PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

VISIT OUR NEW SUPPORT PORTAL
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..

Author   Comment  
eliza

Reply with quote  #1 
Hello,

I heard that ted greene's solo guitar album was recorded through a direct box. It is true?
I wonder exactly how the recording was done. 

LeonWhite

Reply with quote  #2 
Thanks for the question.  We've discussed this in the past informally here on the forum, so I hope someone can point out those notes.  In short, we used a direct box, his amp, and his fender leslie speaker.  The amp and leslie were mic'd and the direct box was . . . well direct.  That gave us three sources to use.  But unlike most records, we did not record and then mix down.  We got a sound, Ted would play, and then come in and listen, and then we'd tweak. When we all were satisfied, we just rolled tape.  His amps could be pretty noisy for recording. (He did his own amp work in those days). They would hiss and pop.  At least that was what we got that week.
We got the sound, and then recorded direct onto a 30 ips mastering machine.  What he played went straight to tape. He did numerous performances which he did not like (the tape boxes were stacked up on the floor.)  We agreed on which were 'keepers' and the rest got wiped per our agreement with Ted.  there would be no 'outtake versions' ever possible.

I should add that the actual record sounded better, to me, then ted's attempt to re-equalize the recording in the 1990's.  That version was used on the CD.  After he'd spent the producer's money on that sound, he told various friends he did NOT like it, but went with it anyway.  However - it is not a bad sound, and most of you have only heard that sound.  But Ted into a TUBE mixing console direct to tape analog is the only sound I can accept.  Hence I took my name off the CD.  I didn't work on that.  I'd like to get a re-issue of the original mix to the CD company. But we'll see. The amp was either a twin or a vibrolux. It is posted somewhere.  William Perry and I were there every minute of the record, along with mixer Bob Summers. (Also a guitarist.) It was done over multiple days.

Leon
James

Reply with quote  #3 
Here are a couple of the forum threads that dealt with Ted's recording of the solo guitar album.  There are others, some discussing his tunings and transcriptions of the recording.

http://forums.tedgreene.com/post/teds-guitar-on-solo-guitar-album-1149420?highlight=solo+recording&trail=15
http://forums.tedgreene.com/post/how-did-ted-get-those-low-notes-on-solo-guitar-3224341?highlight=solo+recording&pid=31129855
eliza

Reply with quote  #4 
It is a historical story. Thanks for reply.
DanSawyer

Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonWhite
… the actual record sounded better, to me, then ted's attempt to re-equalize the recording in the 1990's. That version was used on the CD. After he'd spent the producer's money on that sound, he told various friends he did NOT like it…

I was there during the re-equalization efforts. This was mostly an attempt to tighten up the bass frequencies, not to make them softer but just less boomy. I liked the result and so did the engineer. Sadly, Ted had fallen in love with the original bassiness so we did not change the EQ.

What Ted did want was more reverb. So digital reverb was added to the original recordings (which already had reverb). It would have been preferable to add the new reverb to a "dry" un-processed guitar sound, but that was not available to us. That may be why the original record sounds different to you, Leon. Ted liked the new reverb a lot while we listened to it and also the next day after he had listened at home and he approved the mix to the record company. Funny enough (or typical of TG) after a few days, he hated the new reverb. He phoned me many times during a two week period to complain about how the reverb was terrible, ruined his sound, etc. There wasn't much I could do at that point since the record company was already manufacturing the new CDs.

Ted also asked me to help him with track order. He wanted to change the original order of the songs. This is because he felt the album should start with something more lively and in tempo. He felt modern audiences would relate to that. He liked the idea of starting with "Watch What Happens". But he couldn't figure out the rest of the order. I made a chart with the tempo and key of all the songs and figured out the order that ended up on the CD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonWhite
…The amp was either a twin or a vibrolux. It is posted somewhere.…

Thanks for writing about the recording process in the latest November 2018 newsletter Leon. Was that a Vibrolux or a Vibroverb? If Vibrolux, maybe it's the one I got from Barbie that she said was Ted's favorite amp.

Also, what was the reason behind Ted's "no base-plate" bridge pickup?

Reply with quote  #6 
I seem to have lost a post . . .

Thanks for the info Dan. It makes perfect sense. 

Ted removed the base plates off all the blackguard bridge pickups I would guess.  His parts box has many of them.  When grounded, some shielding is provided by the plate, which is steel and plated copper.  But because it is steel, it might change the magnetic field in Ted's opinion.  A pure copper plate would not as it would have a magnet permeability equal to air.

L
DanSawyer

Reply with quote  #7 
So, none of Ted's blackguard Teles had a metal bridge plate. Interesting…

Reply with quote  #8 
So that was his secret!  And here, I was always thinking that he just practiced a lot.  :^)
DanSawyer

Reply with quote  #9 
Practicing… what's that?

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE