PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..
Register Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Jazzman3071

Reply with quote  #1 
I am looking for an affordable telecaster or telecaster clone. I was thinking about the Fender Baja telecaster. Any thoughts on this? Also is an ash body important to getting that Ted type sound or can this be attained with an alder body? I would prefer to spend less but the Baja is about as much as I can spend and even then its because of the payment plan several online retailers like Zzounds and AMS offer.

I was also looking at some of the squire stuff...with a mind to upgrade/mod the guitar. Are these string through bodies? Will pine give me that Ted tone? So many variables. Thanks for any information you have on what direction to head in.

'Mike

Reply with quote  #2 

Have you tried G&L or possible Matt Raines Guitars? Both I have heard are excelent companies with fair prices.

TLerch

Reply with quote  #3 
I am partial to the Fender Mexi 50s tele, its a good platform to upgrade and very affordable. You can probably find a half a dozen at your local Guitar Center and play a bunch till you find a real good one, The Baja teles that I have played are pretty nice as well but not too crazy about the switching (for my tastes) The Squire 50s vibe is also a great buy.
all the best
 Tim

Jazzman3071

Reply with quote  #4 
Thaks for the great information guys. Tim are you talking about the pine body Squire tele?
http://www.zzounds.com/item--SQU0303025

I have a few more questions. Is the ash body worth the extra cost over Alder? Does this really affect sound? I have read and heard that alder is a bit more mellow and that ash is brighter. Any truth to this? With the price of the Squire classic 50s and the MIM tele being so close is it worth it to spend a few more and get an alder body or will the pine body sound just fine? So many variables with Teles.

I have also checked out Mike Raines...some cool stuff on his site. I was also talking to a custom builder wh contacted me through the site. Angelo is his name. I think his guitars are Grove City guitars? Anyone have any experience with him or his instruments?

Thanks so much for the information and help. I am not rich and want to be sure what I do buy is worth the money I do spend.

'Mike

Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzman3071
I have read and heard that alder is a bit more mellow and that ash is brighter. Any truth to this?

Yes, there is some truth to that. However, alder generally has a bit more sustain than ash so take that into consideration too. Looks-wise, ash can have beautiful grain. Alder grain is kind of boring looking. Sometimes ash can be very heavy, so don't get one of those. I asked Ted this question once and he said he liked both ash and alder for his teles. Of course, most of the really early Teles were made of ash, so if you want the vintage sound, go for a light to mid-weight ash body.

I would avoid pine because it is not as strong as the other woods.

Reply with quote  #6 
From what I have read the early teles were in a Pine body. I think I would have to play a bunch side by side to really say that MY ears liked one better than another. I would almost like to do a blind test and just play teles and pick the one that sounds the best.

I am leaning strongly towards a custom built tele or a parts caster. I am not a name brand whore. I just want something that sounds good and does what I want it to.

Reply with quote  #7 
To get an idea of how the Baja Tele sounds, I went to YouTube to see who was getting a good sound with one.  I came across Paul Kirk who plays a Mexican Fender Tele with a ’57 classic stock humbucker, flat wound 12–56 strings.  He seems to be a Ed Bickert fan, so he is going for that sound:

Check out his other Tele videos.  Some of them feature this particular Tele.

Nick

Reply with quote  #8 
My first post to this forum and I'm not asking a question! Imagine that!

I think that the early Highway One Teles are remarkable values - they have the wider string spacing (nice if you play finger style) and they are nice players. the later versions (2006 and beyond)  are not as desirable in my opinion, but the 2003-2005 models are quite nice and can be had for not much more than a used Mexican Standard.

Ken
klasaine

Reply with quote  #9 
I just got a MIM tele from probably '01 or '02 - Ebay.
FANTASTIC guitar and relatively inexpensive (less that 5 bills with a tweed hsc). Honestly, it's very close in quality and sound to two custom T's and an early ASAT.

Reply with quote  #10 
Ken,
I have one as well.  Best tele for me ever.  The neck and action are perfect.  Congrats and enjoy

Leon
DanSawyer

Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzman3071
Will pine give me that Ted tone?
No. Fender only used pine for a very few guitars and they stopped using it because the wood was too soft. I don't remember Ted ever owning a pine tele. If he did, it wasn't one of his favorites.

Reply with quote  #12 
Hi Dan,
I picked up a 50's Vibe Tele for a few hundred bucks.  It's a pine body and ya, it kinda sucks. It's really hard to do harmonics on it. 
Best,
Keith
DanSawyer

Reply with quote  #13 
That's interesting. I never heard of the 50's Vibe Tele and looked it up on online. Perhaps Squire/Fender found a stash of good pine to use. Some folks online like this model. I really don't like to generalize about wood since it is organic and every tree is different. However, pine is not considered a "hardwood" as ash and alder are.

Quick Navigation:

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE