PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..
Register Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 3 of 3      Prev   1   2   3
jerome

Reply with quote  #31 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabukudragon
WOW! Nice footage of GVE! To me, George seemed slightly uncomfortable with the plectrum in hand. Was he using the pick because of the acoustic guitar in a group setting, or single line runs in his solo? Or was this just a period in GVE's life where he was using a pick?

Van Eps played with a pick throughout the 30s and 40s. He mostly played rhythm in big bands, small groups and on recording sessions. When he soloed, he did so with a pick. While he did practice and play fingerstyle at home, he used a plectrum routinely as a working musician and continued to do so as a sideman into the 60s.

His late 40s recordings on Jump were played with a pick while the tunes on Mellow Guitar are divided between fingerstyle and plectrum. There are some recordings in the 50s where GVE was close miked with his acoustic guitar and played a fingerstyle solo. From the 60s on, he played fingerstyle exclusively on electric guitar.
NickStasinos

Reply with quote  #32 
On my search for more George Van Eps transcriptions, I came across this.  Check out Spanish guitarist Jordi Farres who made some pretty cool GVE recordings.  He is offering them as a free download here: 

http://www.jordifarresmusic.com/?page_id=153

Good stuff!

Nick

Reply with quote  #33 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickStasinos
On my search for more George Van Eps transcriptions, I came across this.  Check out Spanish guitarist Jordi Farres who made some pretty cool GVE recordings.  He is offering them as a free download here: 

http://www.jordifarresmusic.com/?page_id=153

Good stuff!

Nick

Jordi Farres has a book about Van Eps concepts applications but nobody in Spain is interested in its publication.

What a pity!

Reply with quote  #34 
One possible reason for the lack of interest in Spain for Jordi's materials might be the students in Spain possibly are all currently working on Steve Herberman's Van Eps concepts applications from Mike's Masterclasses.  In fact, Jordi himself might possibly be working on this material.  
sjl

Reply with quote  #35 
May be but I think the reason is more related with the fact that the jazz guitarist market is a very small one. 

Reply with quote  #36 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickStasinos
Nice uptempo chord solo on "Do You Know What It Means To Miss New Orleans"!

Regarding George Van Eps transcriptions, I saw someone on the web offering his transcription of "Tango El Bongo" for 6 strings.  Does anyone in the forums have it?  I would love to get that one!  By the way, I do have transcriptions to George's arrangements of "Tangerine" and "And I Love Her" for anyone interested ... email me.

Nick

Any idea where you saw the Tango El Bongo 6 string transcription?
NickStasinos

Reply with quote  #37 
I didn't really see the Tango El Bongo 6 six transcription, only the mention of it's existence.  Howard Alden plays a nice 7 string version on his Smithsonian DVD.  I'm still interested in obtaining a copy of it!

Nick

Reply with quote  #38 
Here is the link where I saw someone offerring it:  https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/TablEdit/conversations/messages/22
Looks like Andy Brown has a six string arrangement of it: http://www.vintageguitar.com/21064/andy-brown/

Nick

Reply with quote  #39 
Cool I'll definitely check this out, thanks
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE