post questions here or send me a private message if you prefer.  Thank you for your interest.
tresero

Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by James
Well, tresero, if you have any questions, favor de preguntarme.  You can post questions here or send me a private message if you prefer.  Thank you for your interest.

Will do and I appreciate it. I'm trying to find time to get back to six strings instead of 3, but... gigs are much easier to find when you are missing half your strings [smile]

IMG_2360.JPG

Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE