PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..
Register Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 4      1   2   3   4   Next
DanSawyer

Reply with quote  #1 
To get this started, who are your favorite solo guitarists in the jazz arena? Some of mine are:

TG (of course)
Carl Kress (a name you may not be familiar with, but very influential)
Johnny Smith
Martin Taylor
George VanEps (one of Ted's favorites)
Jimmy Wyble (an unsung hero. check out his Etudes Lp if you can ever find it)

Reply with quote  #2 

Here're mine:

TG

Joe Pass

Martin Taylor

Tuck Andress

jerome

Reply with quote  #3 

All of the people on Dan's list are favorites of mine also. To which I would add:

Chet Atkins (not specifically jazz, but too influential to omit)

Lenny Breau

Ron Eschete

George M. Smith

Allan Reuss

Snoozer Quinn

And although he falls outside the jazz description, I have to include Jerry Reed as one of the most original fingerstyle guitarists and one of the best composers of fingerstyle guitar music of the latter half of the 20th century.

Jerome

TimGebel

Reply with quote  #4 

I'd like to add Howard Alden. Check out his CD "My Shining Hour" where he plays solo.

medic2022

Reply with quote  #5 

Ted Greene

Joe Pass

Joe Diorio

DanSawyer

Reply with quote  #6 
I just saw where Earl Klugh has a brand new CD; all solo guitar. Anyone here heard it yet?

Reply with quote  #7 

I haven't heard Earl's latest "Solo Guitar" record but Ted did turn me on to the 1989 release. Ted liked that record very much. 

Reply with quote  #8 
Earl Klugh's solo recording(s) are both very good. I find it interesting that he seems to choose the original keys for the tunes rather than "guitar" keys, which I tend to do to take advantage of open strings and range issues. Back in the late 40s there was a guy in Boston named Rudy Vanelli who had one record out on Verve produced by Herb Ellis, a phenomenal take on standards that sounds a little like Ted might have on nylon-string. I turned Mick Goodrick on to Ted's record years ago when we were discussing 7-string guitar, and Mick liked the idea of tuning down a third rather than adding a string, but I was already into the 7, so I spent some time trying to sound like Jim Hall and Ron Carter so that someday I might sound like Ted. Does anyone know if Ted listened to the brazilian 7-stringers like Raphael Rabello?
DanSawyer

Reply with quote  #9 
Ron, that's interesting about Rudy Vanelli. I looked on google and couldn't find any reference to him. Do you have the Verve record?

I don't know if Ted listened to the brazilian guys. There is also a school of 7-string classical players from Russia. That style goes way back, maybe to the 1920s.

Reply with quote  #10 

First off, I want to raid Dan's record collection. I bet there's some great stuff hiding on those shelves.

In response to Ronjazz, it is, unfortunately, impossible to know the depths of Ted's listening habits due to the fact that his record collection was sold off before it could be cataloged. It was voluminous. There is a small sampling of cassette tapes that will be logged but it would in no way detail what Ted was into. It is pretty safe to assume he loved a lot of styles. Barbara is the person who would most likely know what Ted had.

Reply with quote  #11 
Alas, I never had the chance to look through the records. Ted listened to everything - he could always find some redeeming quality somewhere. As for what he LOVED......that's another post.
Reply with quote  #12 

If you enjoyed Earl Klugh's solo albums, you should check out Jeff Linsky's "Solo" album.  Even better, see Jeff live at the Fret House or Boulevard Music!  His chord melody improvisations live are really amazing!

Nick

ronjazz

Reply with quote  #13 
Dan Sawyer: if you're still around and checking in from time to time, I do have the Rudy Vanelli Verve LP, and I have recorded it into Protools. Let me know if you're interested in a copy. I'm toying with the idea of a solo CD myself, with some classical and Flamenco pieces as well as my arrangements of jazz and pop standards, but I need to get another group CD out soonest, since "Romanza" on Whaling City Sound got such a good reception, and the record company wants a followup. I like the 2 Earl Klugh solo releases, but I like him as a person as well; we've known each other a little for many years. I just received the package from Barbara of Ted's stuff, so I have plenty to explore in the next few weeks.
RobertW

Reply with quote  #14 
Favorites... Good one! Ted... tone, grace, humor, grease, groove, truth... the music was all in his masterful resting hands!
List: Ted, Lenny Breau, Wes Montgomery's  intros, interludes and across the board genius, George Benson... Michael Jordon  of the Jazz Guitar World, Larry Koonze (top o' the heap in LA in my book ) Dave Koonse, Kenton Youngstrom,  Bob Gaines.. a unknown but terrifying musician.

I had referred him to Ted years ago where he met w TG. Post that meeting I met with TG and inquired about what  he thought...
he became very quiet and then just sort of laughed.
Perry Schirmer...another unsung master of solo guitar...he is a virtuoso tenor (4-string ) banjo player as well, Jimmy Wyble, Pat Metheny (wish he would do a solo record of standards on a jazz box), Ralph Towner...his recent recordings are stunning, Barney Kessel, George Van Epps (not really a 7-string fan...but shheeesusss....then go listen to Ted on 6!), Raphael Rabello, Paco De Lucia, Leo Kottke, Dan Crary, Phil DeGrey, Buzzy Feiten...if you are lucky enough to hear him live in quiet place, Adam Del Monte...Whoa!, Denis Azabagic, John Williams, Christopher Parkening, John Abercrombie...has a great solo record "Characters". Joe Pass....his passing was also...very...arrrgggghhhh tough.

Ted really knew and seemed to love JP's artistry. We shared many moments collecting our jaws from the floor listening and discussing JP's music.
Herb Ellis. John Scofield...(Rough House: this album is of the most accurate renderings and application of the term Fusion Jazz) no solo recordings I know of but there are some videos I recall seeing...and wow.

I included some of the great and memorable classical solo guitarists in my list as I have grown into listening and studying much of the repertoire. I found many similarities in this v...a...s...t pool of music that paralleled my coveted time and studies with Ted. This intensely intricate and beautiful music further nourishes my musical garden as do my cherished books of lesson pages from Ted.
Ted's knowledge of classical music and particularly the solo piano repertoire was immense. He shared so much in this area and especially his love for JS Bach and the magic of counterpoint. There are some great transcriptions available of the 2 part inventions, and also of the Goldberg Variations, and Sonatas and Partitas, if you are into working hard...like Ted's arrangements you will swear...a lot...and momentarily ....more than once consider the kazoo as an alternative instrument... but hang in there the results are worth it.

I just wanted to share the counterpoint studies suggestions as I was unable to meet with Ted prior to his passing and share with my findings and progress. Particularly the Goldberg variations transcriptions I had just started tearing into. Ted had planted the counterpoint seed years ago by playing one of the 2 part inventions on solo guitar during a lesson. I just remember being speechless.

In the coming years I began working on counterpoint under Ted's supervision. He promulgated the notion of accessibility, simplicity in thinking of and implementing counterpoint into my musical thought process.

Jimmy Wyble was also very instrumental in bringing the concepts of contrapuntal improvisation into my world via a couple of memorable lessons. Jimmy Wybles book 'The art of two line improvisation' is worth researching there is also a companion recording mentioned in Dan's list. Ted was rumored to be working on a book entitled 'Blue Counterpoint'...anybody know anything about it (Barbara?). Over the next year I will be creating and re-creating some of my counterpoint pages from TG as well as my own derivative works from those meetings.

In addition there are some contrapuntal exercises that Ted showed me and I expanded on and wrote out on grids and staff. I am shamefully & selfishly missing the notion of sitting with Ted continuing down the road of counterpoint.

Almost forgot...Jim Hall, man, he could make music with a paper clip. I don't know of any purely solo recordings (i.e. no additional instruments ) but see that paper clip on your desk. Long Live all you Fret Jockeys!
NickStasinos

Reply with quote  #15 

Jeff Linsky (see my post above) just made the cover of the November issue of Just Jazz Guitar magazine and is playing at the Fret House in Covina this coming Saturday, Dec. 9 at 8 pm. 

I have seen him play at least a half dozen times and his improvisational chord melodies are captivating.  A show not to be missed!

Nick

Print

Quick Navigation:

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE