PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..
Register Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 3      Prev   1   2   3   Next
NickStasinos

Reply with quote  #16 

Here's something you may find of interest!  I copied these photos of a George Van Eps "Seven-String Guitar" LP from an eBay auction a couple of years ago.  This album was originally released in 1967.  Apparently, this particular copy was from Ted's personal record collection.  It has Ted's writing on the back of the album! 

The writing is difficult to see in some places, but I will try to interpret what Ted wrote here:

“Practice chromatic melodies on all changes.”

Side A:

Satin Doll “End II iii ii I”

Prelude to a Kiss

A Blues Serenade

The Very Thought of You

Kisses “End IV iii ii I”

Stop,  Look and Listen "M? groove & ? plays"

Side B:

Sophisticated Lady

Glad To Be Unhappy "beginning"

Serenata

Baubles Bangles and Beads

A Libra Rhapsody

Come Rain or Come Shine “Circle of 4ths on last chord”

It would be nice to hear these tracks.  Were they reissued on CD in all or in part?

Nick

Attached Images
jpeg 1_van_epps_lp_front.jpg (64.10 KB, 75 views)
jpeg 2_van_epps_lp_back_(ted's_writing).jpg (68.68 KB, 130 views)

jerome

Reply with quote  #17 
Hello All,

Here are links to two recently posted video clips of George Van Eps and Howard Alden from a 1993 festival performance in Germany.

Stomping At The Savoy

Night and Day

Hopefully more of this will surface.
Enjoy,
jerome
NickStasinos

Reply with quote  #18 
Wow Jerome!

This is some of the best performance footage I have seen of George Van Eps so far.  I always enjoy hearing George and Howard Alden playing together.  Thanks for posting the links!

Nick

Reply with quote  #19 
Someone mentioned before that there was a transcription of Tangerine online. I thought I'd give you the heads up that I did another George Van Eps chart that you might of missed.

Hope it's useful.

http://blog.nocertainthing.co.uk/2008/07/17/cheek-to-cheek/
DougMiers

Reply with quote  #20 

Maybe everyone already knows this, but no one said anything on the question of there being CDs of George's albums.  A company called Sundazed reissued all 3 of the Capitol albums--I think 2 of them are still available; and Corinthian Records did offer a CD version of Mellow Guitar.  I don't know if it's still available.  To me, hearing Mellow Guitar on CD is a wonderful experience because you can hear all the little details SO much better.  Hope I'm not wasting everyones time with this comment.

earsoup

Reply with quote  #21 
Found this on google books, you can actually view a few pages !

VanEps book 3
ronjazz

Reply with quote  #22 
I can't access the Cheek To Cheek transcription at the moment, but the Tangerine transcription didn't take into account the fact that Van Eps tunes his guitar a full tone low, meaning his low note is a G. In order to effectively play the Tangerine transcription on a regular-tuned 7-string, it must be transposed.
CraigH

Reply with quote  #23 
I would love to see those two transcriptions of George Van Eps mentioned here (Tangerine and Cheek to Cheek), but the web site (nocertainthing) has been inaccessible for months. Did anyone here download either or both of those two transcriptions? If so, could you send me a copy or post them elsewhere? Thanks

Craig

midivox

Reply with quote  #24 
Hi All,
     Ted was always sending me out for homework to meet some of his famour guitarist friends. He would arrange for me to meet them and listen to them play one song and then explain to me what their harmonic thinking was, why they used certain chord voicings , bass lines and what Ted called Walking Chords. He sent me to George Van Epps a few times.
   A great learning experience. From Van Epps, the master of making triads sound like the guitar truly was a lap piano.
Happy Guitars
Timothy Kelly
MidiVox
Teach Yourself Singing

MidiVox Voice to Midi Hardware
http://www.healingmusic.net welcomes all
JohnGibbs

Reply with quote  #25 

Hello. I have been working with the Van Eps material for a couple years now. I would have responded sooner, but somehow never got a confirmation email to contribute. The last time I replied, was before I had to sign in. Anyway,the best way for me to learn how to use "Harmonic Mechanisms" is to listen to him play. I can hear the chromatic concept in his original composition "All Alone." His Contrary Motion studies are applied in "I've Got a Crush on You." (You Tube) Really, one may not know how to apply this stuff until they get it under their fingers. It probably depends on their level of play. Even if they don't apply it in a musical sense, the technique payoffs are tremendous. These books are sacred to me. John

jerome

Reply with quote  #26 

Hello All,

Like many of you, I have been a long time fan of George Van Eps. I still have the Guitar Player interview that Ted did with him. I really appreciate the posting of the interview tapes. It's wonderful to hear the dialogue between Ted and George.

Recently, I've been listening to George's earlier plectrum work with big bands and small groups along with recordings of Allan Reuss, one of GVE's star students from the 30s. Stylistically, Allan Reuss mirrored the Van Eps approach but played with more punch and drive.

I'm attempting to transcribe solos by Van Eps and Reuss which can vary in length from two, four and eight bar phrases to occasionally, a full chorus. I'm using the George Van Eps Guitar Method and the GVE solo folios from the 30s and 60s as guides to figure out fingering devices.

I have some questions for anyone who may have studied with George (or Allan).

1. Does anyone know when Van Eps began to tune down a whole step on a regular basis? This would help me figure out chord positions more accurately. I know that he used the low tuning for solo work in later years but what about the 40s and 50s era? For instance, in the YouTube clip of George playing Lap Piano, the key is F minor but he's playing in G minor positions.

2. Before he switched to fingerstyle playing exclusively, did GVE employ any pick and fingers technique?

If anyone can answer these questions I would be most appreciative. I would also enjoy hearing any tips, stories or insights from anyone who took lessons from George or Allan.

If I think of any more questions I'll post them.

Thanks,

Jerome

richard_herdman

Reply with quote  #27 
Hi - I have a transcription of Lap piano which I did a few summers ago - pretty much leaving out the low 7th string but otherwise accurate - I'm happy to post it if anyone is interested cheers
jerome

Reply with quote  #28 

Hello Everyone,

It's been a while but I wanted to share a video that I discovered a few days ago. This a kinescope of a TV program, Stars of Jazz, that played locally in the Los Angeles area in the mid-50s. This particular show from 1956 features The Rampart Street Paraders with George Van Eps playing his Epiphone Deluxe acoustically with a pick.

The program is 30 minutes. At 9:46, there is clear audible footage of GVE playing rhythm. At 10:40, Van Eps plays a solo. The tune is Do You Know What It Means To Miss New Orleans.

This is the only clear footage I have ever seen of George Van Eps playing as he did in the 30s and 40s. It's a short but profound illustration of the lessons from The George Van Eps Guiar Method.

Enjoy,
jerome

sabukudragon

Reply with quote  #29 
WOW! Nice footage of GVE! To me, George seemed slightly uncomfortable with the plectrum in hand. Was he using the pick because of the acoustic guitar in a group setting, or single line runs in his solo? Or was this just a period in GVE's life where he was using a pick?
NickStasinos

Reply with quote  #30 
Nice uptempo chord solo on "Do You Know What It Means To Miss New Orleans"!

Regarding George Van Eps transcriptions, I saw someone on the web offering his transcription of "Tango El Bongo" for 6 strings.  Does anyone in the forums have it?  I would love to get that one!  By the way, I do have transcriptions to George's arrangements of "Tangerine" and "And I Love Her" for anyone interested ... email me.

Nick

Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE