PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..
Register Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
James

Reply with quote  #16 
The fingering seems straight forward to me.  I roll the pinky up from a two string barre and the E sustains for me.  Also I do all three chords with the index finger barring four strings at the second fret.  You can also try placing the second finger on the G note in advance.

So fingering from low to high is

Ted might have done 3121 for the last chord.

It's hard to play but doable.  I think it challenges the right hand as well as the left.
James

Reply with quote  #17 
Here's James' pinky roll exercise of the day:

Take a basic C7 chord, the kind you likely first learned.  It's the notes C E Bb C, low to high, on the middle four strings.  Sound the four string chord.  Then roll your pinky on the Bb into a barre covering the same Bb note and the D on the second string.  Your goal is to do so without moving the third finger (bass note) very much at all.  The lower three notes sustain and you play the D note.  Your pinky goes from a normal arch to a barre with a bent backwards joint closest to the nail.  To get this right, you experiment with the angle of your pinky before you roll it.  Small differences in the angle can make the roll easier or harder.

You do this up and down the neck chromatically, rolling your dominant seventh chord into a dominant ninth.

You can also practice rolling up from the pinky barre into the arched pinky playing one note (from the dominant ninth chord to the dominant seventh chord). That note should sustain.  

It's fun and if you are into practicing the pinky roll, it's the kind of thing you can do when you first pick up the guitar.  I like to work on some physical technique when I first start playing.
James

Reply with quote  #18 
Here's James' second pinky roll exercise:

Without the guitar, place the tip of your left thumb on the tip of your left pinky.  Roll the pinky joint closest to the nail from arched to bent backwards.  Go back and forth.

You do this again and again while standing in line at the grocery store or whenever.  Your pinky gets more and more used to the rolling motion.
goldglob

Reply with quote  #19 
If I use 4th finger partial barre rather than tip, my 3rd finger on the C# mutes the 4th string every time. Wish I had longer fingers.
PaulV

Reply with quote  #20 
James,
Those are certainly good exercises.  I can manage the one while standing in line buying groceries.
The other one is good, but I have to practice it a lot....my 3rd finger wants to do its own thing and wiggle around.
Finger independence.
It's odd that this kind of finger bend, the pinky roll, and Ted's tip double-stop, and the George Van Eps 5th finger -- all these should be part of the regular guitar pedagogy.  
I mean, why wasn't I taught that as a beginner...or even at GIT back in 1978?
Ted's fingers did this stuff all the time, and perhaps that's why he could get melody lines to sustain so well as the other fingers danced about on the fingerboard.

Thanks for the tips.

Reply with quote  #21 
I remember Ted giving me Somewhere Over The Rainbow and I struggled so much with the pinky rolls.  I told him how difficult they were for me and he said that they were for him, too.  But he did them with such ease that he must have meant when he was 12 or something.

A lot of time Ted would do this with me.  I'd say something to him like, "I'm just a theory guy."  I meant that I understood music theory but that I hadn't listened to tons of jazz records and gotten really steeped in the music.  (This is still true.)  Ted replied that he was just a theory guy, too.  But of course he WAS steeped in the music as well as knowing a ton of theory.

Or another time I went to a lesson and he started it by playing stock jazz chords.  You know what an immense chord vocabulary Ted had and here he was just playing the really commonly played jazz chords.  Maybe with a pick even.  I felt it was his way of reassuring me.  But I still felt awe and intimidation anyway because I knew what he was capable of.

So anyway, rolling the pinky is still somewhat difficult for me but it is considerably easier since I have really worked at it, with exercises like the above, and in some of Ted's arrangements.
barbaralovedcats

Reply with quote  #22 
I wish to ditto Paul's sentiments e.g. Thanks for the tips, James.  Using C7th as a reference,  I can't keep the Bb sustaining when I roll my pinky to the D, but fortunately, at least, I can keep the C and the E ringing. 

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE