PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..
Register Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 4 of 4      Prev   1   2   3   4
gtrrobster

Reply with quote  #46 
Wow!

All I can say at the moment is how lucky I feel to have discovered this site.
Not sure how it has eluded me the past few years, but I am making up for lost time.   You guys really care about TG, music, and sure know your stuff.

Many thanks!

Rob

ps...the Poole radio is outstanding.   one of the better radio docs I have ever heard.

MichaelKeller

Reply with quote  #47 
I agree with Rob- this forum and TG.com are invaluable sources of info, and a great tribute to the man. I wish i had more to contribute than the small sum i sent in. Maybe in the future i can make another donation.

Ted is the king of solo playing IMO, but i also really admire:

Joe Diorio
Joe Pass
Jody Fisher
LeonWhite

Reply with quote  #48 
If you live in southern california, Listen UP!

Playing guitar is really playing music on the guitar I would say, and you will probably NEVER see a better live demonstration of playing music - of being musical - then at the Geffen playhouse in Westwood California NOW. 

The small theater seats about 200+ I'd guess.  The acoustics are sensational, the band and the show are musical with a captial M. 

The show is about Louis Prima and Keeley Smith, artists of a bygone era including their initial lounge work at the Sahara in Las Vegas (50s and 60s), so you get a bonus musical history lesson thrown in for free. You've got a cast of singers, a live rhythm section with brass . . .

And yes, there is a guitarist involved, and he's always worth seeing live because he really stands out for musicality.  Here he take's his jazz guitar playing and fits it into a dramatic stage musical, including about 8 or ten other styles during the show.  (Oh, if I'm not mistaken, he also covered some brass parts on guitar along the way as well.  I told you - musical!)

And to keep you from getting bored, he plays saxaphone, and . . . well I'm not going to spoil it, but you're going to hear some wonderful, wonderful music out of multiple instruments.

It sounds better then a club acoustically; you're close enough to hear the music 'live' straight off the stage, and you see what I consider one of the most memorable examples of a single musician moving back and forth between instruments, completely immersed in a dramatic stage show, and yet never losing his musical identity. 

For most guitarists, 'playing like X' is always part of our lives at one point or another, but we all seek to have our own 'voice' - distinctive, beautiful, flexible, but still us. 

This is the master class in how that's done.  On top of it, the show has got too many great tunes to count from gershwin to autumn leaves to good ol' 4 on the 4 floor blues, and of course Louis Prima's high energy kick-in-the-door style. 

Oh . . . the player is Dan Sawyer. 

If you've never heard Dan live, you must see this show. 

If, on the other hand, you've seen him (with John Pisano for example) then you've REALLY got to see this show. 

But, if you want to see what a rhythm section with 200 performances under its belt sounds like - ah perhaps the word "tight" is too weak - then you've got to see the show.

On the other hand, if you want to see some real singing/belting and some, well. . . energy- is that the word?, then go see this show.

Lastly, the actuall stars of the show, portraying Louis and Keeley, and the story and their performances, are a must see.  The walk through the musical styles gives ample evidence of how rock and blues and Jazz evolved.

Those who know me are undoubtedly surprised by the length of this email.
This show is not running forever although its been extended since this last March.  The tickets aren't cheap, although you'd pay more to see most major acts, but

the experience is priceless. Priceless.

Wish you'd been at GIT or one of those seminars you see on tape here?  Wish you could have been invited to Joey Backenstoe's wedding? 

Consider yourself warned on this one.

The show is nominated for all kinds of awards stuff, a cast album is in the works, bla bla bla.

Go see it NOW.  As I write this, the end of october is the end of the show.

And Dan and company, thanks for one of the most fun, touching evenings I've ever had musically. 

Louis, Keeley - we owe ya!

Leon

P.S - although not currently scheduled, there is a minute possibility you may end up seing Dan 'filling in' on PIANO in the show instead of guitar.  No kidding.
klasaine

Reply with quote  #49 
+1 on that.
A buddy/colleague of mine, Paul Litteral is the trumpet player.
As mentioned, this show is WELL worth the dough re mi. 

Reply with quote  #50 
I can't believe all the requests we've received for more clips of Kenny Poole during his last performance back in Jan '06 - just a few months before he passed away.  Sorry this has taken so long, but I just figured out how to "rip." 

Kenny's Blues -

Lullaby of the Leaves -

Man, do I miss being able to just hop in the car and drive down to Cinci from Columbus to catch this "quiet genius" live...  arg...

Palmer Moore - Organizer
Ohio Fingerstyle Guitar Club

Masemm

Reply with quote  #51 
Absolutely magnificant !!
Thanks so much for sharing !!

Reply with quote  #52 
Leon, I just saw your post above. I'll pay you as soon as the unemployment insurance kicks in. Honestly, I'm turning red reading it. The show was a lot of fun and a great learning experience. However, all good things must come to an end and the production has ended. There is a chance it may come back in another theater, but i don't know if I will be involved.

Reply with quote  #53 

Here's name for you:  Andreas Varady.  He can play the lot and at only 13 yrs old.  I'm 80 and not even 1% as good.
You don't teach this, it is a natural gift.
Absolutely brilliant!  Ted would have loved this kid.
Chech him out on Youtube[smile]

omobob

Reply with quote  #54 
Walter Rodrigues Jr.... 

I found this on Youtube and thought is was worth sharing... Walter also responded graciously to an email I sent him, he is a kind and generous man. 

PaulV

Reply with quote  #55 
Really very nice.  Thank you for sharing.  I sense a deep Metheny influence in his playing in this and other YouTube recordings.

Reply with quote  #56 
Quote:
Originally Posted by poolefan
I can't believe all the requests we've received for more clips of Kenny Poole during his last performance back in Jan '06 - just a few months before he passed away.  Sorry this has taken so long, but I just figured out how to "rip." 

Kenny's Blues -

Lullaby of the Leaves -

Man, do I miss being able to just hop in the car and drive down to Cinci from Columbus to catch this "quiet genius" live...  arg...

Palmer Moore - Organizer
Ohio Fingerstyle Guitar Club

I just got the dvd yesterday. Palmer told me there's only a couple left to purchase and he may not be making another batch so if you want this act fast!

Reply with quote  #57 
Anyone here remember Barbara's Blog, The Ted Greene Archive?

In it she listed a number of student's (of Ted's) of note. 

Steve Herberman, who also contributed some of his lessons with Ted in video format, was one of the chosen few.  Recently I came across the following following YouTube, among others. 

One of my favorite solo jazz guitarists (For George can be found on YouTube), but here is something that Ted would have smiled upon and been so proud of someone to whom he gave a few lessons. 

trio , bass gtr vocal

solo

I have heard Gershwin is the George, NOT GVE.. but it could be a double or even tripe or quadruple entendre as there are a lot of great guitarists named George (Barnes, for one) 

Cheers 

Happy holidays

BLC
Princeofgroove

Reply with quote  #58 
A year late to the party, but has anyone checked out Andy Brown out of Chicago? Very good fingerstyle solo guitar and great using a pick in a band.
PaulV

Reply with quote  #59 
Hi Princeofgroove,
Yes!  Andy is a big fan of Ted.  We featured him in our March 2015 Newsletter.
Go here: 
http://tedgreene.com/news/news_archive2015.asp

You'll have to scroll down to the March section.
You'll love reading his story.
I have a copy of Andy's CD and listen to it a LOT! It's one of my favorite solo guitar albums. He has fantastic timing, superb tone, and touch, and reminds me of a cross between Kenny Poole, Joe Pass and George Van Eps.

Reply with quote  #60 
Yes, soon after I discovered Kenny Poole I was advised to check out Andy Brown. The videos of Andy on youtube are great! I wish I lived close to where he plays so I could enjoy his music live.

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE