PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..
Register Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
barbarafranklin

Reply with quote  #1 
Five Years Ago Today....

Attached Images
jpeg Ted's_commemoration_from_Newspaper.jpg (781.97 KB, 51 views)

wkriski

Reply with quote  #2 
So sad

Reply with quote  #3 
Hard to believe 5 years have gone by so quickly, seems like just yesterday.

Dan Sindel (your humble webmaster)
PaulV

Reply with quote  #4 
Five years...but oddly enough I find myself closer to Ted and his teachings now more than before.  So much is now available in videos, audio recordings, lesson sheets, photos, etc. Yet we miss him.
Thanks to all who contribute to this website as well as those who perpetuate Ted's musical legacy.

Reply with quote  #5 
Our hearts never abandon those we love.
Leon and Judy
TLerch

Reply with quote  #6 
Yesterday on NPR there was a profile of Daniel Shorr a wonderful newsman who died Friday at the age of 93. As the piece was ending the bumper music was "It Aint Necessarily So" from Ted's Solo Guitar Album! Thought that was a real nice way to honor Ted on this day.
markjens

Reply with quote  #7 
Barbara and all - I am one of those who never got to meet or know Ted personally.  All I knew back then was what I read in the occasional magazine article, and that was precious little.  I am also one of those who is so very thankful for who Ted was, what he represented, and that all of you are so concerned with the passage of this legacy.  Like you Paul, I am amazed at the amount of 'Ted' there is available today, and so incredibly thankful for it.  Sorry I've not been active here of late, boys' baseball seasons have been in playoff mode, and we're almost done for the summer.  Thank you to everyone who has a part in one more piece of Ted that we get to know.  Thank you, thank you!
Mark
PaulV

Reply with quote  #8 
Today it is now 7 years ago....
On that day Ted was abruptly lifted from this world to the higher realms, where, no doubt, he is rapt in listening to the astral music, mingling with the great musical masters who went before him, while we remain here listening to, playing, and trying to understand the music and lessons he left behind for all of us.
It is a good day to pull out one of Ted's arrangements and breathe some life into it.

Reply with quote  #9 
Once during a lesson, I remarked to Ted that he was such an excellent player and asked him what he still had to strive for.  He said, "Well, there's always Bach."  That was the standard he held himself up to!

He didn't mean it in a prideful, bragging way.  He meant that no matter what you achieve musically, there's still the inspiration of J.S. Bach and you can do more.

Interestingly, after Bach died, it was his students, including his sons, who carried on his legacy.  Bach became pretty unknown for generations after his death.   Very little was published until he was eventually rediscovered decades later.  Today, all of his compositions that still exist are published and he is intensely studied and listened to.

So students of Ted - and that includes you even if you've just looked at one of his lesson sheets - have at least a little responsibility to share with others some of the musical creations and discoveries he made.  In us, in this web site, and in his music, he lives on.
JimmyC

Reply with quote  #10 
I never had the opportunity to meet Ted, but I still have a lesson page he sent me as a response to an arrangement I did in Just Jazz Guitar, years ago. Ted actually took the time to do all these chords and scribbled notes.....amazing. I played in Nashville for many years, and occasionally heard another genius, Lenny Breau.  Ted handled life so much better! 
p.s. I wonder how many of us have these "lesson pages" to this day!?

Reply with quote  #11 
Hi Jim,
Thanks for sharing that information about your arrangement.  
We'd love to see anything that Ted wrote for a student.  Is it possible for you to scan and either post here in the Forum or email it directly to me?  I can make sure we post it somewhere in the Lessons section or the From Students section. I'd even be willing to help decipher and notate anything that is difficult to read.

This goes for anyone else out there who has some "custom" lesson sheets from Ted.
For many of his private students Ted would add comments or diagrams to his regular hand-outs.  However, if there was a special request he would write up a new page during the lesson(s) and then ask the student to make a photocopy of it for him and bring it to the next session.  Ted was pretty meticulous about saving and documenting all his papers.  Because of this we have a mountain of his written material which we intend to eventually post on the site....but we're always greedily looking for more!

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE