PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..
Register Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
sabukudragon

Reply with quote  #1 
Im curious, has anyone got any tricks, techniques, or general advice on achieving, lets say for arguments sake, an arpeggio sweep with fingers instead of plectrum? If not, maybe just know of a player who does this sort of thing? Let me know! I can go down with the thumb kind of clean, but coming back up is the tricky part...I cant get the fingering clean...and  coming back UP with the thumb is just cumbersome..and i dont think its a good idea anyway. Any help is appreciated!

TLerch

Reply with quote  #2 
I play consecutive up strokes with my RH index. I use the flesh and drag the finger up across the strings it is important to have the finger relatively flat in relation to the strings. get a lot of meat on the string and it give a very nice tone.
all the best 
 Tim
sabukudragon

Reply with quote  #3 
Thanks for the advice Tim!
   First off. I'm a big fan of your playing. When I was searching for similar guitarists to Ted, one name kept coming up: Tim Lerch. And it is well deserved I appreciate your contributions to Jazz Guitar Society as well.
   So back to sweeps, you use your RH thumb for the downstrokes right? Is there a lot of force is involved on the upstroke? Or is it more of a graceful delicate touch? 
  Thanks so much, and keep up the awesome playing!
                           Vance
Keith

Reply with quote  #4 
I do a lot of sweeps with my index and middle fingers.
I find it helpfull to plant my thumb on the last sting to sound.
So it's a sweep followed by a thumb stroke.
Best
Keith
sabukudragon

Reply with quote  #5 
Thanks keith,
With your index and middle, are you going downstroke or up? I'm assuming if it was downstroke, this would essentially be similar to a flamenco technique..not sure of the spanish name.
TLerch

Reply with quote  #6 
Vance.
yes i use the thumb for down strokes and occasionally "sweep" with it  if the music requires it. the index upstokes for consecutive strings is probably not as delicate as if it were done with a nail, it is important to get a good tone and the way I achieve that is to make sure that there is meat on the string so i push into the string a bit to make sure there is substantial contact but the upward motion is relatively gentle. here is a short vid close up on my right hand maybe this will help better than writing about it. 

all the best 
 Tim
sabukudragon

Reply with quote  #7 
thanks so much tim. Of course, I had to watch the video a couple times. The first time around I found myself tapping my foot with the jam and totally missed the lesson at hand! I had to remind myself, "disregard the song and study". I like how you work in the sweeps here - smooth and subtle.

I can see what your doing - night and day compared to what I was initially trying. I think I was too strict in my RH fingering. There was strict emphasis on one or the other (thumb or index) and too much hand/arm movement. Whereas what your doing looks very relaxed, natural...and it seems as if all of your fingers were there waiting to be called on to sweep, if needed. The sweeps just an extension of what you naturally do, and comes from your natural playing position

Simply put...I think I was trying to substitute a plectrum for a flexed digit. Imagine dragging a pencil or a stick across the strings! Thats pretty much where I was! Aside from clearing out the room with my horrendous noise, Im sure I was looking pretty goofy as well. Once again, thanks for the time and the video; it's very much appreciated!
TLerch

Reply with quote  #8 
Hey Vance ,
I hope it was helpful. there is a longer vid as well that shows both down and up sweeps and perhaps gives a bit more context.  you can find it here

all the best
 Tm

sabukudragon

Reply with quote  #9 
Hey tim,
   Thanks for that 2nd clip! The longer video gave me a couple different looks at your approach to the sweeps - which is very helpful. I've been practicing the sweeps, and they are definitely coming OUT. I can hear them now, as opposed to before it was just a mad splatter of notes (like i was using a stick from a tree to sweep) . My downs with the "P" are smoother than my ups with either "I" or "M", so the upstroke will be a work in progress.

On a side note..I would like to mention that all along I've been doing this work on my steel and nylon acoustics. Last night, just for fun, I dusted off the cobwebs from the old electric and hooked it up (which is RARE for me). I can say that the sweeps were definitely better by default? Maybe it was Lower action, amplification, neck radius. I dont know, It just seemed easier. Thanks for making time for me Tim! I really appreciate it!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE