PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..
Register Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Wckoek

Reply with quote  #1 
I know when creativity takes part on soloing, it was hard to formulate a theory or way on phrasing, call and responce as well as rhythic examples.
Do Ted had any exercise to improve musicality in single note soloing?

Regards

Koek Wei Chew
WilliamPerry

Reply with quote  #2 
I don't know if you studied with Ted, but he would have VOLUMES to say on this topic.  You wouldn't want to ask...really.  We wouldn't live long enough to hear and understand it, and then there would be PLAYING IT! 

1. So, first it would be melody; everything is melody.  Playing single line is nothing if you are not creating beautiful melodies.  If you are playing Angel Eyes, do you really have something more touching than what Matt Dennis wrote.  If we have the courage, ego, or stupidity to answer yes, then make beautiful melodies; otherwise leave it alone.
2. Ted would make me (and others I suppose) play just 3 or 4 notes of a chord/scale and nothing else.  These notes would not necessarily be contiguous.  And, you would make ENDLESS patterns out of them.  Do they please you....keep it, develop it.  Of course Ted had every pattern, sequence, and rhythm worked out.  Don't ask!
3. Then you would take these 3 or 4 note melodies and start on different beats.
4. Different rhythms.
5. Different phrases
6. Start and/or end on different intervals in the chord/scale.
7. Play this sequence and/or phrase like Wes, or Joe, or Barney.  Numerous times Ted would say: " Great, great, but how would Wes play that?  Phrase it like Wes."  "How would Bach play it?"  (Ted, Ted, do you know who you are talking to?  Bach, please!)  "No YOU show me Ted."  I guess I really need to figure it out on my own now.  Hope these few tips help. 
barbarafranklin

Reply with quote  #3 
Dear Koek, This is the only page I could find on "phrasing." It's fundamental, but maybe it will give you some ideas.

Update:  This page is now listed in the "Baroque" section of the Lessons:
http://www.tedgreene.com/images/lessons/baroque/Structures_1973-10-22.pdf

Reply with quote  #4 
Thank you. I will try to practice on that.

Regards

Koek Wei Chew
YoungBlood

Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamPerry
I don't know if you studied with Ted, but he would have VOLUMES to say on this topic.  You wouldn't want to ask...really.  We wouldn't live long enough to hear and understand it, and then there would be PLAYING IT! 

1. So, first it would be melody; everything is melody.  Playing single line is nothing if you are not creating beautiful melodies.  If you are playing Angel Eyes, do you really have something more touching than what Matt Dennis wrote.  If we have the courage, ego, or stupidity to answer yes, then make beautiful melodies; otherwise leave it alone.
2. Ted would make me (and others I suppose) play just 3 or 4 notes of a chord/scale and nothing else.  These notes would not necessarily be contiguous.  And, you would make ENDLESS patterns out of them.  Do they please you....keep it, develop it.  Of course Ted had every pattern, sequence, and rhythm worked out.  Don't ask!
3. Then you would take these 3 or 4 note melodies and start on different beats.
4. Different rhythms.
5. Different phrases
6. Start and/or end on different intervals in the chord/scale.
7. Play this sequence and/or phrase like Wes, or Joe, or Barney.  Numerous times Ted would say: " Great, great, but how would Wes play that?  Phrase it like Wes."  "How would Bach play it?"  (Ted, Ted, do you know who you are talking to?  Bach, please!)  "No YOU show me Ted."  I guess I really need to figure it out on my own now.  Hope these few tips help. 

I'd actually love to hear a few more stories along these same lines!

Reply with quote  #6 
Hi
I'm not sure this is the best place to ask, but im looking for books particularly dealing with single string exercises . I was wondering if Ted maybe wrote something in this subject and whare can I look it up? Thanks.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE