PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..
Register Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
Wckoek

Reply with quote  #1 

I've just started my studies on Bach's Sonata and Partitas for solo violin upon recommendation from a fellow guitarist.

I wondered if Ted had done and analysis or anything on these compositions of Bach?

Regards

Koek Wei Chew
barbarafranklin

Reply with quote  #2 
I posted Bach's Sonata I for Solo Violin with Ted's analysis a week ago? You will find it in the Harmony & Theory section (this section!) - titled Baroque Harmony.
Also in the Remembrances section - titled "a funny & wonderful memory" ( I think) I posted pg.1 from the Bach Chorale book with Ted's analysis.
There you will also find my explanation of how to understand Ted's analysis & why he chose not to use the traditional figured bass.

Reply with quote  #3 

Thank you for your response, I have checked out the page.
Is there other pieces in the Sonata and Partitas that Ted had analysed?  Had he write any fingerings for it?
Thank you

Koek Wei Chew
Bob

Reply with quote  #4 

The piece "Shred With Ted" in the single note section is Partita No.2 in D, BWV1004, the gigue section.

Reply with quote  #5 
I recently got another recording of Bachs "Sonaten und Partiten" by John Holloway. He is playing them on Baroque Violin. Very beautiful interpretation! Very different from my Nathan Milstein recording...
Which recordings do you like most?
Herzliche Grüße
Markus

omobob

Reply with quote  #6 
I'm fond of Paul Galbraith's recording, on the 8-string guitar
JeffStocksMusic

Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
I'm fond of Paul Galbraith's recording, on the 8-string guitar

I'll 2nd that.  I have probably logged 1,000 hours listening his recording.  Pure wizardy.
John

Reply with quote  #8 
I give it a 3rd...Paul Galbraith's recording is wonderful on so many levels...
the cross string ornaments he uses come closest to my ear
to sounding like worthwhile Baroque ornamentation on guitar...
there are a few short clips of him playing on youtube !
( with his upright guitar ! )

barbarafranklin

Reply with quote  #9 
Ted and my favorite recording of the Bach partitas is a piano version played by Jean Louis Steuerman.  Beautiful and sensitive.  Our all-time favorite Bach "interpreter" for piano is Tatiana Nikolayeva, (I think I mentioned this before somewhere in here).  I have to jog my memory for violin versions.  Barbara

Reply with quote  #10 
I've been listening often to that Tatiana Nikolayeva Plays Bach CD you sent to me Barbara...just beautiful...
The Sicilliano in G Minor! and it was her recording of the Chaconne that prompted me to record that little video I posted...
There are some more audio clips of her playing on YouTube.
Jazzmarkus

Reply with quote  #11 
I bought a recording of the "Goldberg Variationen" by Tatiana Nikolayeva ( I could not find the "plays Bach" recording - yet).
Beautiful. I did not know her. Thank you.

John

Reply with quote  #12 
For anyone interested in delving further into the D Minor Partita there is a wonderful recording available on ECM entitled: Morimur by The Hilliard Ensemble and violinist Christoph Poppen. Professor Helga Thoene in Dussldorf conducted extensive research into Bach's solo violin music and found numerous chorale quotations throughout The Chaccone. This recording features a beautifully played interpretation of the violin music and then, using the voices of the Hillard Ensemble, the Chaconne is played once more with the singers intoning the previously undetectable chorale melodies in parallel with the solo violin. Well worth a listen...
Best Wishes from John in Maine
barbarafranklin

Reply with quote  #13 
Hello John!  I will definitely get this recording! What a great discovery. Thank you so much for sharing.  The Chaconne is one of Bach's most poignant and beautiful compositions (for me).  One can't have too many versions of this gem. Ted & I began an analysis of the Chaconne, when I locate it I will post - if anyone is interested?   Barbara

Reply with quote  #14 
I believe that Bach's solo works for violin are perhaps the greatest example in any art form of a master's ability to move with freedom and assurance, even in chains.
-Ludwig van Beethoven
To me the Chaconne is one of the most beautiful, incredible compositions.
On one staff, and for a small instrument, this man pours out a world full of the most profound thoughts and powerful emotion.
-Johannes Brahms
John

Reply with quote  #15 
Hi Barbara -
Someone has posted The Morimur recording of The Chaconne on YouTube if you'd like to have a listen:
(video have been deleted from YouTube)
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE