PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

VISIT OUR NEW SUPPORT PORTAL
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..

Author   Comment   Page 5 of 6     «   Prev   2   3   4   5   6   Next
spideyguy

Reply with quote  #61 
For 7 I get:
F Eb6  dm Db9

For 8 I get:
F Db7 D/F# Eb/G

PaulV

Reply with quote  #62 
Spideyguy, Did you intend to refer to examples #11 & 12 (not 7 & 8)?
I get something a slightly different from you:

Ex. #11
F---Eb6----D----Dbmaj9
I---bVII---VI---bVI

Ex. #12
F----Ebmaj7----D/F#----Eb/G
I----bVII----VI----bVII

Correction:  The red font above is incorrect.  Here is the correct chords for Ex. #12:
F----Dbmaj7----D/F#----Eb/G
I----bVI----VI----bVII

Ted also offers a variation for Ex. #12:
F----F/A---Fdim7/Ab---Eb/G
I----I----Idim7----bVII

Interesting how Ted is taking this simple melody further out harmonically with each example.
--Paul

Reply with quote  #63 
Paul

Your right I did mean 11 and 12. I was curious how you are getting the bVII for example 2? To me it doesnt add up but I am probably looking at it wrong as my last posts have been pretty hit and miss.

Just curious

Chris
spideyguy

Reply with quote  #64 
Paul

Thanks for the reply, hopefully I can clarify my question. The 2nd chords notes in #12 that i get are F(held over from the previous chord) Db on the A string Ab on the G string and C on the B string. So I get a Db7/F not an Ebmaj7. Again I could be reading this wrong.
PaulV

Reply with quote  #65 
Chris,
Oops!  Yes, I made a mistake...that second chord in example #12 should indeed be a Dbmaj7/F - (not Ebmaj7 as I wrote, and not a Db7/F as you wrote).  The C note is the major 7th of the Db.
I'm going to go back to my previous post and make the corrections.
Sorry for the confusion.

Reply with quote  #66 
Okay....on to the next examples #13 and 14.

Attached Images
jpeg Warm_Harmonization_of_Melodies_with_b7,_1980-10-01,_Ex_13-14.jpg (211.37 KB, 34 views)

PaulV

Reply with quote  #67 
Anybody game for continuing these studies?  We still have #13 and 14, plus one more to finish this page.
--Paul

Reply with quote  #68 
Yes, please...by all means!

Reply with quote  #69 
OK David, the ball is in your court....see the examples in post#66 (above).
--Paul

Reply with quote  #70 
Example 13:
FM, FM7, Dm/F, Fm7

Example 14:
FM, F7sus4, Dm/F, DbMadd9/F

Observation:

Both examples exhibit a descending tenor and ascending soprano (with the soprano being identical in both) over an F pedal.

I could put in roman numerals, but they don't really offer any insights into these very short successions.

Reply with quote  #71 
David,
Do you think Ted could have been thinking all F chords in both of these examples?  Instead of Dm/F, perhaps it could be F6 -- that's a pretty common form for F6 (although no 5th).  And the Dbadd9/F ....just maybe an Fm7#5 (well, that's kind of a stretch...but....)
Just musing.....
I think you hit it on the head seeing the ascending and descending lines.  This is no doubt what Ted was going for: the inner movement.  Then the names of the chords are secondary.
--Paul

All right...now for the final example in this series:

Attached Images
jpeg Warm_Harmonization_of_Melodies_with_b7,_1980-10-01,_Ex_15.jpg (200.60 KB, 22 views)

bishopdm

Reply with quote  #72 
Hi Paul:

Yes, you could be right about that F6 chord.  For my money, the doubled D might slant it more toward the Dm/F, but I can certainly see your point.  The exercise is really all about F!

I did my analysis at work without a guitar, so I didn't get to "hear what I saw" before I sent it to you.  I like your musings; that's how we learn things, isn't it, by wondering, "...could it also be so and so?"

It would be enlightening to know what Ted might have played after that fourth chord...

Reply with quote  #73 
Okay, since no one has commented on example #15 I thought to take a crack at it.
F---Eb6---Bb7/C---F9
I---bVII---IV7---I7
The final F7 has an interesting sound because of the half-step between the 9th (2) and the 3rd.  Some people may argue that a 9th technically needs to be voiced above the 7th in order for it to be called a 9th instead of a 2.  But this doesn't figure into the way I've been taught about chord construction.  Especially with the b7th in this chord, it would be odd to call it a dominant with a 2, or a F7(add2).
Your thoughts?

The third chord here could also be viewed as a E7(#5) or other possibilities. 
Your thoughts?

Ted also offered two alternative chords for the third spot:  Cm9 and Bb7/C.

Reply with quote  #74 
Hi guys,
When working on one of Ted's pages that will go up next month, I found a little unrelated tidbit at the bottom of the page.  I don't know what else to do with it, so I thought to post it here.
It was written for a student, "more or less," and seems to be an expanded key chord move in the key of A.  I don't know what else to call it, but it seems like this would be a nice little modern-sounding tag for ending a song in A.  
Any other thoughts about how you might use it or define it?

Updated 3/2/2015, This page has now been moved to the "Harmony & Theory" section in the Lessons:
http://www.tedgreene.com/images/lessons/harmony/ExpandedKeyChordMove_TedGreene_2005-01-18.pdf

Reply with quote  #75 
Hi Paul.
 This is very beautiful and fun to play. Thanks for this morsel. I think your definition of "expanded key" is very apt. He hits on all the non-diatonic bass notes plus the IV and V. it is really very cool and it is a sound that I have heard Ted play variations on many times. There is a lesson in the Mark Levy collection whare Ted talks and demonstrates these sounds. I'll snoop around and see if I can find it and pass it along.
Thanks
 Tim
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE