PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..
Register Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
floatingbridge

Reply with quote  #16 
tatiana nikolayeva also did shostakovich's 24 preludes and fugues... apparently they were written with her in mind.
kontiki

Reply with quote  #17 
Does anybody know where the sheets mentîoned earlier in this thread, namely: "baroque harmony" ( Ted's analysis of the bach partiita, and "shred with Ted") are located?

Thanks

Reply with quote  #18 
I found these on my hard drive. They seem to have disappeared from the site. Hope that's what you're looking for.

Attached Images
jpeg sonata1.jpg (420.62 KB, 28 views)
jpeg shred1.jpg (101.57 KB, 25 views)
jpeg shred2.jpg (105.09 KB, 22 views)

kontiki

Reply with quote  #19 
yes, great. thanks.

Reply with quote  #20 

I double-checked and found that I also have a copy of the "Sonatas and Partitas" on my computer, but I don't see it posted in the "Harmony & Theory," or the "Baroque" section.  
(I spent some time lightening it up a bit, so you might want the attached copy.)

I don't recall it being there, nor remember any conscious decision to remove it. It's not in the "formal" teachings archives of Ted, and it is something Barb Xeroxed from one of Ted's thousands of music books.

Does anyone know the origin of the "Shred with Ted" pages?  I don't see it in the "From Students" section, and again, I don't recall it ever being in the "Lessons" area.

Attached Files
pdf 1999-06-06,_Bach,_Sonatas_and_Partitas_for_Unaccompanie...h_TG_analysis.pdf (575.13 KB, 26 views)

kontiki

Reply with quote  #21 
by origin, do you mean the Bach piece, or the student source? Bob says "The piece "Shred With Ted" in the single note section is Partita No.2 in D, BWV1004, the gigue section".

Reply with quote  #22 
Mike, 
I was wondering who wrote up the pages (maybe Bob?), and if it came from a page by Ted, I'd like to see the original sheet.  I don't see it in the Ted teaching archives.

Reply with quote  #23 
Speaking of Bach, I just obtained a copy of 413 analyzed chorales of JSB. I also got the accompanying chorales without analysis.

Check it out if interested http://bachchoraleharmony.com/

And, for some actual samples of analyzed chorales check out the following:
http://bachchoraleharmony.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/J.S.Bach-413-Chorales-Analyzed_Preview-4.pdf

The analyzed chorales are doing wonders for my skils at seeing and hearing JSB put secondary dominants into action and also modulations.

Also, the separate volume of chorales without analysis are relatively large font and very easy to read. I am going to toss my volume of chorales by Albert Riemenschneider in the trash along with the magnifying reading glasses I bought at the Dollar Tree in order to read the darn things.

As far as music instruction material is concerned, this is unequivocally the best buy I have made in a very long time.

I hope this helps.

TABR1

Reply with quote  #24 
TABA1,
I find it interesting that in the "Chorales Analyzed Preview" on pages vi - vii, the author uses "slashes" very much like Ted did.  
For example, he notates an C triad with an added 9th chord as C/9 (with a slash 9) instead of Cadd9.  
I wonder if this is becoming more standard practice, and is this something that Ted started?
(It sure would be nice if my music writing program recognized this notation!)

I'm sure Ted would have loved this book, and he certainly would have marked it up all over the margins with his own comments, additions, and challenges for the author! 

Reply with quote  #25 
Hey Paul,

Very good observation. The author was kind enough to write me back in response to a question I posed to him and he pointed out that he finds that lately he gets more benefit out of reading through his own analyses reading the chord symbols on the top of the staff. Also, he mentioned to me that he often uses Chord Chemistry. Clearly, another Ted fan.

TABA1

Reply with quote  #26 
For Counterpoint Fans:
There is a video illustrating some of Bach's own instruction on the Goldberg variations that seems to be fantastic.  I'm not as experienced as some here are, but the video is the only one of its kind to move the music, flip it, etc in animation right from the page Bach actually wrote.  It is on a Russian Pianist's site, but I can't find a way to get it off Facebook where I found it.  I hope everyone takes a look at it, even if you're a teacher but NOT into counterpoint.  Great illustrations are there.

Anyway, I reposted it on my facebook page so you can find it.

https://www.facebook.com/leon.white.7161

I don't know anything about the Russian pianist who posted it but the video is fabulous.  I went to UCLA to study music and I never got as crisp and concise an example of this material.  please share if you like it.!!

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE