PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

VISIT OUR NEW SUPPORT PORTAL
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..

Author   Comment  
LeonWhite

Reply with quote  #1 

Feedback on the site would be welcome.

Hal9000

Reply with quote  #2 
well, here goes, I'll say it.......what makes me nervous is the thought of trying to re-explain something that I learned from Ted. To try and live up to Ted's skill is not going to be easy for anyone. I think I'll just hang out here to learn because the prospect of gaining even more Ted related information can only be positive. Thanks for the site, I'm looking forward to studying with Ted again.
MarkThornbury

Reply with quote  #3 

Just today I received Rich Severson's Guitar College DVD of John Pisano's Tribute Night for Ted. 

Many tears.  Many smiles.  He left us so much. 

We have a lot to do.

Reply with quote  #4 

Hi,

Just wanted to say that I'm very excited about this website. I studied with Ted for about a year in 1984-85 and it was a highlight in my musical life.
I will pass on some of the material he gave me, if it can be helpful to others. I spent some time reading through the chord-melody arrangements that have been posted so far. Its great - like having another lesson with Ted!
I like the block chord diagrams and the notation. I'm not a big TAB fan, so I didn't bother with that. I gotta tell you though, I kind of like Ted's football diagrams (you know, the dots, X's, squares, triangles, and ties).
I understand that some of his handwritten arrangements are hard to read, and of course for a website like this that is intended for a vast audience, I see the need to put it into a standard, easy-to-read format. So I applaud you on the work done so far.

Only suggestion I have is about the notation. I don't understand why the note names are incorrectly spelled. For example, C7 is notated with C, E, G, and A# ! Also saw a number of chords like Ab7 with the bass note as G#, etc. I would guess this is some kind of computer program error that automatically assigns notes. This is a little confusing for me to site-read, since I rely on both the block chords and the notation. I feel that Ted would want the correct spellings, whenever possible or practical.
Anyway, that's my 2 cents for now. Keep up the great work!

Reply with quote  #5 
Leon, speaking of Blue-per, I just clicked on the blues in F that you posted. It is outstanding! What a great way to visualize the fingerboard. If this the sort of thing you are thinking of using on the site, I say full steam ahead.

Reply with quote  #6 

I think we should improve more in the forum.

Maybe we should switch to phbBB style system?

In the long term, good communication would really help.

Koek Wei Chew
jerome

Reply with quote  #7 

Leon, you asked for feedback regarding the format of the music posts. Music plus grids or tabs plus grids. Why not use the notation staff over tab staff format that's commonly used in magazines and commercial songbooks plus the grid sheet. That would satisfy needs of readers and non-readers and you wouldn't have to post everything twice. It would save space on the site also.

Also regarding your concerns about younger players not being familiar with the standards. I think that more soundbites of Ted playing will help remedy that as well as having a link to a site where people can purchase the SOLO GUITAR CD. I believe that most of the people who seek out this site will be ready for what it has to offer. If not, it will help point the way.

TimFischer

Reply with quote  #8 

Leon, I had a question regarding future converting of Ted's "chord box" sheets to standard notation. I am extremely supportive of the idea of converting the diagram's intro standard notation, especially for the benefit of truly being able to appreciate Ted's voice leading. However, I know that a number of these diagrams do not have rhythm strictly notated. The arrangement of "Days of Wine and Roses", for example. Having been given the sheet by a friend, there was always a spot or two that puzzled me rhythmically, even though I am quite comfortable with the song's melody and overall structure. Have you thought about a way to overcome this?

As far as the forum goes, I see no problem with the current forum that is being implemented now. I especially enjoy the spell check :-).

Thanks again, 

Tim

PaulV

Reply with quote  #9 

Hi Leon,

Thanks so much for writing up and posting the arrangements of blues various by Ted.  I really like playing through these and learn some new chord moves in each one.  Its especially helpful (and necessary I think) that you have included a copy of the Ted’s original pages.  This gives one something to compare to, in order to stay true to his arrangements. 

I reviewed “Blues in Bb, number 2” and compared the new pages to Ted’s page, and found a few “blue-pers” or typos that perhaps should be looked at.

Measure 2, chord 3:  For the Eb7 chord, Ted voiced it Bb, G, Dd.  The new write-up has Eb9, voiced as Db, G, Bb, F.

Measure 4, chord 3:  The chord is misspelled and the box diagram has fret 9 listed.  The chord should be spelled Ab, D, F, Bb, with the fret number as 10.

Measure 4, chord 4:  The chord should be labeled as E13, not Eb13.  Also, the E13 chord has the E bass note to be played on the 6th string.

Measure 6, chord 2:  The box diagram for the Bbdim7 should be on the middle 4 strings, not the top 4 strings, and the notation is correspondingly incorrect.

Measure 10, chord 2:  Ted has this chord as a C7(b9#5) with a C in the bass.  The chord in the new write-up was changed to a Gb9 with a Gb in the bass.

Measure 10, chord 3:  The box diagram of the F11 chord is fingered differently than what Ted wrote. 

Some of these differences are subtle, and perhaps even improvements, but if we are indeed trying to keep the purity of Ted’s arrangements, perhaps we should not make changes whenever possible, or if so, to show them as alternate fingerings. 

I hope I’m not coming across as being critical and overly picky.  I applaud all that is being done on this site, and look forward to it to be a major source of musical instruction and inspiration.  I enjoy these arrangements, and if I find future typos, please let me know if I should channel my comments elsewhere.  Thanks again.

--Paul

Reply with quote  #10 

Hi Leon,

Thanks Leon.  Hmmm...proof reading all the new stuff might be more than I can handle with my current work load.  Guitar is my hobby (and passion!), but I can't commit to something that important. 

I'm glad to see Ted's stuff being put into formal noation.  One lesson I had with Ted, I asked him if I could write out his arrangements.  I had recently taken some music caligraphy classes, and was inspired to write his stuff down.  He declined the offer, for two reasons:  1) he felt that much of his written stuff was meant to be somewhat loose, and the chord diagrams were mostly guideposts, open for interpretation and improvisation as far as time and melody goes.  And, 2) he felt I could progress more as a guitarist if I concentrated on getting the chords under my fingers rather than on paper.  Of course he was right.  I followed his advice, and from then on I adopted his box diagram format as my personal preference.  When I taught guitar, much of my stuff was in that format.  I found many guitarists easily relate to it once they understand the dots, X's, squares, etc.

Would it be okay if I continue to comment on the pages after they are posted on the website?  Or is it too much trouble once they go up?

Where do you want me (and others) to direct comments about typos?  Perhaps on a thread in the "Chord Melody" catagory? 

One more: 

“Jazz Blues Number 4” in Eb

Bar 6, chord 4 should be named Db7, not Eb7.

Peace,

--Jay

Reply with quote  #11 
Hi Leon:

I am happy to volunteer to proofread the notated music (traditional staff notation) and compare it to Ted's diagrams, if you still need someone.  Drop me a line at bishop@pharmacy.arizona.edu if you would like to discuss.

David Bishop

Reply with quote  #12 

Hi Leon,

First I must said that you did a great job on the notation, TAB and MIDI conversion. It really put the arrangement into live.

I think there's a lot of us who enjoy the 10 arrangements being posted. The reason few of us commented on the mistakes, may due to your generosity of providing the chord diagram and spoil us for not reading the notation.

I think a lot of people do visit the arrangement page regularly to check if there's any new post. I , being one of them, visit the site 2-3 times a day to check the availability of new piece since the launch of the site at 21st May 2006.

I would like to volunteer for proof reading job, or even copying job if you allow.

Again, thank you for the great job!

FATT.

DanSawyer

Reply with quote  #13 
Where is everybody? I just back in town and noticed no one has posted in a while. Maybe the word is still not out about this website. That could be a good thing while the "bugs" are being ironed out. I'm not sure.

Leon, do you encourage other websites to link this one? Should we be trying to suggest other sites link here?

Reply with quote  #14 
Leon, i just went through the comping examples you posted. I'm not sure how long they've been up, but it sure is fun to listen to and study. At first, it sounds a little strange being played with a midi sample. Of course, we know Ted's guitar was  infinitely warmer and more musical. But once you get past the sound, the musical ideas are wonderful. Thanks again!

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE