PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..
Register Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
AllanW

Reply with quote  #1 
Can anyone recommend a digital reverb unit for a 'hall reverb' sound? I play a '66 Tele through a Standel amp, which has a gorgeous spring reverb, but I'd like that hall sound. I'm a pure jazz player, (had the good fortune to study with Ted and have my life and music changed forever), not looking for any distortion, just big, warm and true.
Danny Mckinney, who custom makes the Standel, tells me that Lexicon and TC Electronics make very good products, but I see their reverb units get very mixed reviews. Any suggestions?
Many thanks,
Allan
DanSawyer

Reply with quote  #2 
If you give us some idea of price range that will help. Also, what kind of box do you want, floor pedal (small or larger), rack mount unit, etc.?

I don't know what reviews you are reading, but Lexicon and TC are pretty well respected all over the world for their excellent professional products. However, they license technology to other companies who may or may not make good sounding units. For example, Lexicon sounds in Digitech effect pedals.

Reply with quote  #3 
Thanks for your response, Dan.
Great sound is more important than money, and more important than anything. Ideally I'd prefer a small-ish foot pedal for...is a few hundred bucks reasonable? But I'll spend a lot more and go bigger (including rack-mount) if the sound is that much better. What I don't need is a million effects I'll never use. I'm looking for luscious, not distortion.
Sorry if this is still vague. I can play the instrument--when I discovered Ted, I just had to learn to play The Album--but I'm pretty much a technical knuckle-head. 
Allan
TLerch

Reply with quote  #4 
Allan,
 I use the TC Hall of Fame reverb on one of my pedal boards and it is very good sounding and quite flexible for a small sized pedal.
all the best
 Tim
AllanW

Reply with quote  #5 
Thanks, Tim. That's one of the units I'd been considering. Good to hear a personal recommendation.
Allan
klasaine

Reply with quote  #6 
I'm a TC 'Nova' and 'Flashback' delay user.
I can't imagine the various reverbs TC offers being anything other than stunning.
(I've never heard a bad review about TC or Lexicon - ?)

Reply with quote  #7 
Thanks, Ken, personal recommendations are much appreciated.
In terms of bad reviews for TC and Lexicon products--I was looking at what people wrote on Musician's Friend. Although most of it is very positive, there are always, for any of the products, people who say it sounds terrible, they returned it, something else sounds much better, etc.
Allan 
Punkbop

Reply with quote  #8 
AllanW - I've been happy with the holy grail. I know that it worked for Lage Lund at some point: http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=Y_QtV9Aq2oQ&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DY_QtV9Aq2oQ
Not a ton of different sounds, but I've liked it thus far.
AllanW

Reply with quote  #9 
Thanks, Punkbop. Interesting about Lage Lund. I've seen him a few times some years ago at very small clubs here in NY, where he was sporting a very flat sound. He was terrific.
Allan
NickStasinos

Reply with quote  #10 
Regarding digital reverbs, sometime ago I learned the Lexicon PCM70 was the "Holy Grail" for acoustic guitarists' rigs.  I bought one and still wondered why!  Later on, I found out that it depended on what version you owned.  Version 3 lacked the classic verbs I was looking for.  I sold mine and bought a Lexicon MPX 550 for a fraction of the cost and absolutely love it.  I also own two Yamaha SPX90II units that you can customize the patches for excellent dual fx results.  I met a local soundman that was using a Yamaha SPX90 in his live rig with excellent results.  Some say Yamaha digital reverbs sound "cold".  I don't think so!  Probably the best reverb to my ears came from a Eventide H3000SE unit I owned for a short time.  I never used the harmonizer much, so I couldn't justify keeping the H3000SE for a couple of patches.  My two cents - Lexicon MPX reverbs are the way to go!

Reply with quote  #11 
Thanks, Nick, I appreciate hearing about your hands-on/ears-on experience!
Allan
DanSawyer

Reply with quote  #12 
By the way, gear reviews on Musician's Friend are not very valuable because they are primarily written by teenagers been playing less than a year… really. If you want reviews that have a prayer of a hint to a clue, try The Gear Page, Big Racks, or some of the jazz guitar forums. The telecaster and les paul forums are also good.

Reply with quote  #13 
Thanks, Dan--very helpful to know that. Hope all is well with you,
Allan
MikeT

Reply with quote  #14 
I recently played through a strymon reverb pedal (blue sky?): man that's a great pedal, it was a bit too much for me, but I was amazed how good these pedals have become.
Best, Mike
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE