PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..
Register Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
ckrit

Reply with quote  #1 
I'm posting this one here, because Barbara once mentioned in a topic here it would be a good place to start from. I can't seem to the find first part of this series though, or should I just start from the 2nd part?
PaulV

Reply with quote  #2 
Okay....let's play....
For starters, here's Ted's lead sheet for "How High the Moon."

Attached Files
pdf How_High_the_Moon_-_TG_Lead_Sheet.pdf (123.76 KB, 26 views)

PaulV

Reply with quote  #3 
Okay.  I'll make the first move.  Here's the first phrase.  (attached)
I'm thinking that Ted might back-cycle into the G.  So, I did a vi7 - II7 - V7.  
The II7 chord could be thought of as either a II7b9 (that is, A7b9) or as a bVI7 (tritone sub.).

Another nice approach would be to do a contrary motion starting on the G triad, then G with 7 in the bass, then to E11 or Em11, then to a G6/9.
How High the Moon - phrase 1.jpg 

Reply with quote  #4 
Hey Paul, thanks for your reply!

I checked out the lead sheet beforehand and also thought Ted would backcycle through the Gmajor7 (Your choice of voicings is really interesting by the way!). I got stuck on the next phrase though, going into the Gm7, that's why I thought I'd check out Ted's series on it.
PaulV

Reply with quote  #5 
Hi Ckrit,
I looked in the "Ted Archives" and discovered that he did not create a written arrangement for this song. If he had I certainly would have posted it, and not my crazy ideas.
Years ago Keith Richman wanted the TG community to create a "group arrangement" with contributions from anyone who wanted to add their ideas.

So, here we go......  
Now we need someone to do the next phrase (or another idea for the first phrase).
Anyone?

Reply with quote  #6 

Quote:
I can't seem to the find first part of this series though, or should I just start from the 2nd part?

Paul, I think that "ckrit" is looking for Ted´s chord studie "How High the Moon, Harmonization of 1st Phrase - Pt 1" pdf. It seems to have disappeared from the archive.

PaulV

Reply with quote  #7 
Oh..... I didn't understand.
I'll check with Dan to see if it turned invisible somehow.
We can always upload it again if it was eaten by cyber monkeys.

Just the same....anyone want to continue with harmonizing the whole tune as a group project?
We're waiting for the second phrase.

Reply with quote  #8 
Thanks Anders, that's what I was trying to ask for, sorry my question was a bit too vague. I'm also interested in seeing other people's ideas on how to harmonize this tune though. [smile]
Anders

Reply with quote  #9 

ckrit, I have the 1st part of this serie on my drive. If you don´t wan´t to wait for Dan to upload it again, just PM your mail and I´ll send it to you.

Paul, it would be a cool idea to start something like this, with a new song every month. It can be in conjunction with each monthly newsletter.

I'll try to continue on your beginning and see what I can come up with.

PaulV

Reply with quote  #10 
Here's the file you're looking for.  I'll remove it from here after Dan replaces it back in the "Chord Studies" section.

1/2/2015 UPDATE:
Our Webmaster has restored the "missing" file.
Here's the link:
http://www.tedgreene.com/images/lessons/chords/HowHighTheMoon_HarmonizationOfThe1stPhrase_Part1_1987-03-21.pdf

Reply with quote  #11 
Ok, I continue where Paul left off. I keep it simple, 2nd phrase that goes to Gm7.
Anyone wants to do the next?

howhigh.jpg

PaulV

Reply with quote  #12 
Hi Anders,
Thanks for adding your 2nd phrase grids.
I like the D/F# and the last Gm7, but I have a problem with playing a Gm or C7 chord prior to the 3rd measure.  Originally the first 2 measures are G major, and measures 3 and 4 are Gm7 and C7. By playing the Gm7 and the C13 in measure 2 you're giving away the surprise of the Bb note that is first introduced in measure 3.  
Is there another option for those chords?

Reply with quote  #13 
To keep up Anders' idea of the scale wise bass motion I would play this:

How High The Moon ala Ted.jpg 

PS: In fact I would omit the a and the g in the last two chords, because I like smaller chords better. But that's just me...

Anders

Reply with quote  #14 

That´s neat! I like that, and thanks for joining.

Paul, yes you´re right. I anticipated the harmony. Thought it sounded good at the moment[smile]
I did a new variation. I guess you can also look at the D/F# as a Bm7(no root), Is this what Ted would call a "scalewise approach"?

howhigh2.jpg 

OK, I continue with an example for the next phrase. Starting on beat 2, in measure  4 (C7-Fmaj).

howhigh3.jpg 

PaulV

Reply with quote  #15 
Here's my 2 cents for the next phrase.  
I did 2 different versions. After Anders' Am7, I felt that the bass needed to go the the low F, but I also like the descending bass in the 2nd example.
How High the Moon - phrase 4  (2).jpg 
How High the Moon - phrase 4.jpg 

Quick Navigation:

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE