PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..
Register Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 4      Prev   1   2   3   4   Next
rafikenn

Reply with quote  #16 
..like to add mr. mick goodrick from boston
ronjazz

Reply with quote  #17 
I consider MickGoodrick the Ted Greene of the east coast, although stylistically more modern. I brought a cassette recording of the original Ted Greene vinyl album to Mick's house one day, and he really was captivated, and spent quite a bit of time listening to and playing along with it. Up to that point, he was inrigued by my 7-string approach, but once he heard what Ted did with lower tunings, he decided that was the way to go. I am about to order another 7-string guitar (I got rid of mine years ago) and try to apply some of Ted's ideas to it. I think it will be a very successful meld, especially with all I've gleaned from this forum and Barbara's incredible generosity with the DVDs and CDs.
Greg

Reply with quote  #18 
Speaking of Mick Goodrick has anyone tried out his books that he has out? I was thinking of ordering one of them, does anyone have a suggestion as to which one i should order?
Bob

Reply with quote  #19 

Ted had countless (literally!) music books in his collection. Being an author himself, Ted bought books to see how others would present and package materials -- much like session-players keeps their sounds current. Typically, he would annotate a section or page, underlining passages that interested him and making notes in the margins. Most of his books have only a few pages with his markings. The "Advancing Guitarist", by Mick Goodrick, was the exception.  Ted filled that book -- in its entirety -- with underlines and comments. For Ted, this was quite unusual. Ted's notes indicate he enjoyed the work and its presentation thoroughly. In particular, Ted was effusive about Mick's series of commentaries at the back of the book. In short, he loved Mick's work. -Highly Recommended Reading-

P.S. I dug it too!

Reply with quote  #20 

Yes, I love that book! A very different kind of approach. A book which like "Chord Chemistry" , "Harmonic Mechanism" , can last you for a loooooong time.

He has got good sense of humor too. There's a very CREATIVE description of an "incredible guitarist" he came up with on page 114:

" .... has a reputation as a "computer destroyer" because three brands of personal computers all exploded when this guitarist's solo on the Blues in Bb was fed into them to be analyzed; is such a sensitive accompanist that no woman vocalist who has worked with this guitarist has ever been able to sing more than 24 bars of any ballad without breaking into tears and sobs.."

DanSawyer

Reply with quote  #21 
That is funny Fatt

Reply with quote  #22 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg
Speaking of Mick Goodrick has anyone tried out his books that he has out? I was thinking of ordering one of them, does anyone have a suggestion as to which one i should order?

Yes the Almanac of voice leading books are the best, I think they are much better than the advancing guitarist. The first one is normal 3 and 4 part harmony, 2nd is quartal harmony. All the drop 2 voicings are good for guitar. It basically a voice leading approach to chords. It really helps you discover new chords and is great for a springboard to writing. Advancing guitarist is good too. I my view those are the 2 best books on music ever written.

Much of it is not playable on guitar as chords but is still very cool.

John

Reply with quote  #23 
I'll chime in on this one too...

I love Ted, George Van Eps, Jimmy Wyble, Lenny Breau, John Stowell, Phil DeGruy, Ralph Towner,  and many of the others that have been named...hope some of you have heard 7-String Guitarist Steve Herberman from Maryland. He has a music page on MySpace featuring some wonderful contrapuntal playing! Please check him out!

also hope some of you have heard Paul Galbraith's recordings of Bach on his many stringed guitar which he holds vertically like a cello...beautiful tone, fantastic control of the independent lines, and mind-boggling cross string trills & ornamentation...check him out!

& The album Christopher Parkening Plays Bach is quite lovely too!
DanSawyer

Reply with quote  #24 
quote: "he was inrigued by my 7-string approach, but once he heard what Ted did with lower tunings, he decided that was the way to go."

Ted came to the same conclusion after playing 7-string for a few weeks. As much as he LOVED George VanEps, he felt switching to 7-string was a "mistake".

Reply with quote  #25 
I played the 7-string for years, from mid-70s to late 80s, and finally gave it up as being too accompaniment-oriented and difficult to solo on. Now I'm back to exploring it as a solo-duo instrument, with both Ted's ideas and the classical lute repertoire as the jumping-off points.
poolefan

Reply with quote  #26 
How about Gene Bertoncinni (NYC), Bucky Pizzarelli (NYC),or the late great Kenny Poole(Cinci)?  Younger entrees would be Craig Wagner (Louisville), Chris Buzzelli (Bowling Green), and your own forum participant - Andy Brown (Chicago)...

Palmer Moore
DanSawyer

Reply with quote  #27 
Quote:
Originally Posted by poolefan
How about Gene Bertoncinni (NYC), Bucky Pizzarelli (NYC),or the late great Kenny Poole(Cinci)?  Younger entrees would be Craig Wagner (Louisville), Chris Buzzelli (Bowling Green), and your own forum participant - Andy Brown (Chicago)...

Palmer Moore

Gene Bertoncini plays some of the most far out substitutions on standards I've ever heard. But they all make sense. He's played Guitar Night at Spazios a few times and always impresses. He likes the nylon string guitar. Bucky, of course is a great player. Kenny Poole amazed me the first time i heard him. Without ever hearing Ted play, he had a very similar concept of walking bass lines and tuing the guitar down for a deeper sound. Also like Ted, he was not well known outside of his hometown. How can we hear some Andy?

photo of KP:

Attached Images
jpeg kennypoole.jpg (23.26 KB, 92 views)

Greg

Reply with quote  #28 
Thanks for the feeedback on the Mick Goodrick books, I'm really liking them. I thought that I might ask about Joe Diorio books. Does anybody have them and recommend them.

-Greg
bishopdm

Reply with quote  #29 
Three recordings with Kenny Poole are available at http://www.jcurverecords.com/

I particularly love the George Van Eps Tribute CD!

Also, the Ohio Fingerstyle Guitar Club has a DVD of Kenny's last performance for them available for sale.  Check it out at http://ofgc.bizland.com/

And I believe a couple of the songs from this performance have appeared on YouTube.

Reply with quote  #30 
WVXU radio in Cincinnati just put together a wonderful two hour tribute to jazz guitar legend Kenny Poole. The show features great music from different points in Kenny's career, as well as remembrances from many of his fellow musicians. Check it out at: http://www.wvxu.org/schedule/aroundcincinnati_archiveview.asp?ID=5/27/2007
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE