PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..
Register Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
wej68

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi. I'm a very low-time jazz player and I'm pretty light on theory so these should be easy. I just started messing around with the"Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas" arrangement, http://www.tedgreene.com/images/lessons/arrangements/HaveYourselfaMerryLittleChristmas.pdf, and had a few questions.

1) The 2nd chord is labelled "F#". Shouldn't it be a F# minor? Isn't the A note, (7th fret on the D string), a minor 3rd above the F#, (9th fret on the A string)? 

2) The 4th chord is labelled "E". The notes are E-D-F#-A. The "D-F#-A" part looks like a D chord...

Thanks!

PaulV

Reply with quote  #2 
Hi wej68,
Welcome to the Ted Greene site.  Good observations!  Don't belittle your chord knowledge, you are right on-the-money with the chord names.

First off I would recommend that you take a look at the "compilation" page I created for this arrangement by Ted. http://www.tedgreene.com/fromstudents/HaveYourselfAMerryLittleChristmas.asp

This will probably answer some of your questions.

When Ted wrote up his arrangements it was always done for teaching purposes, for his students.  He didn't write down his own versions because he was constantly changing and improvising...he didn't stick to a "set" arrangement.  One of the "homework" assignments for the student was to add the chord names above the grid diagrams on the lesson sheets.  Sometimes Ted provided a root letter name, other times he put no name at all.  It was up to us to figure it out, then he would check it in the next lesson.

In this case of "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" he added just the letter name, hence the F# is not specified as to being a major, minor, or whatever.  It is understandable that someone looking at this would be confused....that's why we are in the process of clarifying many of Ted's lesson sheets.

For the E chord you mentioned (4th chord on line 1), it is actually two chords, a D triad (the solid dots) followed by an E triad (the X notes), both with an E bass note ringing on the 6th string.  Consider the D chord to be leading into the E, as a IV to V progression in the key of A.  E is the target chord here, so I think Ted was more focused on the E, rather than the passing D triad.  Or if you analyzed the notes you might consider that D/E to be an E9sus (spelled from the bottom: 1, b7, 2, 4 [or 11] ).

I'd also like to recommend this document, which may shed some light as you read through some of Ted's pages:
http://www.tedgreene.com/images/lessons/students/PaulVachon/HowToReadTedGreeneChordDiagrams.pdf

I don't want to toot my own horn, so to speak, but you may find it much easier to work on the arrangements from the files in the "From Students" section, rather than directly from Ted's original pages (most of them have been written up by me or other students).

NOTE:  I just noticed a typo in my "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" compilation page:  at the top of page 2, the first chord is listed as D (#11), but it's just a Dmaj7.
I'll try to fix that and re-post a corrected version in the future.  Sorry about that!

I hope this answers your questions.
All the best,

Reply with quote  #3 
Thanks Paul. Phew! That answers both my questions and the 50 questions I didn't ask. [thumb]

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE