PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..
Register Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
wolflen

Reply with quote  #1 

A Note Away From Satori

You’re the student..you always will be..you have no choice..you can’t refuse to learn..you already learned that..and learned it well…ohh when I finish this next exercise I will be a musician/doctor/lawyer/Indian chief..no..there is no next exercise..

So ted greene asked me..what do you mean by jazz?..now if I know that..I wouldn’t want lessons..I thought of replying..so ted jumped started and played the first three chords in C major in fourth intervals..It was the essence of every jazz guitarist I ever heard…Yes I said..thats it..Ted is a thin lanky guy who can play chords on a Fender Telecaster that are impossible for mortals..well not exactly..as he kept telling me for the two years I studied with him..with determination and practice..you can too..

It just twelve notes..western music that is..Its called the chromatic scale..and from it came every song and piece of music played sung written recorded going back to Greece and all that stuff..and every year new music is created. So for those of us who get infected with a creative gene that wont leave you alone..what do you do..

Diatonic harmony..its the major scale and the embedded chords in it..thats the easy way to see it..its also patterns..circles within circles..going in two directions at once..playing in several keys at the same time..playing a melody without playing the melody..and the listener hears the melody..nice trick eh…

So you had a GTO ..said ted..yeah..it was fast and all that..and we talked about cars..ted is playing some Bach while he is talking to me..we aren’t talking about last weeks lesson or do I have any questions on altered chords..yep 389 cubes in that baby..must be nice ted says..ok when do we do guitar/music stuff..did you always go fast with it he asked..well no..not always...play last weeks chord study..ohh ok..so I fumble through several chords and miss some notes…STOP..ted said..you should and can play that lesson without any errors..why are you missing some chords..not enough practice..I hoped that was the right answer..your going to fast..there is no reason to go fast yet..if you can’t play it slow you can’t play it fast..it like a law of physics or something he said..so what do you do now..so I played the exercise very slowly..and all the notes rang true..do you know what harmonic enrichment is..he said..he knew I didn’t..god he comes at you from all directions..ok its like your 389 engine..its nice and all..but you want to punch it up a bit..so you can change the cam shaft and get 10 more horsepower..so if we have a C major 7 chord..it’s nice and all does what it’s supposed to..we can play a C major 9 instead..and he plays the chords and shows me the difference and why they are different and the different ways and positions to play the chord and what chords to play before and after the C major 9..and then says..ok now what if you add a larger carb in addition to the cam shaft..and my eyes must have been glowing..he played a C major 13..and said..ok now you create the chords before and after the C major 13..and he gave me some pages of chords to work on for the next lesson..and we talked about cars some more while he played the chords he showed me in some nice progressions..I  keep getting the feeling he is going to tell me to wax his car or paint his house next..

tedandbarbaraare1

Reply with quote  #2 
Thanks for the post.  In my humble opinion it is beautiful.

Reply with quote  #3 
Great analogy !
Beautifully written !!
Wonderful remembrance !!!
tresero

Reply with quote  #4 
Fantastic.

Reply with quote  #5 
Great story ! Using parabols or analogies is the essence of great masters, makes everything click much faster in the student's mind.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE