PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..
Register Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
pbellora

Reply with quote  #1 
Hello!
I'm experimenting with the position of the neck humbucker on my Tele. After watching the "Telecaster Setup & Sound" video I have my humbucker extremely low (level with the pickguard) with the screws raised quite a bit. It sure looks weird, with the polepieces sticking out of the microphone, but I'm quite happy with the sound; this setup seems a little more "single-coily", and with less attack and a more balanced low range. However, the output has been reduced a lot so the noise level is higher.

This the only picture I saw where the humbucker is clearly visible, but the screws seem to be quite level with the humbucker. I was wondering if anyone has also experimented with this and maybe someone can even offer some more information on how Ted mounted his neck humbucker.

Thanks!
Kind regards,

Pedro

LeonWhite

Reply with quote  #2 
This photo is "period correct" for Ted's tele.  Later he did do exactly what you've done:  lower the Humbuck pup and raise the screws very high.  This should do what you describe:  drop volume but get a more 'single coil' type sound.  I'm puzzled by the extra noise you describe, however, unless you're splitting the coils.

Leon White
pbellora

Reply with quote  #3 
Thanks for your answer, Leon!
I wonder how much did Ted raise the screws... mine are actually about 1.5mm (0.05 inch). This is measured from the cover of the humbucker to the top of the screw.

The extra noise is not a big deal, but since the microphone output is now much lower the signal-to-noise relationship is not so good. I'm not splitting the coils, just the regular wiring with the different setup. This noise is not an issue at all, just a small price to pay for an upgraded sound.

Thanks again for your answer, Leon!
Kind regards,

Pedro

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE