PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..
Register Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
James

Reply with quote  #1 
I had a dream this morning about Ted. We were listening to someone lecture about music and all of us were outside. He was sitting on a curb behind a box car or circus train car so he wasn't well seen by others there. I went over to him to ask him something about some chord or other. Instead I asked him, "I like to analyze Bach chorales for fun sometimes. Do you ever do that?" And he said, "Sure. But I like to use the autographs." He meant that he used photocopies of the autographs in Bach's hand rather than printed music. He brought over some really large pages and I thought he was going to show me some of his Bach analysis but instead it was a really funny story/cartoon that he had written. It was all in red ink using a very fine point pen. It started with narrative in his cursive handwriting. Then it had a beautiful detailed drawing that he had made. Then it had lots of black and white pictures cut out of newspapers with cartoon bubbles drawn by him having characters say funny things. It began with "for …" and there was a woman's name to whom he had dedicated it. It was very creative and funny. I hadn't read very far when I woke up.
barbarafranklin

Reply with quote  #2 
Seems like a delightful and vivid dream James! and somewhat plausible.  I love having "Ted dreams" but then I don't want to wake up.  Many times the dreams are SO REAL too.  Thanks for sharing that.   Barbara

Reply with quote  #3 
I've also had a couple of dreams with Ted in them and often have inner discussions with him, asking him what he thinks about such and such... or what would he have played in a given place.  I always find it highly amusing how in the Mark Levy lessons he's always referring to himself or Mark in the third person. Those lessons also make me appreciate how funny he was. Sometimes I just have to laugh out loud with some of the stuff on the tapes.

Reply with quote  #4 
Mike, I still talk to Ted all the time, (out loud) about almost everything. Barbara

Reply with quote  #5 
I had another dream about Ted this morning.  He was showing me chords on his tele that I couldn't quite understand.  Somehow they were related to the ideal gas law in chemistry: PV = nRT.  They related to the right side of the equation and R meant root.  He also had other subtractions in there and would change certain variables and get different chords.  I almost but couldn't quite follow what he was playing and saying.
PaulV

Reply with quote  #6 
James,
Interesting.  Are you sure that PV = nRT doesn't stand for:  Paul V. = no Real Training ?

Reply with quote  #7 
LOL
James

Reply with quote  #8 
I had another dream about Ted.  This time he was trying to teach me V - I chord progressions where the V chord was an altered dominant.  He was explaining how these progressions could be used to score humorous Star Trek TV episodes.  I wasn't comprehending what he was teaching, my brain clouded over with the silliness of Star Trek episodes.

Later I woke up for a moment or two and would think through various dominant seventh chords.  Ted often uses dominant seventh chords that have the 3rd and b7th in the lower two voices, for example in some of his Blues sheets.  I was mentally building and resolving such chords and then falling back to sleep.  So maybe his teaching finally got through a little.

An interesting sheet where Ted characterizes such dominants with curious descriptions like "angular" or "tangy" is:
http://www.tedgreene.com/images/lessons/v_system/V-2_OverviewOf1stInverDomsOnTop4Strings_1986-02-19.pdf
tedandbarbaraare1

Reply with quote  #9 
Thank you, James, for the reminder about that great Ted sheet.   The 3rd inversion sheets are great too.  The 3rd and 1st inversion sheets seem compatible.   

Quick Navigation:

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE