PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..
Register Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Rivendell

Reply with quote  #1 
I have been messing with improvising off in major keys, but playing around within the 5 scale boxes. Over time I have some sort of a internalized in my ear an idea of single line major sounds (still very incomplete).

Are there any better ways to do this, specifically for minor keys? (There's only 1 major scale as opposed to 3 minor scales)
I tried playing the melodic and harmonic minor scales and trying to improvise off those notes, not very successful. Probably needs more time to let it seep in, but I thought asking on the forum would be a good way to find out how other people do it.

Thanks.
Keith

Reply with quote  #2 
Hi Rivendell, I found a book by Bert Ligon called Connecting Chords with Linear Harmony to be very helpful for both major and minor sounds. Enjoy! Keith
PaulV

Reply with quote  #3 
Don't forget about the Lydian scale for major.  

In the "Fundamentals" section of this website there's two lessons:
on harmonic minor scales:
http://www.tedgreene.com/images/lessons/fundamentals/Harmonic_Minor_Scale_1978-09-12.pdf

and on minor scales:
http://www.tedgreene.com/images/lessons/fundamentals/Minor_Scales_1974-02-26.pdf

However, these are lessons on fingering positions, their relation to chords, their relation to arpeggios, etc., not usage.
(I'll look at the Ted archives and see what other lesson pages he has and see about getting them posted soon.)

For that you can check out Ted's books:

Single-Note Soloing book, Vol. 1"  
        Chapter 5 on the minor 7th scale.

And Single-Note Soloing book, Vol. 2"  
        Chapter 10 on Melodic minor scale and Harmonic minor scale.
        This includes example and patterns as well as fingering diagrams.

Chapter 1 is on "Playing Through Changes" and shows how to put everything together in a song context.

For me I often will use the harmonic minor scale over a ii-V going to a minor chord, but not on the minor chord itself, unless you want that natural 7 in there (usually not).

What do you other guys have to say?

Quick Navigation:

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE