PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..
Register Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
eharpist

Reply with quote  #1 
I play a 10-string Alkire Eharp (non-pedal steel guitar) with Eddie Alkire's tuning:  from top (high) to bottom (low): E, C#, B, A, G#, G, F#, F, E, C#

I recently discovered Ted's amazing knowledge and dexterity on YouTube and I've ordered his Chord Chemistry and Modern Chord Progressions in hopes of applying his ideas to the Alkire tuning.  Am I too optimistic or do you think it can be done on the Alkire tuning using a straight bar on different string combinations?  My aim is chordal melodies.  
PaulV

Reply with quote  #2 
Hi eharpist,
Wow, that's an amazing application of Ted's approach to guitar.  With the tuning you provided I think you'll need to adjust all of the chord diagrams to fit your tuning.  My guess is that you'll need to write new grid diagrams for each chord.  If you do enough of it I would suspect that you'll get proficient at it and develop some sort of system/rules for converting.  Maybe you'll be able to do it on the fly.
I believe that anything can be done if one has the ambition, drive and love to make it happen.  Good luck, and we'd love to hear anything you do.

Reply with quote  #3 
I appreciate the encouragement, Paul.  I made a really crummy video recording of "I'll be Home For Christmas" several years ago as an experiment.  It's choppy and distorted but it does illustrate the potential that the Alkire tuning has for producing extended, melodic chords.  The camera wasn't made for recording music - and the player wasn't too hot that day either.  Here's the URL if you think you can bear listening to it:  

PaulV

Reply with quote  #4 
Nice!  
How would you do chords that are long stretch V-1 (close voicing) type, or moving lines on top of the chord?

Reply with quote  #5 
Paul, you're too kind.  I've been away from music for a long time (it shows in the video) and I didn't know how much I've missed it.  I cobbled that arrangement together by ear using the grips I recalled.  I enjoy hearing arrangements in my head and attempting to duplicate them on the guitar.  At times I have no idea what I'm playing but I get a lift if it sounds right.  I'm reviewing the music notation I learned 40+ years ago.

Speaking of stories, I have one you'll enjoy.  I took Eharp lessons in the mid 60's and I sold the guitar in the early 70's when it began collecting dust.  Three years ago, something inside me wanted to play again.  With the help of a friend, I located an Eharp (they're pretty rare) in Rochester, NY and it turned out to be my old guitar!  If it could only talk and tell me where it's been.

To answer your question, I'll probably have to move the bar more and limit transitions to fewer strings.  Fitting those mellow bass notes in where they belong may be the biggest challenge.  I can see that I'm in for a lot more fingering exercises than I've been doing.  Can't wait to get those books to see what it's all about.
PaulV

Reply with quote  #6 
Ron,
Cool story.
You don't have to wait for the books.  The material in the Teachings/Lessons section of the tedgreene.com site has plenty of material for you to get started.
Go here for Chord Studies:  http://www.tedgreene.com/teaching/chords.asp
and here for Harmony & Theory: http://www.tedgreene.com/teaching/harmony.asp
And of course Fundamentals:  http://www.tedgreene.com/teaching/fundamentals.asp

Have fun in your journey!

Quick Navigation:

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE